Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires: Model Y Performance with 21" Ubertines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't find my MYP to be that loud... Stock 21s or even with studded, winter tires on it. It did however, catch me off guard with the noise the snow made when it hits the underside of the vehicle. (really, slush) I drove the vehicle from my delivery area to a tire shop for the winter tires so I had a way to compare on the same road. Of course I didn't do a db rating... One thing I did notice - just how much the air ride suspension in our JGC smooths out the bumpy roads. That's even with 18s with a lot of sidewall on them.

Interesting. I have the 2021 MYP and just replaced my factory Uberturbines with a set of 19” Tsportline TSV wheels with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4s and both the noise level and comfort have improved over the P Zeroes. Their performance is also much better in close to freezing temperatures.
I'm taking delivery soon on MYP and like what you have done with the swap. Thinking of doing the same. I'm looking at the TSportline website and it looks like your config wheels and Michelin's is $3.6K. Are you planning on selling your Ubertines and Perelli's? I'm looking at eBay and they don't seem to be going for much more than $3.0K....

Sorry I'm somewhat new to this, so maybe this has already been answered. I'm getting a MYP delivered soon, and really like the 21" rims that come with the car. Can I swap out to a different set of tires (on a permanent basis) that are a little more appropriate for midwest winters? Or do I need to swap the rims as well?

Sorry I'm somewhat new to this, so maybe this has already been answered. I'm getting a MYP delivered soon, and really like the 21" rims that come with the car. Can I swap out to a different set of tires (on a permanent basis) that are a little more appropriate for midwest winters? Or do I need to swap the rims as well?
It is a personal choice. You can swap the original equipment Pirelli PZero (PZ4) maximum performance summer tires if you can find a tire that fits the front wheel size (255/35R21) and Rear (275/35R21). Many prefer to purchase a winter wheel and tire package. There are more tire choices for the 19" wheels and the 20" wheels. A smaller wheel means a taller sidewall that can hopefully survive impact with a pothole better than the lower profile tire. If you purchase a winter wheel and tire package you will also need to purchase a set of (4) tire pressure monitor sensors (TPMS.) The correct Bluetooth type TPMS can be purchased from Tesla or from TireRack.

Check TireRack.com for a selection of tires that will fit the 21" wheels on the Performance Model Y. (Note: currently TireRack is only showing summer performance tires in 21" for the Performance Model Y so check back as it gets closer to the end of summer.) Tesla sells 19" and 20" winter wheel and tire packages. To ensure your order for Tesla's winter wheel and tire package you should order in advance so it is not out of stock when you need it. (Note: The Tesla winter wheel and tire packages (19" and 20") are currently out of stock. You can enter your email address and Tesla will notify you when the wheel and tire package is available.)

Last edited:
If you purchase a set of winter wheels and tires Tesla Mobile Service can change your wheels. This should cost the same as rotating the tires. I don't believe these need to be Tesla wheels for Tesla Mobile Service to do the swap.

Bahhhh, so after driving on the new Michilen's for 7 months and about 13k miles the rear tires are nearly down to the wear bars! Nearly all highway driving on my daily 90 mile commute

If the fronts were nearly equal I would blame my Sport mode acceleration and lead foot.....but with AWD I sure would have liked to have seen more equal wear. It seems the rear bias is burning out those rear tires (it was nearly the same with the stock Pirelli's but since the fronts were about 75% gone I replaced them with the rears in January.

Any other Model Y Performance owner as disappointed with the wear variance front to back?
I don't want to switch to Chill mode, but I didn't plan on buying new tires every 8 months and 15k miles

Bahhhh, so after driving on the new Michilen's for 7 months and about 13k miles the rear tires are nearly down to the wear bars! Nearly all highway driving on my daily 90 mile commute

If the fronts were nearly equal I would blame my Sport mode acceleration and lead foot.....but with AWD I sure would have liked to have seen more equal wear. It seems the rear bias is burning out those rear tires (it was nearly the same with the stock Pirelli's but since the fronts were about 75% gone I replaced them with the rears in January.

Any other Model Y Performance owner as disappointed with the wear variance front to back?
I don't want to switch to Chill mode, but I didn't plan on buying new tires every 8 months and 15k miles
Make a warranty claim with Michelin. Their usual warranty is usually either 30k or 60k depending on the tire, but because they're offset, the amount is halved (so 15k or 30k).

Reactions: Young Phenom
I feel like the wear on the tires is not specific to the Model Y. On my model 3 Performance LR, I had to replace both of the tires after a little over 10k miles. I was surprised as I thought it was due to moving to Florida from Washington State. 😀

By the time I realized it, most of the tread on the rear tires was completely worn down. The crazy thing is that I was driving many more highway miles using Autopilot. Not sure if that made a difference or that the temperature is of course much hotter. Perhaps that helps accelerate the tread wear.

Interested in how this played out. Did you attempt to make a warranty claim with Michelin? I'm trying to decide between swapping the MYP OEM Pirellis with the Michelin AS on the 21" Ubers vs an aftermarket 20" setup with Quatrac Pros for winter. Wondering if you'd do it differently knowing what you know now?

Interested in how this played out. Did you attempt to make a warranty claim with Michelin? I'm trying to decide between swapping the MYP OEM Pirellis with the Michelin AS on the 21" Ubers vs an aftermarket 20" setup with Quatrac Pros for winter. Wondering if you'd do it differently knowing what you know now?

Funny you ask now...I just replaced the rears a week ago. Michelin gave me a 50% discount on the tires, but Belle Tire charged for installation and resold me the Road Hazard Protection plan, so the two rears installed cost me $410. I'd probably do the same again

The confusing part is my Y is AWD Performance but the front tires had barely any wear despite the rears being nearly bald.

Funny you ask now...I just replaced the rears a week ago. Michelin gave me a 50% discount on the tires, but Belle Tire charged for installation and resold me the Road Hazard Protection plan, so the two rears installed cost me $410. I'd probably do the same again

The confusing part is my Y is AWD Performance but the front tires had barely any wear despite the rears being nearly bald.
Sounds like that may just be the price you pay for an EV with a staggered setup. I ended up ordering the A/S 4s (265/40/21 front, 285/40/21 rear) to swap onto the Ubers when I take delivery. I fully expect I'll likely see the same wear pattern you've seen but will try to enjoy those 15k miles as much as possible!

This is normal for the dual motor Tesla Model Y. The Long Range and Performance Model Y are rear drive biased. The front motor is not assisting until ~30% or more of full throttle is being used. Most of the time the front drive unit is not active unless the Tesla Model Y detects wheel slip a the rear wheels. When you accelerate at full power this can cause some initial wheel slip at the rear wheels, cause excessive tire wear. Some Performance Model Y owners use Chill mode to conserve, reduce wear on the rear tires.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Corndart and 907XCP
Watch the TFL MYP traction video. MYP has significant rear bias ala BMW which I thoroughly enjoy.
I read the forums ahead of time and realized the UT's and summer tires aren't long for this world. Have 19" wheels in hand, still thinking/reading about which all seasons to get.
All reports say 19" = better acceleration, ride quality, and yes, even handling as a few track videos show the staggered setup plows more than 19's on both ends.