Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TJ Chapman Auto LLC salvage titled cars for sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2013 Volt, and have been dreaming of owning a Tesla for years. My wife says I'm on Cars.com way to much, constantly searching for a great deal. With a budget between $25k-30k, I looked at used Model S's that are in that range, most are over 100k miles. I worry about the door handles, screen bubbles, MCU failures, which brings me to search for Model 3's.

On Cars.com you will see that the TJ Chapman reconditions used cars, and seems to have a lot of used Teslas. If you search via Google with the VIN # you can see the car after the wreck, It's shocking how the cars went from total loss to what seems to be flawless driving models. My question is do all the cameras work, autopilot, airbags, supercharging. Would Tesla even service it? What about any remaining warranty?

Right now they have a red Model 3 long range for $29k which is $10k under KBB value. What are your thoughts?

• Disagree
Reactions: MIT_S60
I own a 2013 Volt, and have been dreaming of owning a Tesla for years. My wife says I'm on Cars.com way to much, constantly searching for a great deal. With a budget between $25k-30k, I looked at used Model S's that are in that range, most are over 100k miles. I worry about the door handles, screen bubbles, MCU failures, which brings me to search for Model 3's.

On Cars.com you will see that the TJ Chapman reconditions used cars, and seems to have a lot of used Teslas. If you search via Google with the VIN # you can see the car after the wreck, It's shocking how the cars went from total loss to what seems to be flawless driving models. My question is do all the cameras work, autopilot, airbags, supercharging. Would Tesla even service it? What about any remaining warranty?

Right now they have a red Model 3 long range for $29k which is $10k under KBB value. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that this post sounds like a pretty thinly veiled attempt at posting an advertisement for "TJ Chapman"

There is no such thing as a warranty on a salvage car... so not sure I get the question about "what about remaining warranty?".

Unless you are one who can fix it yourself, then you should not be considering purchasing a salvage vehicle, thats my opinion... regardless of what it looks like.

People for whom salvage vehicles are the right vehicle dont need advice on purchasing them, so the very act of asking questions about purchasing it basically says "not the right car for you".

If your budget is "25 - 30k" maybe you just need to wait a little longer till some model 3s are a few years old and are that price? That is, if this is a real question, and not an Advertisement for said website.

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
My thoughts are that this post sounds like a pretty thinly veiled attempt at posting an advertisement for "TJ Chapman"

There is no such thing as a warranty on a salvage car... so not sure I get the question about "what about remaining warranty?".

Unless you are one who can fix it yourself, then you should not be considering purchasing a salvage vehicle, thats my opinion... regardless of what it looks like.

People for whom salvage vehicles are the right vehicle dont need advice on purchasing them, so the very act of asking questions about purchasing it basically says "not the right car for you".

If your budget is "25 - 30k" maybe you just need to wait a little longer till some model 3s are a few years old and are that price? That is, if this is a real question, and not an Advertisement for said website.

They are in Utah and I'm in Florida. And trust me I have no love for any car dealer. I'm just trying to find a good deal. Hopefully your right and I can find a 3 or an S with a clean history.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I don't see how they are making money on these salvage Tesla vehicles. Especially on the Model S and Model X, which are both aluminum - which can be complicated and expensive to repair correctly.

The Model 3 you mentioned, was auctioned for a little over $10k plus fees. That really only leaves them $15k or so to fix it. I don't know how much it would have cost to fix the damage in the pictures, but I have to think it was not much less than $15k...

Interesting business though. And their cars look pretty good in the pictures. Who knows...

Keep and eye on https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ for cars, they usually seem to be updated around 4pm Pacific time. You’ll probably still get outside your price a little, but you should be able to find an SR+ for like $34k to $35k. Most will have a year or two warranty (and like 5 to 6 years on the battery and drive unit warranty) and 20k to 30k miles on them. They come from Tesla and you can supercharge them and get service on them. Obviously you should get the shortest term loan you can afford, but rates as low as 2.49% for 84 months can be found right now and that extra $5k would only work out to $65 more a month past what you’ve budgeted already.... for a legit car with a warranty and supercharger support.

The high mileage Model S sound like a great deal. Your worries about the door handles, MCU sound petty. The cars will last much longer, up to 500k miles. Check battery degradation and ability to supercharge.

On the salvage, no supercharging means that you are limited to the range that the car can drive in one charge, even Chademo is restricted.

Tesla won't service your car or even sell you parts, so who will work on a salvage if it breaks? There is one guy in New Hampshire who works on salvage EVs - you will be towing it to him and back.

• Funny
Reactions: ra88it
I’m guessing your in Utah. Stay away from these guys at TJ Chapman. First of all, they just sell salvage vehicles. Specifically Tesla’s. Don’t buy a salvage Tesla in general. These guys tried to sell me a salvage Tesla, nowhere did they mention that it was unable to supercharge. When I questioned them, they explained to me how they modify the charging hardware to allow supercharging to work. They also told me that they modify autopilot hardware and unlock features. These guys are NOT Tesla certified and should not be selling Tesla’s with these kind of modifications. There is a reason Tesla disables supercharging on these vehicles. I don’t know how but Tesla needs to be aware of this dealer and put a stop to it. It’s dangerous and misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.