TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tires unimpressive but expensive

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Jacob F, Aug 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jacob F

Jacob F New Member

I have had my Model X for a few weeks and have a little over 1000 miles on it. Today I pulled into a parking spot and hit the curb adjacent to the parking spot. My tire split along the side and had to be replaced. The cost for the tire was $350 plus labor.

Maybe I hit the curb on just the magical angle, but I was going like 5 Mph. I can't imagine that these tires would hold up on anything off road.

Is anyone else concerned about tire quality?

Also, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have some kind of tire guarantee or insurance service. Any ideas?

2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I had a similar experience parking my car. My car has Continental tires. America's Tire charged me $297 plus labor to change the rear tire. They also offer road hazard warranty at $45 per tire.

3. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

#3 RobertSeattle, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Would be curious if "Wheel Bands" would have helped. I do lots of curb parking myself and looking for ways to protect the rims/wheels..

Wheel Bands Kit for Tesla Model X

• Love x 1
  4. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Were these the 20 or 22" tires?

5. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

My 2015 P85D has Continental ContiSportContact 5 245/35R21 96W XL ContiSilent tires. I bought America's Tire road hazard warranties for only $45 per tire 10 minutes after I took delivery on my Tesla... and they've replaced TWO of these tires from sidewall punctures in 15,000 miles. I love the handling and quiet of these tires but without the AmTire warranties I would be very unhappy.

Fortunately I had years of experience driving with low profile high performance tires on my 2006 Corvette Z06 so this wasn't a surprise for me. I also had AmTire warranties on those tires too which saved me thousand$ over the 10 years I drove my Z06.

19" tires are definitely more resistant to potholes, curbs, etc. but don't have the look and performance of the lower profile 21" tires.

6. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Which tires and what size do you have?

7. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Another victim of unnecessarily over-sized wheels and tires.