TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tires unimpressive but expensive

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Jacob F, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Jacob F

Jacob F New Member

I have had my Model X for a few weeks and have a little over 1000 miles on it. Today I pulled into a parking spot and hit the curb adjacent to the parking spot. My tire split along the side and had to be replaced. The cost for the tire was $350 plus labor.

Maybe I hit the curb on just the magical angle, but I was going like 5 Mph. I can't imagine that these tires would hold up on anything off road.

Is anyone else concerned about tire quality?

Also, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have some kind of tire guarantee or insurance service. Any ideas?

2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I had a similar experience parking my car. My car has Continental tires. America's Tire charged me $297 plus labor to change the rear tire. They also offer road hazard warranty at $45 per tire.

3. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

#3 RobertSeattle, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Would be curious if "Wheel Bands" would have helped. I do lots of curb parking myself and looking for ways to protect the rims/wheels..

Wheel Bands Kit for Tesla Model X

• Love x 1
  4. DrComputer

DrComputer Active Member

Were these the 20 or 22" tires?

5. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

My 2015 P85D has Continental ContiSportContact 5 245/35R21 96W XL ContiSilent tires. I bought America's Tire road hazard warranties for only $45 per tire 10 minutes after I took delivery on my Tesla... and they've replaced TWO of these tires from sidewall punctures in 15,000 miles. I love the handling and quiet of these tires but without the AmTire warranties I would be very unhappy.

Fortunately I had years of experience driving with low profile high performance tires on my 2006 Corvette Z06 so this wasn't a surprise for me. I also had AmTire warranties on those tires too which saved me thousand$ over the 10 years I drove my Z06.

19" tires are definitely more resistant to potholes, curbs, etc. but don't have the look and performance of the lower profile 21" tires.

6. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Which tires and what size do you have?

7. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Another victim of unnecessarily over-sized wheels and tires.

8. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I don't think anyone should kid themselves into thinking that the Model X is off-road capable. At least no more than an S is.

9. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Tires and wheel bearings. I'm suprised there aren't more wheel bearing issues with all these supersized, 50+lb wheel/tire combos running around.

10. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Its definitely a crossover, not an off road vehicle. But "no more than an S" seems a stretch. Doesn't the X have significantly higher ground clearance at the highest setting? (Thus leading to dreaded Acceleration Shudder)

11. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

About 6” more in the highest setting IIRC. So minimally beyond an S. It would help with approach and breakover angles but it doesn’t actually have more underbody protection.

Traction, I’d say they’re a wash with the same software/motors, and tires aren’t significantly better. They both have crawls and torque reduction settings (Ie, chill) and the same waterproofing in the batteries. I can’t think of any off reading features the X would have that an S wouldn’t otherwise

• Love x 1
  12. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

6" more sounds like a boat-load. Is the S really THAT low?

13. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I did NOT recall correctly. For some reason I thought the X had more and the S had less

5.65” w/coil suspension. 4.7”-6.4” with air on the S vs Model X is 5.4”-8.3”

So less than 2” at the highest settings.

• Like x 2
  14. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

That's like 30%, but yeah it is no Wrangler

15. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Another issue is the approach and departure clearance is very limited because of the overhang. Look at a jeep CJ and notice how there is little to get hung up in front or behind the wheels. Even the Jeep Grand Caravan I had in the late 1990s was good in this area. We regularly took it off road in the Sierras. No way I am trying that in the X.

16. Padelford

Padelford Supporting Member

One curb rash incident and these will get partially torn off. You’re out the full cost to replace a small segment. They’re not a good idea.

I’ve started fixing mild to moderate curb rash with some 200 grit sandpaper and wheel touch-up paint. Much cheaper.