Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Title & Registration Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay I'm sorry if this question has been asked but I've contacted Tesla over the phone multiple times and I've received differing and conflicting answers.

I'm a 23 year old Colorado resident and ordered a Model S. I'd like to take advantage of my parents' insurance so that it may be cheaper (~$200/month). Versus creating my own policy at this age ($600/month)
My insurance company said to achieve the above, my name CANNOT be on the TITLE of the vehicle.
I am going to finance the car and pay everything on my own, including sending the $200/month for insurance to my parents. This, per Tesla's policy, means my name must be on the registration of the vehicle (name(s) on loan and registration MUST MATCH). I do not want to interfere with my parents in terms of co-signing and what not in case something were to happen to me.
With all the above in mind. Is it possible for the title of the vehicle, at the time of delivery and signing, have differing names than the registration of the vehicle.

I'm not a resident of the US, I live in Canada.

My son had to "transfer" ownership of his car to me as well as the same address to qualify for a lower insurance rate through my policy even though he's the principal driver on the car.

Okay I'm sorry if this question has been asked but I've contacted Tesla over the phone multiple times and I've received differing and conflicting answers.

I'm a 23 year old Colorado resident and ordered a Model S. I'd like to take advantage of my parents' insurance so that it may be cheaper (~$200/month). Versus creating my own policy at this age ($600/month)
My insurance company said to achieve the above, my name CANNOT be on the TITLE of the vehicle.
I am going to finance the car and pay everything on my own, including sending the $200/month for insurance to my parents. This, per Tesla's policy, means my name must be on the registration of the vehicle (name(s) on loan and registration MUST MATCH). I do not want to interfere with my parents in terms of co-signing and what not in case something were to happen to me.
With all the above in mind. Is it possible for the title of the vehicle, at the time of delivery and signing, have differing names than the registration of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, you're likely going to have to consider your own policy unless you title in your parent's name and have them on loan. I'm in CO and I've never been able to have title not match the registration. I've taken title to vehicles in my and my wife's name, (single person on each), and it always matches on the registration, even when I've asked for it to include both of us on registration (for ease when driving, etc).

One avenue might be to ask your local DMV directly. I am in Arapahoe County, so I'm just sharing their contact form link below, but most likely have their own. They've been very helpful with direct questions - your local county should able to answer the title vs registration directly, and might save you some headache. They were also super helpful when the inevitable "my temp plate is about to expire and no packagefrom Tesla to finish up registration was sent to me" happens - I hope it doesn't, of course, but it's handy when it def happens.

Good luck!