Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires & Using Slime

Impala1ss

Jun 30, 2017
Melbourne, FL
My MS has the tires with the foam inside to dampen sound. If I would get a flat caused by something like a screw or nail will I be able to use Slime to temporarily stop the leak? It would seem like the foam would prevent the Slime from reaching the leak and sealing it. Am I correct?

Ande

Jul 28, 2017
Norway
Yes, foam stops quick fixes.
Also... The noise dampening is mostly a placebo effect. Look up actual tests where same vehicle is tested with same tires and pressure after installing or removing the foam.

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
I got a nail this weekend and couldn’t get it fixed due to Easter. Picked up a tire repair kit for about $10 and plugget it myself. No leak yet.

Have about 2-3k miles left on the tires, so probably just keep an eye on it and replace.

Started shopping for new tires. Haven’t picked what I will put on it next. Leaning towards the Michelin mxm3 (or whatever it’s called).

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
Northern Virginia, USA
Tesla sells the slime foam on the website as part of the emergency kit and then won’t repair the tires when you use it (if your tires have the sound absorbing foam in them. It may patch the home but it’s a mess to repair. As was said, plugs are a much better answer.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC