Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires make a big difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
I had a P85+ today as a loaner and while I liked the slightly better pickup compared to my normal 85, the 21 inch wheels and performance tires come at the cost of higher energy usage. It's more than just subtle, it's somewhere around 7-10% more. I drove the same roads in very similar traffic in both cars and the difference was obvious.
Tire noise is also worse. It was actually the first thing I noticed when I started driving. Much more noisy tires compared to my 19 inch. The first moments I really though, 'what is that noise?'

Los Angeles' bad roads make 19 inch wheels a wiser choice as well.

In a couple weeks, I’m doing my annual spring swap from my 19” (Pirelli) to my 21” (Conti) but this year I’m also adding new Contis (mine are already worn out). Tesla has new tires from Continental that are supposed to be much quiter, they were developed specifically for Tesla. IIRC they have foam or something inside them which helps with road noise. I’m pretty anxious to see (hear) the difference when I get them.

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s a link to a thread on telsa motor’s forum:
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/tesla-specific-continental-silent-5p-21-tires-wow