Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Title Registration in Indiana

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I purchased MY about a month a go from a Illinois dealership. They had me get an inspection done at a BMV and email it back to them. I did that right away and haven't heard back from Tesla. Sent them a couple of emails and nothing. Does anyone know how this process works? Is Tesla supposed to give me a title to bring back to to the Indiana BMV? Or does the BMV contact me? My temporary plates are going to expire soon and I just want to get this done and get my real plates.

Been trying to call the BMV but have been on hold for one hour.

I bought my Indiana car in Indiana (hello from South Bend).

all my title work arrived in the mail like 4 weeks after my purchase. They had to let the 14 day return policy finish.

took it to the DMV, handed them my papers, got back a second temp plate, and the state mailed me my custom plate A week later.

my guess is your setup will be similar, but you may need to pay the DMV some taxes. I assume Illinois wouldn’t collect taxes for an Indiana purchase? Not sure.

Reactions: Mightybhwk
I finally got in touch with Telsa and they said that they shipped it out on 9/22. The BMV said that they have no record yet but things are delayed due to covid. They also said to check mybmv.com and once the title shows on my account to then go into the bmv. Tesla is overnighting me a new temp plate so I can keep driving. Kudos to them for doing that but I wished someone would of answered my emails.

As far as taxes, yes they collected taxes on purchase. Not sure if it was Illinois or Indiana.