Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires on Plaid+ Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the announcement of the refresh took place, I think Elon stated that there would be “special” tires on the new Model S to accommodate the plaid+ speed and acceleration. The web site indicates that the 21” wheels/tires will be staggered but beyond that provides no other specs. Does anyone know what the specs for the tires will be and which tires will come with the car? Or will this be a totally new tire designed for the Plaid+ by Michelin or some other manufacturer?

I have no idea but the standard choice, at least when I placed my oder, was 19". It's highly likely that those tires will not be typical OEM quality. I. too, would like to know.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and need more information on the differences between Plaid and Plaid+ in order to make a decision on which is best for my daily use. Regarding the tires, there are these small clues on the product pages and ordering page regarding the regular Plaid model.

"The indicated Plaid top speed requires proper wheels and tires which will be available in Fall 2021."

"Top Speed: 200 mph†
†when equipped with the proper wheels and tires (available fall 2021)"

The front tires shown for the plaid and plaid+ on the web site are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/35-21, which are available now. One has to imagine, as they’re staggered, that the rears will be a least 285s, which are also available now (as are sizes with a larger tread width up to 355/25ZR21).

But as some of you have noted, they won’t be available until Fall 2021, which makes me believe they will be a new tire, probably made by Michelin. I’m excited that a new tire (possibly) will be made for the Plaid and Plaid+.

Last edited:
My guess also is it will be something new with maybe even softer compound than the Pilot Sport 4S, as I have a P100D with PS4S on it now, and literally I feel like I am at the acceleration traction limit of the tires. It has to be a nice and dry day with non-cold tires to not get a little slip at full power launch with Ludi+ mode. I've often wondered how they were gonna get more torque to the ground to improve 0-60 with Plaid, and that can't be just via bigger motors. The rubber has to change also. Yes, they could probably just use wider rear tires, but they probably chose wider AND a stickier compound... resulting in either a new line or some special "Tesla PLAID" version of PS4S.

I agree on Cup2

they came stock on my C7Z06/Z07. They’re awful as a driver. They are terrible in the rain. They do not communicate with the driver very well. And they heat cycle and become useless even before you wear the tread all the way down.

That said, they’re great for putting down excellent track times. They’ll go with Cup2s so they can say the sub 7 minute Nring time was full stock. It’s what all the manufacturers do.

Just do what I did, wear them into the ground quickly and then swap with PS4S. You could also always take them off right away and sell them. Most people don’t know they suck. lol

But, definitely don’t let tires be a deciding factor on what car to buy.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
I hope it’s not Cup 2s. Ain’t no one driving those in the rain.

Ahhh, there's tons of siping there. :)

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 7.28.32 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms
I agree on Cup2

they came stock on my C7Z06/Z07. They’re awful as a driver. They are terrible in the rain. They do not communicate with the driver very well. And they heat cycle and become useless even before you wear the tread all the way down.

That said, they’re great for putting down excellent track times. They’ll go with Cup2s so they can say the sub 7 minute Nring time was full stock. It’s what all the manufacturers do.

Just do what I did, wear them into the ground quickly and then swap with PS4S. You could also always take them off right away and sell them. Most people don’t know they suck. lol

But, definitely don’t let tires be a deciding factor on what car to buy.

Exactly. Cup2 are basically street legal track tires. I think they used Cup2 for the Nurburgring tests as well.

Curious what the “200+ mph” tires will be..

I realize this is a thread about the Plaid+ but there is mention of the tires for the “regular” Plaid’s specs, looks like they need half a year to figure it out:

A221525E-C917-4708-8508-4CE063FB1974.jpeg

Last edited:
Just poking around a bit, and looking at these 2 shots of the 2022 refresh, the first picture shows not much change in regard to the hood and fender, but the one below, from above in this thread, with performance wheels/tires shows another bump in the top fender; that is revised aerodynamics to flow the air around the rearview mirrors I presume...

If the Plaid fender needed to be a little wider than the "stock" non-Plaid model S to fit the new wheels, then the bumper would have to be a little wider at the bottom to fit the fender too, right?

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 6.44.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 6.44.53 AM.png

I’ll be the first to admit the Cup 2s are not that practical. But they have been on my daily driver Model 3 for the last 6 months and while they’re not great in the rain, I’ve had no trouble using them in any weather. And they’re great fun for a (dry) weekend of spirited driving. But the tread life is gonna suck.