Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aluminum Battery Shield fell off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend's titanium battery shield fell off by itself in his P100DL. He was driving very slowly and all of a sudden he heard a sound. He pulled over and just as the car came to a stop, the entire shield fell off along with two screws.
It is quite shocking that such a 'safety feature' is only held down by 2 screws. Needless to say, Tesla will fix it, but still, we are quite appalled by the 'quality'.

Ames, why would my friend and I lie? Here's the piece he picked up if you need proof.

2017-02-20%20at%2000.16.33.jpg

Thank you for point that out. Regardless it is alum or titanium, I still find it ridiculous that it just fell off. No he did not hit anything.

Fair enough. There is a difference because the load bearing parts are very securely attached to the car and as per your original post it would be very serious if they could so easily be detached from the car.

For the aluminum deflector it is possible that a negligent service technician simply forgot to fasten the screws when replacing the part. This is the first such case of this part simply falling off that I have come across so I do not think it is indicative of a design flaw or such like.

Forgot, this forum is full of Tesla apologists. =)

I am only pointing out not just because I think it is plain ridiculous (and it is) but the safety part is not just about yourself but others. Imagine if this came off on a highway, it could have caused some real damage to others as well. Be it alum or titanium or even if it were just plastic, it could have caused damage to others.

Not a design flaw? Who is to say? If there is no flaw, it would not have fallen off? Flaw or not I am not in the position to determine, and I hope this is an isolated QC incident.

Forgot, this forum is full of Tesla apologists. =)

I am only pointing out not just because I think it is plain ridiculous (and it is) but the safety part is not just about yourself but others. Imagine if this came off on a highway, it could have caused some real damage to others as well. Be it alum or titanium or even if it were just plastic, it could have caused damage to others.

Not a design flaw? Who is to say? If there is no flaw, it would not have fallen off? Flaw or not I am not in the position to determine, and I hope this is an isolated QC incident.
You are being too hyperbolic about what's happened. Yes it came off, it is two screws that worked their way loose after clearly not being tightened to the correct torque value by the last person to work in them.

You haven't given us info as to whether this was a car retrofitted with the battery protection or shipped from the factory and you don't know the service history either. So making claims as to quality of the product when you yourself are not armed with the facts is just going to rub people the wrong way.

You are being too hyperbolic about what's happened. Yes it came off, it is two screws that worked their way loose after clearly not being tightened to the correct torque value by the last person to work in them.

You haven't given us info as to whether this was a car retrofitted with the battery protection or shipped from the factory and you don't know the service history either. So making claims as to quality of the product when you yourself are not armed with the facts is just going to rub people the wrong way.

Because no P100DL would have a retrofitted protector. They would have all come with it. Do not mean to rub anyone the wrong way. It seems like reporting any 'problems' with tesla here would simply invite needless hostility. I will not reply to this topic anymore, and will remove the photo as well.

Because no P100DL would have a retrofitted protector. They would have all come with it. Do not mean to rub anyone the wrong way. It seems like reporting any 'problems' with tesla here would simply invite needless hostility. I will not reply to this topic anymore, and will remove the photo as well.

WSLAM,

For the benefit of all, do please reconsider and re-post the photo.

Granted, you should not have been "attacked" but you do come across as a bit thin-skinned.

It's an internet forum and it can sometimes get that way; please forgive.

Thank you.

Reactions: WoodyOHill
Claiming the titanium shield fell off, when an aluminium deflector was the one that fell, is equivalent to claiming the wheels fell off when the hub cap was the one that came loose. See, big difference.

One is a serious design and manufacturing flaw with safety implication. The other is reflects poor workmanship, of which you will find plenty in an X.

Teslas are assembled by $17/hr American hourly workers as fast as they can pump them out. That said, I had an aluminum heat shield fall off my AMG Mercedes. These things happen. At least Mercedes was able to fix it in less than 24 hours.