TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tires sizing for 3P+

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JADCa, Dec 4, 2018.

1. 4hs93lsi2

4hs93lsi2 Member

The OP later says on different threads that he has rubbing and that he’ll definitely go 245 next time:
    Tesla model 3 rims : TeslaModel3

I found the answer to my own question. The motor trend article about track mode says “10mm wider” than stock rather than saying 245 when talking about Tesla Engineering sportcup 2 setup. Made all my google searches not hit. I definitely don’t want the cup 2s for street use. Now I can happily sleep at night and buy the 245s.

• Like x 1
  2. bradhs

bradhs Member

I updated my comparison to add the 255/35ZR20 tire specs:

upload_2019-5-16_6-56-21.png

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  3. bradhs

bradhs Member

Great find. I agree regarding the Cup 2's not for street use. Since I am going with the 4S I'm wondering if I'll have just a little more clearance then the AS since it has less tread depth.

• Like x 1
  4. 4hs93lsi2

4hs93lsi2 Member

This is a non answer. Sorry. It might depend. Google “Pilot 4S specs” or “MXM/(whatever tire) specs” to get the tire spec sheet. There you’ll sometimes find multiple variants for the same tire. There’s different tread depth 4Ss in the 245/35/20. I’m gonna go for the lowest tread depth and lightest tire. Hopefully it works out.

• Like x 1
  5. JADCa

JADCa Member

Looks like you found the MotorTrend article about using 245's.

I ended up replacing the rears with 245 as planned, leaving the fronts at 235 initially. Computer was happy and the car was not noticeably different. Same tail happy at the limit behavior. Just had to replace the fronts and now have a square 245 setup. Everything is great with no noticeable changes, just slightly more aggressive look and slightly more grip, at least in theory.

All the changes are so minor, I can't tell from the drivers seat, including range. Too many variables to really notice 2-3% changes.

I feel better having bigger tires :)

• Like x 1
  6. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I have 265's on 9.5" wheels without rubbing, so 245 or 255 is easily achievable.

• Like x 1
  7. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

DITTO.

This will depend on the sidewall profile/ratio though.

• Like x 1
  8. zhu-

zhu- Member

I've seen people here with both 255/40R19 and 255/35R19 and they appear to have no issues. Would it change anything if coilovers or lowering springs with minimal <1 inch height reduction were installed?

9. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

This is a width/offset dependent question, but if you keep both of those close to what others are running, you should be fine as far as clearing the fenders and other wheel well parts. Where you could run into issues is if you get new wheels and get the offset wrong, and now that taller tire is too close to the front suspension upright.

• Informative x 1