Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires wear out unusually quickly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Puzzled about your Tesla tire wear?. It's not just about torque. It's primarily the introductory tires.

From a 40,000 mile review of a Model 3:
By 30,000 miles, the original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were shot. We often get twice as many miles on all-season tires, but rapid tire wear is something that's a common topic on Model 3 owner's forums. A major part of the issue is that the Tesla version of these tires start with 1.5 32nds of an inch less tread depth than the off-the-shelf MXM4s.

The photo below is taken at the delivery of my first Model Y. Although it might not sound like much, that's 20-25 percent less usable tread depth. In my experience, OEM tires were unsafe before 20,000 miles in the case of three new TESLAs. Like you, I thought it must be the torque.

Someone on the forum said, "All OEM tires have less tread." Not true. It is true that some manufacturers specify soft rubber on OEM tires.
How long should OEM tires last? As a general rule, the original tires on a new vehicle or quality replacement tires should last up to 50,000 miles.

Replacing the OEMs after wear, with Pirelli All-Season tires brought me over 40,000 miles in all cases with the same torque, of course.

Cost shaving: So, it costs Tesla less to buy OEM tires, because they are manufactured with less rubber. It costs you more to replace them sooner. Another profit-mongering way to pass costs on to the consumer (Bean Counters Rule). Great for the stock, but not so great for you. Introductory tires. You know, it's like introductory cartridges on the HP printer. But the printer doesn't cost over $60k. Hmm, no introductory charging cable tho? Just Nada. Beware: They are getting bolder. Are introductory brakes next? (Damn, I shouldn't give them ideas.)

Attachments

• 20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: BillsBoy
Puzzled about your Tesla tire wear?. It's not just about torque. It's primarily the introductory tires.

From a 40,000 mile review of a Model 3:
By 30,000 miles, the original Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires were shot. We often get twice as many miles on all-season tires, but rapid tire wear is something that's a common topic on Model 3 owner's forums. A major part of the issue is that the Tesla version of these tires start with 1.5 32nds of an inch less tread depth than the off-the-shelf MXM4s.

The photo below is taken at the delivery of my first Model Y. Although it might not sound like much, that's 20-25 percent less usable tread depth. In my experience, OEM tires were unsafe before 20,000 miles in the case of three new TESLAs. Like you, I thought it must be the torque.

Someone on the forum said, "All OEM tires have less tread." Not true. It is true that some manufacturers specify soft rubber on OEM tires.
How long should OEM tires last? As a general rule, the original tires on a new vehicle or quality replacement tires should last up to 50,000 miles.

Replacing the OEMs after wear, with Pirelli All-Season tires brought me over 40,000 miles in all cases with the same torque, of course.

Cost shaving: So, it costs Tesla less to buy OEM tires, because they are manufactured with less rubber. It costs you more to replace them sooner. Another profit-mongering way to pass costs on to the consumer (Bean Counters Rule). Great for the stock, but not so great for you. Introductory tires. You know, it's like introductory cartridges on the HP printer. But the printer doesn't cost over $60k. Hmm, no introductory charging cable tho? Just Nada. Beware: They are getting bolder. Are introductory brakes next? (Damn, I shouldn't give them ideas.)
Thanks Scott for a real answer. Mystery solved.

As a general rule, the original tires on a new vehicle or quality replacement tires should last up to 50,000 miles.

I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous oversimplification. "Performance" tires are NEVER gonna last 50K miles.

It's true that Tesla's OEM tire starts with less tread - that's not an "introductory" thing - it's a "range" thing. Of course you can replace those tires with full-tread-depth tires, and you'll pay the price in reduced efficiency. That's a tradeoff that not everyone would be happy with....

Have you taken your car to a 3rd party alignment shop and told them "set to minimum specs while on low ride height"?

Is your inside rear wearing faster than the rest of the tires?

Are there any unusual signs of wear? I got almost 30K miles out of a set of Pilot Super Sports when touring the US. Cruising the freeway at 80 mph with the correct air pressure can get you quite a few miles.