Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires need to be replaced at 14,500. 2020 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 Model 3 Performance. Just under 15k miles. Down to 3-4mm left on tires. Both discount tire and tesla says need to be replaced.

Is that about normal? Mileage wise?

How much did you all pay to have tires replaced?

Good news, i guess, is Michelin is putting up 37% of cost to replace. I don’t drive it that hard, i‘d say. My wife might say otherwise.

It does have coil overs, UPP sway bars. Camber is a bit more negative than spec, but nothing terrible (-1.4, -1.8; front; -1.0, -1.4 rear).

Wear is only 1mm between outer and inner of tire.

Ouch.

What have others paid?

i’m inclined to drive it a bit longer until it starts to rain again, and then go to ane empty parking lot and burn the tires bald. Nice thing about track mode.

Anyway. How many miles most of you get? any of you change to other 20” tires?

Reactions: RevToRed
2020 Model 3 Performance. Just under 15k miles. Down to 3-4mm left on tires. Both discount tire and tesla says need to be replaced.

Is that about normal? Mileage wise?
According to https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S&partnum=335YR0PS4SXLAC&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Model 3 AWD Performance&autoModClar=w/Chrome Exterior Trim , those tires started at 9/32" and have a treadwear warranty of 30,000 miles (to 2/32") if bought as replacement tires.

So it looks like you got about 3,000 to 3,750 miles per 1/32" of treadwear, which means you probably have about 6,000 to 7,500 miles left to 2/32", for a total mileage of 21,000 to 22,500 if you drove them down to 2/32" (but that can be less safe in rainy weather).

So basically, you are wearing out the tires at about 1.3 to 1.4 times the rate that the treadwear warranty for replacement tires assumes. That is in the believable range if you tend to accelerate and brake hard (like a lot of drivers on this forum, given the frequency of "rapid tire wear" complaints). Modified suspension may also have an effect, or it may indicate driving habits that tend to wear out tires faster.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Thanks for the input.
I rarely brake using the left pedal and rarely accelerate super hard from a stop. I do have a tendency to go around corners quickly when no one else in the car, or on freeway cloverleafs. When car was new i did go into a parking lot and do a bit of “drifting” if you get my drift. But only done that twice and not for long.

so i guess the question is, would Michelin give me moro towards new tires if i was at 2/32 versus 4/32? They gave me 37% towards a replacement set.

wonder if it is a ratio of the miles warrantied, versus miles driven on the tires taking into account the remaining tread. Probably not worth fretting over. I live in the Seattle area and we’ve had no measurable rain since late June. But that will end soon. Discount tires says tires are back ordered, but i think the dude said by the Friday they should have them in stock.

Told my wife replacing tires is not an exciting “upgrade” since it is basically back to how the car was when it showed up new.

Will it be a bit quieter? Maybe that’s a bonus.

so i guess the question is, would Michelin give me moro towards new tires if i was at 2/32 versus 4/32? They gave me 37% towards a replacement set.

wonder if it is a ratio of the miles warrantied, versus miles driven on the tires taking into account the remaining tread. Probably not worth fretting over.
The tire company's warranty fine print will have the formula.

However, if the tires came with the car, consider anything you get here to be a bonus, since most tire treadwear warranties do not apply to tires that come with new cars. Probably Michelin is giving you something for marketing goodwill purposes.

And as I said in that thread, being 10mm off on toe is not a function of lowering the front 1/2”. It would have happened regardless of the lowered front suspension.

It’s a fault of poor quality control at tesla. And I’ll say it again, check ur alignment on your new car.

And as I said in that thread, being 10mm off on toe is not a function of lowering the front 1/2”. It would have happened regardless of the lowered front suspension.

It’s a fault of poor quality control at tesla. And I’ll say it again, check ur alignment on your new car.
And as someone that has messed with suspension a lot, and does my own alignments, a 1/2" drop will 100% mess up your toe 10mm.