TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tires & Using Slime

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Impala1ss, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Member

My MS has the tires with the foam inside to dampen sound. If I would get a flat caused by something like a screw or nail will I be able to use Slime to temporarily stop the leak? It would seem like the foam would prevent the Slime from reaching the leak and sealing it. Am I correct?

2. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Many tire places will refuse to repair a tire after you've used slime and want you to simply replace the tire.

• Helpful x 2
  3. Ande

Ande Member

Yes, foam stops quick fixes.
    Also... The noise dampening is mostly a placebo effect. Look up actual tests where same vehicle is tested with same tires and pressure after installing or removing the foam.

4. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

say bye bye to your TPMS sensors if you use the incorrect tire slime. The recommend the yellow slime

5. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I got a nail this weekend and couldn’t get it fixed due to Easter. Picked up a tire repair kit for about $10 and plugget it myself. No leak yet.

Have about 2-3k miles left on the tires, so probably just keep an eye on it and replace.

Started shopping for new tires. Haven’t picked what I will put on it next. Leaning towards the Michelin mxm3 (or whatever it’s called).

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Tesla sells the slime foam on the website as part of the emergency kit and then won’t repair the tires when you use it (if your tires have the sound absorbing foam in them. It may patch the home but it’s a mess to repair. As was said, plugs are a much better answer.