Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires, tires, tires ?? Kumho PS91??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly a street car but hopefully a hpde day or 2 if things every go back to normal. 95%street/5%track
Running 9.5 x 19" et35 rims currently

Anybody running Kumho PS91? Feed back ? any good as a street tire ?
Also looking at the Federal 595 RS-Pro Feedback? I've heard they're loud, any truth to that?
Falken FK510?

Any other reasonable options? $300 for PS4S are a bit pricey.

thx
bondo

I looked into the Kumho tires, but read a number of bad reviews on them. I got the Falken FK150's in 245/35-20 about a month ago.

I've only been driving on them for a couple of weeks now... about 100 miles on them with the lockdown order, but most of that has been freeway driving at higher speeds (70-90 mph). So far, they're pretty nice feeling and feel sticky on the road. They're definitely not loud, as I don't hear any "howling" noises from them, and I would say they are no more louder than the Michelin Primacy tires on my 18" aero wheels while driving on the freeway. Even driving around the neighborhood at slower speeds, the tires are still pretty quiet. I don't plan on going to the track with this or or on these tires, but just wanted something for daily driving with mostly (rush hour) freeway miles.

We'll see how they hold up over time. I paid $140 per tire from Americas Tire ($760 installed w/ certificates = free replacements, as I get a good number of nails in my tires driving around LA). Ironically, the 20" FK150 tires is actually cheaper than the equivalent sized 19" FK150 for the 19" Sport wheels.

I looked into the Kumho tires, but read a number of bad reviews on them. I got the Falken FK150's in 245/35-20 about a month ago.

I've only been driving on them for a couple of weeks now... about 100 miles on them with the lockdown order, but most of that has been freeway driving at higher speeds (70-90 mph). So far, they're pretty nice feeling and feel sticky on the road. They're definitely not loud, as I don't hear any "howling" noises from them, and I would say they are no more louder than the Michelin Primacy tires on my 18" aero wheels while driving on the freeway. Even driving around the neighborhood at slower speeds, the tires are still pretty quiet. I don't plan on going to the track with this or or on these tires, but just wanted something for daily driving with mostly (rush hour) freeway miles.

We'll see how they hold up over time. I paid $140 per tire from Americas Tire ($760 installed w/ certificates = free replacements, as I get a good number of nails in my tires driving around LA). Ironically, the 20" FK150 tires is actually cheaper than the equivalent sized 19" FK150 for the 19" Sport wheels.
I agree with this 100%. Half the cost of 4S and wear is noticeably better. Grip and speed very similar to 4S for daily driving up to 100 on straights and 75 on turns. Driver confidence almost equal. Have not tracked them. They are quiet. No howling or roaring. I have 245/35/20s. Changed from continentals. Best decision ever.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
This review on tire rack scares me on the Falken's otherwise I would try them as next tires.

500 Miles on Tires
July 27, 2020
If you are a normal driver then these tires are probably a good low cost alternative. If you are a "spirited" driver these tires are downright dangerous. I'm not sure if the sidewalls are not strong enough but the Tesla model 3 performance just sways through turns. The back-end feels like a fat rear ready to shoot off the road. And a quick start leaves you making adjustments to the inconsistent force from the tires. Now I had these on the rear and the OEM Michelins on the front. The front continued to feel glued to the road. The back end was all over the place.

If you drive pretty normal the Falken's are OK and great price. If you drive for performance with the quality Michelin's

This review on tire rack scares me on the Falken's otherwise I would try them as next tires.

500 Miles on Tires
July 27, 2020
If you are a normal driver then these tires are probably a good low cost alternative. If you are a "spirited" driver these tires are downright dangerous. I'm not sure if the sidewalls are not strong enough but the Tesla model 3 performance just sways through turns. The back-end feels like a fat rear ready to shoot off the road. And a quick start leaves you making adjustments to the inconsistent force from the tires. Now I had these on the rear and the OEM Michelins on the front. The front continued to feel glued to the road. The back end was all over the place.

If you drive pretty normal the Falken's are OK and great price. If you drive for performance with the quality Michelin's
Not sure what to tell you. Tire rack has tested it. You have 2 live reviews. Tons of reviews there and you’ve picked one negative. I mean...restaurants have bad reviews too on Yelp and I’m sure you’ve eaten at one and thought it was fine *shrugs*

Are you guys driving performance model? Is it 510 series? Someone said 150.
A7F368EF-082E-4908-A303-0F26C4F47EDD.png

I agree with this 100%. Half the cost of 4S and wear is noticeably better. Grip and speed very similar to 4S for daily driving up to 100 on straights and 75 on turns. Driver confidence almost equal. Have not tracked them. They are quiet. No howling or roaring. I have 245/35/20s. Changed from continentals. Best decision ever.

Since you quoted me from my post I made back in April, I'll give an update. I've put exactly 4400 miles on the car now (haven't driven it much while working from home most of last year), but when I do take the car out I like to have some fun and drive it hard so I'm not taking it easy on the Falken Azenis FK510 tires.

That said, there's still plenty of tread left and I'll probably rotate them at the end of this Summer just to keep things wearing evenly. But like TwoK4drSi said, the FK150's grip really well and are very quiet on the road. Absolutely no howling or growling noises at all. They really keep the car planted on the road, especially on those high speed freeway transitions.... but then my car is lowered so that probably helps with the handling.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I guess both and that answered the question. Why did you go 245 instead of 235?

I'm on the 20" Performance wheels and they can take a 245mm tire without any issue. Of course all tire manufacturers build their tires slightly different so a Michelin 245 might be slightly wider than a Falken 245, and so on with other brands. That said, you can probably do a 255 Falkin Azenis FK155 on the 20" Perf wheel, but for the difference in price it wasn't worth going just a little wider.

I'd rather have a little extra meat on the side to help protect the rim, plus it looks better on the wheel compared to a stretched tire that's too narrow for the rim.

So what about range? Any loss in range? 245 35 should make the tire higher I believe and make the speedometer off a bit. Won't the wider tire make range worse? I'm okay with going a little higher since the previous owner decided to go with the lowest springs possible so I'm okay getting some clearance back.

Mostly a street car but hopefully a hpde day or 2 if things every go back to normal. 95%street/5%track
Running 9.5 x 19" et35 rims currently

Anybody running Kumho PS91? Feed back ? any good as a street tire ?
Also looking at the Federal 595 RS-Pro Feedback? I've heard they're loud, any truth to that?
Falken FK510?

Any other reasonable options? $300 for PS4S are a bit pricey.

thx
bondo
Here is an unbiased review which I agree with. Watch the whole video. Bang for your buck for noise, comfort, performance out of your choices is the Falken.

Reactions: beastmode13
I went with the FK510 (245/35/20) on aftermarket wheels for my performance 3 and am now on my 2nd set. My oem michelins wore at ~13k with my spirited driving. The FK510 lasted a little longer and still felt good. Not much can live up to the PS4S but the FK510 is a great bang for your buck. I am from the Carolinas and occasionally take my performance on the tail of the dragon and diamondback.