Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires rubbing only when in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 85D has been in and out the SC as they can't figure out the problem.

Front tires rub only on reverse as I'm turning all the way to the left or right.

After reading and thinking, could it be the caster? In the picture, on the left is a report from April 2019 (where no rubbing occurred), the right is a report from November 2019 where rubbing is happening

The caster in April seems like a huge difference to now?

Attachments

• EF4325AA-01CF-4021-B09A-5068FE2A3C64.jpeg
    EF4325AA-01CF-4021-B09A-5068FE2A3C64.jpeg
    404.3 KB · Views: 352
2015 85D has been in and out the SC as they can't figure out the problem.

Front tires rub only on reverse as I'm turning all the way to the left or right.

After reading and thinking, could it be the caster? In the picture, on the left is a report from April 2019 (where no rubbing occurred), the right is a report from November 2019 where rubbing is happening

The caster in April seems like a huge difference to now?

Caster should not do that and alignment was corrected anyway.

Do you have staggered front and rear wheels (Arachnid)? If so, the fronts and rears may be swapped.
Front right tire rubbing through fender into wiring? PICS*

Other option is deformed wheel liner:
Front Tire Wheel Well Rubbing in reverse - FIX

Wrong tires on staggered rims:
Tires rubbing

Reactions: MP3Mike
I have stock 245/45/19 all around

I was thinking the numbers on the previous alignment better suited my S if that's even possible?

Half a degree should not move the tire enough to interfere. I'd check out the wheel liner. Another thing to try is have a person outside the car look at the wheel to wheel well gap while switching between drive and reverse and moving a little to see is something is shifting that should not.

Funny question but have you looked under the back end? This sounds like something that could be a rear diffuser hanging down that only makes sound when you're in reverse because it's hanging the other direction if that makes sense. I would start by laying down and looking underneath the back of the car and follow the diffuser all the way up and make sure that all four of them are still fully attached and none of them are hanging down.

Half a degree should not move the tire enough to interfere. I'd check out the wheel liner. Another thing to try is have a person outside the car look at the wheel to wheel well gap while switching between drive and reverse and moving a little to see is something is shifting that should not.

the gap is sooooo close but their is clearance. Tried the heat gun trick but no luck.

Funny question but have you looked under the back end? This sounds like something that could be a rear diffuser hanging down that only makes sound when you're in reverse because it's hanging the other direction if that makes sense. I would start by laying down and looking underneath the back of the car and follow the diffuser all the way up and make sure that all four of them are still fully attached and none of them are hanging down.

took a look and all looks ok, this is becoming a head scratcher

I have exactly the same problem.
The original wheels 19" and Michelin Primacy tires fit and worked perfectly.
I purchased from Tire Rack 19" Rial Lugano wheels and Michelin Ice X snows. Unbeknownst to me these were 8.5 in compared to the original 8.0.
Only the snows make the noise when backing up and the wheel turned fully. I've checked multiple times but no damage to either the tire or the fender liner has occurred over the 4 winters I've used them.
Oh well, next time I'll specify 8.0 inch rims.

John

I have exactly the same problem.
The original wheels 19" and Michelin Primacy tires fit and worked perfectly.
I purchased from Tire Rack 19" Rial Lugano wheels and Michelin Ice X snows. Unbeknownst to me these were 8.5 in compared to the original 8.0.
Only the snows make the noise when backing up and the wheel turned fully. I've checked multiple times but no damage to either the tire or the fender liner has occurred over the 4 winters I've used them.
Oh well, next time I'll specify 8.0 inch rims.

John
Yeah, seems like that shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder why webbbcam has the issue as well?

I had a similar problem, although not quite the same (noise rather than scraping) but it might be worth checking. Essentially the factory put the steering wheel on crooked, and then aligned the life out of the front end to make the car go straight. On full lock this then caused significant noises - maybe those noises were scraping.....not sure. Fortunately my local tesla guy found it just before he was about to realign the subframe that holds the front end (has the subframe been checked?), he popped the steering wheel off and realigned everything the easy way. Problem fixed.