Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires too narrow on Uberturbine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But then the ideal pressure gets lower as you go wider on the tire, so then contact patch does increase. But then the area of the contact patch isn't the main reason a wider tire has more grip. But then a wider tire doesn't *always* provide more grip. But then, on our modern heavy cars, it is pretty hard to go too wide, so in a practical sense wider tires always do.
BUT butt butt
Someone's having a case of the Mondays...

Upgrade to 265/30/20 and enjoy the OEM rims.

1. Will 265s stick out far enough that their protective lip will save the whees, and end curb rash exposure?
2. I am partial to Michelins for their superior handling of my other cars. Will that be the case for 265s on the Tesla?
3. Any idea what I will lose in range by adding 4x30mm to the contact patch?
1 - yes
2 - I run 265/30/20 PS4s and love them
3- I lost very little due to frontal area gain

This BS about contact patch size is very "Car and Driver". Same weight on a larger square area is just more nimble. Flat out. The difference is HUGE. The 265/30 is also slightly shorter so the car is slightly lower AND (again) more agile. Note that it is more nimble and more agile in every way. Best mod ever on the Uberturbines.

Reactions: JssonB
Thanks, but the two main questions WHY I am cotempating switching to 265s have not yet been addressed:

1. Will the protective lip of a 265 stick out far enough beyond the Uberturbine's rim to prevent curb rash exposure? Stock Pirelli 235/35R20 are too narrow, and do not protect the rim.

2. I am partial to Michelins for their superior handling of my other cars. Will that be the case for 265s on the Tesla?

1. To answer your original original question, I have some thoughts on why Tesla went with the 235. 265mm is 10.4" on a 9" wide wheel. Unsure if you have read this thread but there's some photos of 255s on the Uberturbines.
2. This may largely be dependent on the actual tire choice and your definition of superior handling. A stretched tire may actually feel more responsive given the sidewall stiffness. A wider tire may have more mechanical grip but feel vague if the sidewall is bulgy or soft.

Thanks, but the two main questions WHY I am cotempating switching to 265s have not yet been addressed:

1. Will the protective lip of a 265 stick out far enough beyond the Uberturbine's rim to prevent curb rash exposure? Stock Pirelli 235/35R20 are too narrow, and do not protect the rim.

I can't say with any certainty how the run protector will work on that configuration. But I'm currently on 255/35-19 on an 8.5 inch wheel and the sidewalls do project out slightly (visually less than a quarter inch). The car came on 235s with the 8.5 wide 20s and the rim protector did project out, but did little to stop curb rash. On the factory wheels, the room protector kind of angled towards the road more than my current tire, and my current tires so not have as big of a rim protector. Not sure how much help this is.

1. To answer your original original question, I have some thoughts on why Tesla went with the 235. 265mm is 10.4" on a 9" wide wheel. Unsure if you have read this thread but there's some photos of 255s on the Uberturbines.
2. This may largely be dependent on the actual tire choice and your definition of superior handling. A stretched tire may actually feel more responsive given the sidewall stiffness. A wider tire may have more mechanical grip but feel vague if the sidewall is bulgy or soft.

Your links are helpful, thank you, but also complicate matters, because there are so many variables and subjective, often contradictory reports that have to be plugged into my decision making process.

But it seems like a 245/35/20 Michelin PS4S might be a reasonable compromise for my Uberturbines, once my Pirellis are done: not too much range loss, little change in ride comfort, no need to recalibrate the computer/tachometer, slightly lower exposure to curb rash and a slight improvement in handling...No?

Reactions: emotiveeng
But it seems like a 245/35/20 Michelin PS4S might be a reasonable compromise for my Uberturbines, once my Pirellis are done: not too much range loss, little change in ride comfort, no need to recalibrate the computer/tachometer, slightly lower exposure to curb rash and a slight improvement in handling...No?
Following up in thread since you asked separately! This seems reasonable to me.

I just ordered the setup in my signature yesterday. I've put 8000 miles on the stock setup in the last 3 months and haven't had any major issues but I always worry that I'll hit some random pothole on a roadtrip and get stranded.
@djec65fb You should be worried. That could happen with any wheel/tire combo of course but 235/35 on cast wheels will be especially prone, way moreso than 18" or even 19".

For what it's worth that cracked Model S wheel I posted (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6871609/) technically didn't leave us stranded - it manifested as a slow leak! We were able to limp home by keeping the tire topped off. The tire fully deflated overnight before we could get it to a tire shop though, so the tire was ruined too. If we'd been on a road trip we would've had to get it replaced before heading onward of course.

It was still a big hassle. Especially how much arguing it took to get Tesla to give us a replacement wheel under warranty / goodwill.

Last edited:
Reactions: djec65fb
do you have any photos?
IMG_0553.jpeg