TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Titanium undershield for Roadsters?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by augkuo, Mar 28, 2014.

1. augkuo

augkuo Member

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Very impressive indeed! :smile:

Yes, a Roadster retrofit would be fantastic!

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Titanium is strong but it still has give and will stretch a little. I was a little worried it would still allow a gouge in the titanium plating after hitting road debris, but after watching their video tests it appears to hold up very well to abuse combined combined in this 3 shield armor design. Nice Job Tesla!

As for the Roadster, as Augie discovered, any battery pack that has any surface area to the ground is vulnerable to road debris impact and possible failure. Would be nice / reassuring to have a titanium plate and improved guard under its pack too.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow. I am blown away by the commitment Tesla has to vehicle and driver safety.

Mods: perhaps this post should be moved the the S Driving Dynamics forum?

5. augkuo

augkuo Member

No this thread is getting the shield put on the roadsters as well -

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I have renamed the thread to prevent further confusion.

7. bart513

bart513 Member

How do we get Tesla to do this for our Roadsters? We are 2500 strong!!

8. spentan

spentan Active Member

Isn't the roadster battery pack much higher up and better protected (than a slab making up the floor of the car)

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No, the pack extends all the way to the bottom of the car. It is however near the rear of the car, so I doubt you'd see a "piking" incident reaching the battery pack.

10. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The exposed surface area is a lot smaller than the Model S, but it also rides lower to the ground. At least one pack has been damaged by road debris, so it's a risk, although a low one.

I don't think the risk or number of cars is high enough to justify the design and retrofit. Hopefully the "something cool for Roadster owners" is something cooler than a piece of sheet metal!

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I think the Roadster battery is well protected. I really hope something cool is 70 amp charging at the Supercharger sites.

12. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

I agree with most of the statements made so far about battery location and exposure. But, we also have to keep in mind that Model S has covered way more miles than Roadster, so statistically Roadster hasn't been proven to be safer than Model S. I also think the kind of person driving a Roadster is far different than the kind of person driving a Model S, or the general population for that matter. We know our cars are low to the ground, Model S drivers don't feel it in their pants like we do. There's also something about driving a Roadster than simply demands your attention at all times - it's one of the things that makes driving Roadster such a blast for me, even after 30K miles.

13. augkuo

augkuo Member

One roadster battery punctured
    At least one roadster floor pan punctured (not my car pictured - this is the front) -
    could have injured the driver!
    roadster_hole.jpg

14. pharma5

pharma5 Roadster F#25

The "main deflector" - keeping Kirk and Spock from getting hit in the pants at warp speed since 1966:wink::
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Navigational_deflector.

main deflector.jpg

Would be good to have more shielding for Roadster.

But hope the 2014 surprise is something else...

15. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I had one of those on the front of my Roadster for a while and I have to say it was handy at removing ICE vehicles blocking charging stations. But there were unintended consequences... :smile: