Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires Model Y Long Range 19 Inch Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Long Range Model Y? The factory Continental Procontact RX tires are LRR tires. Treadwear life of any tire depends on many variables. One negative about the Procontact RX is the tire performs poorly in winter driving. Usually Tesla Model Y owners are searching for a better all-season tire than the factory tires.

There are many tires available in 255/45R-19, XL, 104W or 104Y spec.

Tirerack.com would be a good place to start your search.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Having high performance and being LRR is a tough combo to achieve. The stock tires are good. I have not tried the CC2 but folks seem to like those as well. Folks also like the DWS06 which is a UHP AS tire but it is not LRR and will give about a 10% range penalty give or take.

I replaced the factory shoes on my Model 3 with heavy and stiff Bridgestone Driveguards back in 2021. They weren’t LRR, and even had cooling vanes molded into the sidewalls to enable runflat performance out to 50 miles. I never noticed any kind of range loss.

I’m sure LRR tires have some kind of benefit, otherwise tire and vehicle manufacturers wouldn’t bother with them. But I think it’s quite small.

Reactions: Anser
Having high performance and being LRR is a tough combo to achieve.
Actually, the opposite is true. Low rolling resistance comes from high flexibility to maintain high road contact without hysteresis losses. This translates to greater contact for increased braking and cornering. And low rolling resistance tires are more comfortable too. They are like a miracle on the road. This was a huge discovery and breakthrough in the bicycling world a while ago.

Which leads me to my key curiosity... Are there any tire enthusiast sites or reviewers that do actual tests of low rolling resistance tires? My initial googles came up blank. By contrast for bicycle tires, there are several reviewers who do real tests to calculate Crr of tires that amateurs and pros use. Continental makes the very best low rolling resistance bicycle tires, and Michelin is 2nd best. (Continental actually accidentally developed them about 8 years ago, and everyone else copied them.) Those two companies know how to do this in one domain, but I do not think it has fully translated over to their auto tire lines.

Reactions: GSP
Consumer Reports tests tires for rolling resistance, but they don't give you a numerical score. They rate them using their usual metric. The WinterCommand Ultra tires I'm using now rank as "Good" for rolling resistance, while the CrossClimate 2 is "Fair." I know they have some kind of empirical testing behind that, but they don't tell you much about it.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Anser
The Tesla Model Y is heavier than many vehicles of similar size, requires an Extra Load (XL) rated tire. There are not as many XL tires that are also LRR.

I disagree. I think that’s a common myth because people assume EVs are heavier.

My Model Y weighs 4,400 lbs. I had a Chrysler Pacifica minivan that weighed 4,900 lbs and didn’t require XL-rated tires. My EV6 was a smaller EV and weighed 4,680 lbs and didn’t require XL tires. Both of these had higher GVWRs than my Model Y.

Heck, the Ford Edge AWD is a slightly smaller car and weighs 4,357 lbs.

The Model Y is the only one of these that requires XL-rated tires. I don’t know why Tesla made that choice, but it’s not because they’re heavier than similar cars.

Can someone recommend tires for model Y long range 19 inch? I am looking all season tires that are LRR/maximize range and last for awhile.
Purchased new tires for Model Y with 19" wheels two weeks ago. Goodyear has introduced a brand new tire for EV's-"Electric Drive" , meets spec's of Original Tesla OE tires. Replaced Continental OE tires that was worn out at about 20K. Tire rides better. improved traction, quieter and 45,000 mi wear warranty. Purchased from Discount Tire and is also available at Goodyear Stores and Tire rack. Tire is vast improvement over the OE tire. Goodyear Electric Drive is a "Grand Touring-All Season tire".

Purchased new tires for Model Y with 19" wheels two weeks ago. Goodyear has introduced a brand new tire for EV's-"Electric Drive" , meets spec's of Original Tesla OE tires. Replaced Continental OE tires that was worn out at about 20K. Tire rides better. improved traction, quieter and 45,000 mi wear warranty. Purchased from Discount Tire and is also available at Goodyear Stores and Tire rack. Tire is vast improvement over the OE tire. Goodyear Electric Drive is a "Grand Touring-All Season tire".
If you get a chance to drive them in snow, let us know how they do!

Reactions: MrWattson