Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tires for LR with uberturbines 10.5 wheels all around (squared)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@thesmokingman - agree with all your points. i dont mind the idea of 9.5 all around since i rarely have anyone / thing in the back -- except too late to go back to the guy who has my 9.5s lol
Iirc 285s are tight in front and rear ppl have stuffed 295/305 in the rear. However I'm not sure with a rear rim on the front. You could go 285/35 f+r, which still gives you a decent selection of tires whilst moving you closer to ideal and more curb protection. I'd check the front knuckle clearance to be sure.

Reactions: Snakedoc
what do you mean by front knuckle clearance? sorry i googled but got into more technical cases than i think you're referring to?
It's hilarious... I couldn't find the pic using the search engine here and had to resort to le google. As the tire gets taller you can run into the the upper a-arm joint, aka knuckle. Rubbing from width isn't so much an issue with the upright, big piece that connects to the a-arm. And then with your rim width and offset which places the wheel further outward, you might run into clearance issues with the fender liner under full lock. That said the fender liner isn't a big deal, can reform it with a heat gun and its only under full lock so as long as you're not doing donuts there's minimal concern.

pxl_20210108_151021867-jpg.625647

Reactions: HB-M3-MY
update - @thesmokingman thank you for calling out the knuckle. i moved my appointment up (tires arrived early) and went in tonight for swap.

the 275/40/21 looks great but that's it lol. knuckle rubbed against the tires on both sides (front) - one more side than the other b/c according to tech, the suspension being "placed" inherits a little human error off the factory line. we did a road test (round the block) and that knuckle was rubbing the entire time. kind of loud the entire time and after the road test could even smell the tire quite a bit. on turns, no extra rubbing against the side so that's a data point! though the knuckle rub on road test made me decide against driving home vs coming back to ask them to swap tomorrow.

tech said tomorrow AM they would put my old 275/35 back on in front (still have about 5.5-6/32 left) and keep the new 275/40 in the back. for those curious, I'll post a pic of that setup when i get the car again but im now left having to return 2 of the 275/40s + back to the drawing board on replacing the fronts soon. any recs would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Deaf Paul
Oh you went with 40 aspect, that is ballsy with the 10.5 +48! You can get away with 40 with the stock 9.5 +40 but as you have shown us, that latitude is gone with the rear rims. Hmm, I would source a matching set of 275/35 and call it a day. Using the 275/40 on the rears means you cannot rotate tires, etc partly defeating the point of square setup but you still dialed out some understeer so yay there.

@tainy22 first, thank you for pushing the boundary and trying it out...bummed that it didn't work out for you. i am assuming they are rubbing cuz they are too tall?
@thesmokingman as you suggested before, do you think the 285/35s would still work for @tainy22? they are slightly taller than the 275/35s, but much shorter than the 275/40s. however, I'm still a bit confused, because how does the tire size change when on the 9.5 vs 10.5? whether a 275/40 is on a 9.5 or 10.5 its the same size tire, right? i would think the 10.5 would stretch it a bit more and make it shorter than on a 9.5. just wondering since there have been a lot of reports of the 275/40s on 9.5s with no rubbing on the MYP...but not sure if that is because of the suspension differences between the MYP and MYLR.

@tainy22 first, thank you for pushing the boundary and trying it out...bummed that it didn't work out for you. i am assuming they are rubbing cuz they are too tall?
@thesmokingman as you suggested before, do you think the 285/35s would still work for @tainy22? they are slightly taller than the 275/35s, but much shorter than the 275/40s. however, I'm still a bit confused, because how does the tire size change when on the 9.5 vs 10.5? whether a 275/40 is on a 9.5 or 10.5 its the same size tire, right? i would think the 10.5 would stretch it a bit more and make it shorter than on a 9.5. just wondering since there have been a lot of reports of the 275/40s on 9.5s with no rubbing on the MYP...but not sure if that is because of the suspension differences between the MYP and MYLR.
Yep too tall. Was hitting the knuckle. Install last night was after dark. We’re switching back this am so maybe with light I can get a pic. Will update if possible to grab a pic

Thank you both for your insights

It's the offset on top of the inch wider rim, it's putting the inner edge of the rim that much closer to the knuckle. You can visualize it somewhat using using a wheel-offset-calculator or gis'ing backspacing. I don't know if 285's will work because the knuckle clearance would be an obvious limit, thus check that...

closing the loop here - hope these pics help folks see LR with 21" outcome potential. 275/35/21 all around on 10.5" rims.

not the happiest with the space in the wheel well on this size but idk many other options i had on 10.5s all around besides 275/40/21 which failed.

ride quality ~10 mi later (from OEM pirelli to OEM michelin) feels like 20% improvement on road bump/cracks/pothole absorption. wouldn't say full night/day difference from pirelli but noticeably better. will report back if wife (harsher critic) has any additional feedback...

tempImage3cROCe.jpg

tempImageU1gPaF.jpg

tempImagenOOxlV.jpg

tempImageBn2XUW.jpg

tempImageyi9WzE.jpg

I've seen some other threads where MYP owners are running 275/40/r21 on fronts and 295/40/r21 on rears. When i get new tires I am hoping 275/40 would work (i.e. no rubbing) since it will provide a bigger sidewall. I did see one thread where a MYLR owner said there was rubbing with 265/40/r21, but all the MYP owners running 275/40/r21 dont have any issues. I thought the MYLR would have more clearance, but idk. Im sure you already checked out the following link..https://tiresize.com/calculator....but helps understand the odometer errors as well. Since it is an originally staggered setup, not sure how the speedometer would change with a squared set. Looking forward to hearing any additional experience with a squared r21 set up on MYLR.
Keep us posted if the 40’s for without the running. I saw the Michelin Cross climate 2 in 275/40/21 & 255/40/21 with load rating of 102w on their website. These would be perfect for non track guys like me.

front vs back wheel.jpg

If you look at this picture you will see that with the 10.5" wide wheel and 48 offset compared to the 9.5" wide wheel with 40 offset the wheel face is in virtually identical positions, that means (as shown in the picture) that the extra inch of width moves the inner side of the wheel and tire an inch closer to the suspension components... so, when mounted on the front axle of a Tesla Model Y a tire that would not rub on the knuckle when mounted on the front Uberturbine wheel will rub when mounted on a rear Uberturbine wheel.

Keith

Forgot that you replied to this! When it comes time for you to replace your tires, what are you going with? Would it make sense to go 295/35/21 all around for a square setup on all rears?
I’ve thought about it, but I’m replacing the Uberturbines for a while 19 or 20 inch Titan 7 forged square set up since I use my MYP for my commuter car. Love the look of the Uberturbines, but these are way too heavy for any efficient use. 255/45/19 for a rim size of 19x8:5 or 265/40/20 for a 20x9 inch rim.