Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m at 27,000 miles on my 2019 SRP and my tires are getting pretty worn. I’m wondering what kind of miles are people getting on the original Michelin tires? Do they come with any sort of treadwear guarantee? What’s Tesla charging for tires and installation? When it comes time to replace tires, can Costco be trusted to do a good job, or are people going with Tesla? Sorry if all these questions are tiring 😆

Reactions: goldengate
I replaced my OEM Michelins at about the same mileage. Since I live in Wisconsin, and snow is a threat in winter, I opted to get some replacements. I probably could have driven longer on the OEMs if I had known there’d be practically no snow in my region this season, but I still have no regrets with my replacements.

I went with Vredestein Quatrac Pro for good all season traction. I had never heard of the brand before but it was highly rated. In the < 1000 miles I’ve driven on them, so far I think they’re really good. I had a local dealership that I‘ve worked with for many years now purchase and install them on my behalf for under $800.

Tire Rack’s website is very useful to compare tires, FWIW.

I’ve mentioned on the site before that I’d recently replaced the original 20“ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, at almost 52,000 miles. I don’t think I’ve ever had a set of tires on any vehicle I’ve owned over the last 4 decades hold up as well.

I replaced my OEM Michelins at about the same mileage. Since I live in Wisconsin, and snow is a threat in winter, I opted to get some replacements. I probably could have driven longer on the OEMs if I had known there’d be practically no snow in my region this season, but I still have no regrets with my replacements.

I went with Vredestein Quatrac Pro for good all season traction. I had never heard of the brand before but it was highly rated. In the < 1000 miles I’ve driven on them, so far I think they’re really good. I had a local dealership that I‘ve worked with for many years now purchase and install them on my behalf for under $800.

Tire Rack’s website is very useful to compare tires, FWIW.

Regards to a fellow cheesehead!

I got my car last August. M3 SR+. I decided to wait out the winter to see how the OEM Michelins would do. Both I and my wife are retired so we rarely have an urgent need to go anywhere. As you said, not much snow this winter but I did have an opportunity to drive on a lightly snow covered road and felt the car did pretty well.

Having said that I am still entertaining the idea of changing the Michelins out this fall. I have been a Michelin evangelist but I am not impressed with these tires. Quiet but traction is just so so. I also noticed that when it gets cold I'm guessing that foam liner gets stiff. It feels flat spotted until they warm up. Also it seems that you feel every tiny road imperfection. Even at a reduced pressure of 38 PSI.

One of the tires high on my list are the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I've seen good reviews. What has your experience been as far as ride, traction, noise and importantly the impact on efficiency. Do you feel the rolling resistance is acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

I’ve mentioned on the site before that I’d recently replaced the original 20“ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, at almost 52,000 miles. I don’t think I’ve ever had a set of tires on any vehicle I’ve owned over the last 4 decades hold up as well.
That’s gotta be some kind of record. Mostly freeway driving? I’m at 25k and still have about 5-6/32” left.

Regards to a fellow cheesehead!

I got my car last August. M3 SR+. I decided to wait out the winter to see how the OEM Michelins would do. Both I and my wife are retired so we rarely have an urgent need to go anywhere. As you said, not much snow this winter but I did have an opportunity to drive on a lightly snow covered road and felt the car did pretty well.

Having said that I am still entertaining the idea of changing the Michelins out this fall. I have been a Michelin evangelist but I am not impressed with these tires. Quiet but traction is just so so. I also noticed that when it gets cold I'm guessing that foam liner gets stiff. It feels flat spotted until they warm up. Also it seems that you feel every tiny road imperfection. Even at a reduced pressure of 38 PSI.

One of the tires high on my list are the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. I've seen good reviews. What has your experience been as far as ride, traction, noise and importantly the impact on efficiency. Do you feel the rolling resistance is acceptable?

Thanks in advance.
So far the ride is very nice. Smooth and quiet (depending upon the road of course). I really don’t notice the difference between the OEM tires and those regarding noise.

Grip seems really good on wet pavement. I actually experience less slipping. The OEMs could break loose easier rounding corners.

I didn’t have a lot of time in the snow this year, but what little I did drive, the car handled very well. It just plowed right through the snow. Breaking was also decent.

I’m going to reserve my judgement on rolling resistance until the summer. Winter is too difficult to judge with temperatures fluctuating between 45F and sub-zero. So far I think it’s a smidge higher, maybe as high as a 5% impact on mileage, but time will tell.

Cheers and Go Pack Go!

Reactions: rpiotro