Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires for the Model X

Which tires for year round Chicago driving?

• CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • PIRELLI SCORPION WINTER

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello again,

Last time I asked about wheels, this time about tires :)
It seems Tire Rack has three options I will consider:

• YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X

I believe the Continental's are the same tires on my car now. I don't mind them, but I don't find them great either. I heard tire repairs with them can be tough though with the foam in them.

So I'm really deciding between the Pirelli and the Yokohama it seems. The Pirelli's sound great and I like them. However, I want to use the tires year round (Chicago suburb, so we do get some snow, but not anything like Minnesota or Canada :) ). What do you think of using winter tires year round?
The Yokohamas get good reviews too, I just don't know as much about them. Also, I would imagine there is a reason they are $100 less each then the Pirelli.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello again,

Last time I asked about wheels, this time about tires :)
It seems Tire Rack has three options I will consider:

• YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC-X

I believe the Continental's are the same tires on my car now. I don't mind them, but I don't find them great either. I heard tire repairs with them can be tough though with the foam in them.

So I'm really deciding between the Pirelli and the Yokohama it seems. The Pirelli's sound great and I like them. However, I want to use the tires year round (Chicago suburb, so we do get some snow, but not anything like Minnesota or Canada :) ). What do you think of using winter tires year round?
The Yokohamas get good reviews too, I just don't know as much about them. Also, I would imagine there is a reason they are $100 less each then the Pirelli.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Winter tires year round is a bad idea. First, they will wear rapidly in the warmer temperature due to their softer rubber. Second, braking and steering capability will be less than summer or all season tires.

I've been very pleased with the 19" Bridgestone Blizzak tires and wheels I bought from Tire Rack. Note that if you buy winter tires from Tesla they will also be 19". BTW, Blizzaks were rated second only to Nokian Hakkapellita winter tires for handling and braking in snow.
Winter Wheels.jpg

Whoa @FarmerDave i think this is the first post I have seen from someone using 19” wheels on a model X that don’t have winter tires attached. Nice!!

Have you noticed any range improvements with the 19” tires? If a 20” is so much more range than a 22” one would think a 19” is also beneficial. Any comments along these lines?

Not sure I’m a fan of the look of those 19 wheels. Would love a photo of them on your X if you got one. As a 60D owner I’d do just about anything for some more range :)

Last question — are all 4 wheels/tires the same size with your 19s? Or are they staggered front and back like the stock wheels from tesla?

So interesting! I’ve not seen anyone do this outside of winter tires.

Whoa @FarmerDave i think this is the first post I have seen from someone using 19” wheels on a model X that don’t have winter tires attached. Nice!!

Have you noticed any range improvements with the 19” tires? If a 20” is so much more range than a 22” one would think a 19” is also beneficial. Any comments along these lines?

Not sure I’m a fan of the look of those 19 wheels. Would love a photo of them on your X if you got one. As a 60D owner I’d do just about anything for some more range :)

Last question — are all 4 wheels/tires the same size with your 19s? Or are they staggered front and back like the stock wheels from tesla?

So interesting! I’ve not seen anyone do this outside of winter tires.
Sorry Mark, Bridgestone Blizzaks are winter tires. I honestly didn't care very much how the wheels looked, since most of the time they're used they will be covered with slush, mud and salt. But overall I'd say not bad! Here's how they look on the car:
Wearing Winter Wheels.jpg

Reactions: E Dizzle