Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Title needed before CPO delivery Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I ordered my CPO Tesla on 1/5/21 and it is now 1/22/21. I purchased the vehicle that is already on my island and within a 10 minute drive from where I am. According to Tesla, Hawaii Law states that they must acquire the title before I am allowed to take delivery of the vehicle.

Just crazy to me that I have ordered a vehicle that already exists and is right next to me, and I have not yet received it when it has been creeping up on 3 weeks now. Anyone else have any similar experiences with this? Any idea how much longer I will need to wait?

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program nearly 2 years ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim.

It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything, ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing. That last part is SUPER important especially when dealing with Tesla. Do NOT trust them at their word with promises.

It shouldn't be particularly surprising that Tesla can't sell you a car they don't legally possess the title for. A more rational question might be "why did Tesla list a car for sale that they can't legally sell yet?", but that's kinda par for the course RE Tesla operations and logistics.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
The car might have had a loan against is when the previous owner sold it to Tesla. Tesla would have paid off they loan when they bought the car. In many states it can take a month or two to get the title from the state after all leins are cleared. That is probably what is going on here.

This happened to me too. Used on lot, lease return. The issue is they send the titles to Fremont. Then when it sells, they have to wait for it to be sent back. Took 3-4 weeks to get mine. Was torture. I kept calling deliveries to talk to someone, I feel like he sped it up for me actually. But as you are experiencing, the used car buying experience at Tesla really turned me off. Luckily I love the car and service is good too.

Reactions: SCharged