Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires Model Y Long Range 19 Inch Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing that makes the crossclimate2 unique is their “3 peak snowflake rating”

I would say that the crossclimates are all season, but more geared towards the winter/snow.

I wouldn’t call them unique, but they are perhaps the most well-known example of a new type of tire. They’re known as “all-weather” tires, and they’re relatively new in the market.

General has a new Altimax 365 AW, Firestone has the Weathergrip, Goodyear has the Assurance Weatherready, and there are a bunch more. They're all severe snow service rated, which is the 3-peak snowflake rating you mentioned. I think these will eventually replace all-season tires in the northern states over the next few years.

I wouldn’t call them unique, but they are perhaps the most well-known example of a new type of tire. They’re known as “all-weather” tires, and they’re relatively new in the market.

General has a new Altimax 365 AW, Firestone has the Weathergrip, Goodyear has the Assurance Weatherready, and there are a bunch more. They're all severe snow service rated, which is the 3-peak snowflake rating you mentioned. I think these will eventually replace all-season tires in the northern states over the next few years.
Thanks for that info! I’ve been going to Costco and I know they have the crossclimate.

I don’t know if any of those would work on the uberturbine, but I’ll keep the others in mind if/when I switch to 19’s.

I'm on Vredestein Quatrac Pros. Technically they're a Grand Touring All Weather tire but I find them just fine in terms of performance for regular road usage. The reason I got them was for their wet/snow performance. They are 3 snowflake rated. For a relatively lower cost tire (or any cost non-snow specific tire for that matter), they performed amazing in the snow. Beyond expectations. Been through a couple major snowstorms already and have had no negative issues. Last year, in similar weather, my stock tires were all over the place and I would slip every time I even thought about letting off the gas even a little bit and it would get squirrely anytime I applied even a little extra pressure on the gas. With the Quatrac Pros, I could drive almost normally. When I first put on the tires, I took a hit on efficiency but it's since leveled off to a negligible difference.

Last edited:
I love hearing this.
I'm on Vredestein Quatrac Pros. Technically they're a Grand Touring All Weather tire but I find them just fine in terms of performance for regular road usage. The reason I got them was for their wet/snow performance. They are 3 snowflake rated. For a relatively lower cost tire (or any cost non-snow specific tire for that matter), they performed amazing in the snow. Beyond expectations. Been through a couple major snowstorms already and have had no negative issues. Last year, in similar weather, my stock tires were all over the place and I would slip every time I even thought about letting off the gas even a little bit and it would get squirrely anytime I applied even a little extra pressure on the gas. With the Quatrac Pros, I could drive almost normally. When I first put on the tires, I took a hit on efficiency but it's since leveled off to a negligible difference.
Love hearing this.

I’m running dedicated winter tires because I already had them laying around, and my only cost was expen$ive TPMS sensors. And my self-respect; these things don’t look great.

But avoiding the added expense of a second set of tires and wheels is a big deal. I saw one test video where the CrossClimate 2s performed 95% as well as dedicated snows in a controlled test. I think the newer all-weather tires like the Quatrack and CrossClimate make a lot more sense than swapping tires twice a year.

Reactions: dagug
I live in the land of ice and snow so a good set of tires for the winter is an absolute must for me. I used to always swap wheel/tire for my winter setup but it's always a hassle and invariably leave on my winter tires longer than I should...
When I consider the cost of new rubber + new wheels and the garage space I have to dedicate to a stack of wheels/tires in order to get a dedicated winter setup vs the cost of just a single set of new rubber... it's such a massive difference that the decision was a no-brainer for me. Of course the equation changes a bit if I already had any extras sitting around. Also, I absolutely hate the stock rubber and any excuse to get rid of them was welcome for me ;) So there's that.

I disagree. I think that’s a common myth because people assume EVs are heavier.

My Model Y weighs 4,400 lbs. I had a Chrysler Pacifica minivan that weighed 4,900 lbs and didn’t require XL-rated tires. My EV6 was a smaller EV and weighed 4,680 lbs and didn’t require XL tires. Both of these had higher GVWRs than my Model Y.

Heck, the Ford Edge AWD is a slightly smaller car and weighs 4,357 lbs.

The Model Y is the only one of these that requires XL-rated tires. I don’t know why Tesla made that choice, but it’s not because they’re heavier than similar cars.
I've noticed Tesla undersizes the width of their tires on the wheels.
Y's are running nearly a full 1" to 1.5" wider wheels than typical w/ 255's
they also go 45 instead of 55 on sidewall.
I can only guess they found stretching the tire over to somehow gain efficency. (This is also a reason it's so easy to curb Teslas).

With this setup, I can see where XL's would be needed for load rating and added psi.
Also, speed rating Y or W tires just don't last as long. No matter what car it's on.

Though I have no proof, the instant torque and regen logically contribute to increased tire wear. Of course, that's driver dependent.

I'm curious if anyone has used wider SL p tires and experienced range loss or gain. Lighter weight and increased comfort...
but Tesla made the tradeoff with maximizing XL tires instead of SL's so I have to assume there was a good (or at least logical) reason for it.

tire manufacturers are jumping on the ev bandwagon with added sound deadening and "ev specific" tires so i'm sure prices will go up accordingly...