Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires matter for Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A 8% range hit with new tires - beware! I have a RWD LR with the 18" wheels AERO covers. The factory Michelin Primacy MXM4 gave great range as our watts/mile averaged about 245 for the first 33,000 miles. Then I got new tires Michelin Cross Climate + which had great ratings and the more aggressive tread looked like it would be better for the snow. They make the car feel even more planted, BUT my watts/mile had jumped 10% on the same long drive under the same weather conditions. So 300 miles now become 276. The Primacy MXM4 is rated as a Green X, where the Cross Climate is not.

• Helpful
Reactions: Char
A 8% range hit with new tires - beware! I have a RWD LR with the 18" wheels AERO covers. The factory Michelin Primacy MXM4 gave great range as our watts/mile averaged about 245 for the first 33,000 miles. Then I got new tires Michelin Cross Climate + which had great ratings and the more aggressive tread looked like it would be better for the snow. They make the car feel even more planted, BUT my watts/mile had jumped 10% on the same long drive under the same weather conditions. So 300 miles now become 276. The Primacy MXM4 is rated as a Green X, where the Cross Climate is not.

Yeah, I have found the CrossClimate+ are pretty similar efficiency to the PS4S.

I select 20” wheels in the wheel config to have the Energy Trip predictions be reasonably accurate. The 18” and 19” configs seem to consistently result in very optimistic predictions when using the CrossClimate+.

Good to know. Thanks.

I may be exaggerating but when people here talk about tires, other people start spouting about Michelin Pilot super sports and how they stop better in the rain balls blah and prevents you from hitting little kids and puppies. But really it depends on the driver. I agree about the stock tires they serve it’s purpose for people like me who want max range and don’t track their car or drive their car aggressively. I don’t think my grand am driving is gonna be any difference between the stock tires and the super sports.
Anyway let me know if you change tires to eco tires I’m up for new tires in 8k miles or so. I’m eager for increasing my range to be honest.

I may be exaggerating but when people here talk about tires, other people start spouting about Michelin Pilot super sports and how they stop better in the rain balls blah and prevents you from hitting little kids and puppies. But really it depends on the driver

I mean, it really doesn't.

Physics is physics.

Stickier tires stop in less distance. Rain OR shine.

Dry stopping is roughly 25% shorter from 60 mph comparing the MXM4s and the PS4s for example on the Model 3...

Now TOTAL stopping time with each tire set, the driver difference (reaction time) might vary- but that roughly 25% shortening of distance once the brakes are slammed down? Physics doesn't care about the driver...just the tires and road surface.

Reactions: Mash
As with any car, tires will affect efficiency. That being said, most people won't notice or care about a few mpg on the ICE car.

The benefit to the 18" MXM4's is that they are incredibly efficient. The downside is that they are not very grippy. The 19" Continental is about in the middle, and the 20" PS4S is geared more towards the other end of the spectrum. Just to be clear, the efficiency differences are primarily in the tire, not the wheel.

As an example, my 18" 200tw track day tires are about 25% less efficient than the 18" MXM4's.

I may be exaggerating but when people here talk about tires, other people start spouting about Michelin Pilot super sports and how they stop better in the rain balls blah and prevents you from hitting little kids and puppies. But really it depends on the driver.

Hey, what's wrong with hitting little kids and puppies? I resent you holding my pastimes up for ridicule..........