TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tires make a big difference

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by David99, Apr 3, 2015.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

I had a P85+ today as a loaner and while I liked the slightly better pickup compared to my normal 85, the 21 inch wheels and performance tires come at the cost of higher energy usage. It's more than just subtle, it's somewhere around 7-10% more. I drove the same roads in very similar traffic in both cars and the difference was obvious.
    Tire noise is also worse. It was actually the first thing I noticed when I started driving. Much more noisy tires compared to my 19 inch. The first moments I really though, 'what is that noise?'

Los Angeles' bad roads make 19 inch wheels a wiser choice as well.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes, tires, not wheels, make a big difference.

3. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

In a couple weeks, I’m doing my annual spring swap from my 19” (Pirelli) to my 21” (Conti) but this year I’m also adding new Contis (mine are already worn out). Tesla has new tires from Continental that are supposed to be much quiter, they were developed specifically for Tesla. IIRC they have foam or something inside them which helps with road noise. I’m pretty anxious to see (hear) the difference when I get them.

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s a link to a thread on telsa motor’s forum:
    http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/tesla-specific-continental-silent-5p-21-tires-wow

4. fosh

fosh Member

@jhs_7645 - Which 19" Pirelli's do you have?

5. Zextraterrestrial

wheels do make a big difference in cornering.
    but efficiency is killed by wide sticky staggered tires. especially if the offset pushes them out a bit
    and they are much louder

6. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

The stock ones that came with my 19" when I got them early 2013 - Sottozero Winter 240 Serie II

Since I only have them on during the late fall / winter / early spring they're great.