Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tjllew Roadster Roadtrips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday's "Mini" road trip:
2022-02-12 Tacoma Waterfront, Puget Sound Steilacoom Beer Run

40 miles one way, 66 round-trip if you use the fast return route.
Way points – Ruston Way (19), Pt Defiance Park (3 or 8 if you do the 5 mile loop), Titlow Park (5), Chambers Bay (4), Sunnyside Beach Park (3), Steilacoom Tap Room (1).
For a fast return do Steilacoom Tap Room to I-5 (26 miles to home). Returns to Sunnyside, Chambers Bay then through (boring) central Tacoma to I-5.
Charge points – none needed (80 or 66 mi rt).

No good way to get a Steilcoom Tap Room photo with tjllew and me. So opted for the Titlow beach one (just before Titlow Park).
View attachment 776612
By the way, I didn't go inside since this wasn't my destination beer stop. I have a strict one beer limit on my road trips. The IPA at Steilacoom Tap Room was wonderful.

As the organizer of the last group buy, I cannot recommend buying anything from QC Charge. We ordered them, paid deposits, and the company never delivered. Tony, the owner, refuses to respond to phone calls or emails. The company refuses to refund money. The company promised to deliver them over a year ago. If one does get in contact with someone at the company, one is told they still plan to produce them, but the group is extremely doubtful given the refusal to communicate. We are considering legal action.

It’s a terrible situation, but the bottom line is this: do not buy from QC Charge.

Should they ever deliver, I may have one to sell if the new owner of #609 doesn’t want it.
Thanks. Do you have contact information for a DC to Roadster kit mfg you'd recommend? Couldn't find on Google search...

That is strange. Tony has been good to me. In fact a few months ago, I found he had called my home phone number and left a message. His shop had moved. Something had led him to go through emails sent to old addresses (from before the move) and found one I had sent many months before. He called me on the phone to let me know the shop had moved and he was just finding that ancient email I'd sent. He wanted to be sure that if I still needed his help, he was reaching out. That is pretty terrible if he absconded with the money and not producing the product. It is especially bad since it isn't even quite like a Kickstarter where you don't know how long it will be to develop something. I know the newest group buy was going to have some modifications, but this product was designed and functioning and had been previously produced, sold and installed. This is really unconscionable.

My $.02... I was considering the QC adapter when the original product was being offered. I almost pulled the trigger, but the issue with the Tesla SC kept me from doing it (but only just barely). On paper, it's a game changer. $3k for unlimited high speed recharges, compared to $30k for the 3.0 battery which gets you amazing range, but only once before needing a long recharge.

What I'd really like is a box, something that can fit into, say, 1/3 of the trunk that is basically a 400v DC to 240v 70 amp (16.8kw) inverter. Plug the 240v side into the Roadster, drive it with a CCS (preferred) or CHAdeMO DCFC station. Modern high power electronics should make this eminently possible. CAN bus (or whatever it is) handshake should be easy, since the car has its own independent charging system; just need to turn on the juice. It wouldn't be as fast as a "real" DCFC, but at 70 amps, a typical charge will take an hour or two vs all day. It would also provide charging availability as the AC Level-2 stations appear to be becoming fewer and/or less reliable.

That is strange. Tony has been good to me. In fact a few months ago, I found he had called my home phone number and left a message. His shop had moved. Something had led him to go through emails sent to old addresses (from before the move) and found one I had sent many months before. He called me on the phone to let me know the shop had moved and he was just finding that ancient email I'd sent. He wanted to be sure that if I still needed his help, he was reaching out. That is pretty terrible if he absconded with the money and not producing the product. It is especially bad since it isn't even quite like a Kickstarter where you don't know how long it will be to develop something. I know the newest group buy was going to have some modifications, but this product was designed and functioning and had been previously produced, sold and installed. This is really unconscionable.

It is really bad. The deposit for each of the 12 people was $1,000 for a total to Tony of $12k. Wouldn't surprise me if he used the funds to offset the move costs. They're excuse now is "supply chain problem," but there were no supply chain problems when we ordered. And if that was the case, and you're holding $12,000 of people's money, it's incumbent on you as a business owner to communicate affirmatively and often.

The last correspondence I had from Tony was January 4, 2021. I sent him emails asking for status on March 27, April 14, and October 20, 2021. Zero updates. Numerous folks have called QC Charge too. The last person who was actually able to get substantive information was told"

He mentioned in particular the contactors and chips appear to have severe restrictions, eg they are only receiving 6 contactors per month (2 are needed per kit) - so they are still waiting accumulate enough parts to build our batch of kits. Apparently they are not interested in getting the kits done as parts are available, but they want to run them as a batch for scale.

Even assuming the above statement from QC is true, the order was placed August 2020. For 12 kits, that's 24 contactors. Those would have been provided in four months to QC. It's now been two years, seven months.

Thanks. Do you have contact information for a DC to Roadster kit mfg you'd recommend? Couldn't find on Google search...

I do not. I was always under the impression that QC was the only mass-market kit. QC had quick manufacturing them for Roadsters due to the lack of interest from the community. They kept making them for the Rav4 as more of them were interested. It was only when I got a group buy together that Tony agreed to produce additional ones. Clearly his heart is not in it.

What I'd really like is a box, something that can fit into, say, 1/3 of the trunk that is basically a 400v DC to 240v 70 amp (16.8kw) inverter. Plug the 240v side into the Roadster, drive it with a CCS (preferred) or CHAdeMO DCFC station. Modern high power electronics should make this eminently possible. CAN bus (or whatever it is) handshake should be easy, since the car has its own independent charging system; just need to turn on the juice. It wouldn't be as fast as a "real" DCFC, but at 70 amps, a typical charge will take an hour or two vs all day. It would also provide charging availability as the AC Level-2 stations appear to be becoming fewer and/or less reliable.

Yeah, depending upon the Service Center, some won't work on them at all, some require it to be disconnected before working on the car, and some don't sweat it at all.

It's really an ingenious design though using the vehicles regen braking cycle to allow DC charging. Tony is clearly a very smart engineer. It's his business practices I'm questioning.

Not to mention Burgerville serve awesome food!!
If I’m not mistaken Tom Saxton may have helped get the Centralia one installed as well as another one in Ellensberg. The one in Ellensberg shows up as having been vandalized on Plugshare :( I just checked PlugShare and the one in Ferndale is still listed but no report of use in a couple of years.

2022-05-02 Centralia Burgerville
14.7kw (70a, 210v) charger, plugs right into a Roadster. Over 60 mph charge time. It's listed on Plugshare and accurate.
Someone mentioned 80a vs 70a. I didn't try to see if I could bump up the charge current, just plugged it in and got 70a.
Guessing 80a is a typo.

2022-05-02 Update: Works! By the way, calling ahead probably won't help: Folks there have no idea about it. Mgr probably said “not sure working” on my 3/16 phone call since only Roadsters can plug in. Mgr said they don’t shut down at night, so should be available 24x7.

My road test: Started charge with 100mi, 64 left, 25% batt (30% Range Est). 63 mph*, but only partial charge (45 min, 25-58%) so probably no taper yet

Time Batt(std id) Mi(std Id) Mph*
4:13 25% 38
4:30 38% 56 72 (18 in about 15 min)
4:45 46% 70 56 (14 in about 15 min)
5:04 58% 85 60 (15 in about 15 min)

*63 mph, average (85-38 times 60 divided by 45)

Attachments

• PXL_20220502_230652543.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220502_230652543.MP.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220502_230709938.jpg
    PXL_20220502_230709938.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20220502_234651094.jpg
    PXL_20220502_234651094.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 58
Someone mentioned 80a vs 70a. I didn't try to see if I could bump up the charge current, just plugged it in and got 70a.
Some of the early Model S cars could charge at 80 amps, so there are some charging stations that can go that high. I presume this was before the Supercharger network was "a thing". The Roadster maxes out at 70, however, which isn't too shabby given the current cars can't go beyond 40 on AC.

Reactions: IslandRoadster
Some of the early Model S cars could charge at 80 amps, so there are some charging stations that can go that high. I presume this was before the Supercharger network was "a thing". The Roadster maxes out at 70, however, which isn't too shabby given the current cars can't go beyond 40 on AC.

Yeah, that was me making the misstatement. And @gregd, you are right, my brain was confusing my old 2015 Model S with dual inverters, which would charge at 80 amps, with my Roadster that indeed only charged at 70.

Sorry for the confusion, folks.

I still take my Roadster on at least one good road trip per year, usually around 800-1000 miles, plus a few more in the 250 - 500 mile range. Best advice I can give is to get both of Henry's adapters and also take the Roadster's original charging cables (120V and 240V). This gives you multiple options. Always assume that the charger at your next charge stop will be blocked or broken, and have at least one (preferably more) backup charge stop within range. If you can charge at 120V overnight somewhere that's 30 - 40 miles of range. Not great but beats sitting at a slow level 2 charger for two or three hours the next day. A big fat extension cord can give you more 120V charging options. Don't forget campgrounds, 240V at 30A or 40A isn't bad in a pinch. It's always an adventure :)

Reactions: eHorses
Portland update:
Fast (48a) charging available at the Heathman lodge. So a top off at Burgerville Centralia and Heathman is plenty for my Woodburn/Salem OR trips. Be good for a Columbia River loop trip too (WA hwy 14 and OR I-84 loop). Tesla level 2, so I used my 1772 with a Lectron 48a Tesla adapter.
1656558140129.png

The Heathman Lodge destination charger is 16kW. If you had Henry's Can Sr. adapter you'd be charging at 70 amps. I'm a huge fan of the Can Sr. it's a robust piece of craftsmanship in a nice small package good for 70 amps. Considering the numerous 16kw Destination chargers around your neck of the woods you would find one to be a real timesaver.

If there is ever a Tesla hall of fame, Henry should be the first member for coming up with this amazing adapter.

2022-06-26 Mt Rainier Paradise

85 miles one way. 8 hrs rt (6 plus 2.5 hr charge time). Returned home with 70mi left (range est), so could have done it in 7 hrs easily. My car has a range of 120m.

Charge station – Wellspring Spa, off 706 just E of Ashford.

4 Nema 14-50 (RV/dryer) hookups, so used the Tesla Mobile Connector (Tesla limits it to 40a).

Station had 234v, so that’s 9360kw. I did a 1.5 hr topoff on the way in (30mph, so added 45m Std), then 1 hr back and returned home with 70mi (range est) left on the battery.

Attachments

• 2022-06-26-202228257c.jpg
    2022-06-26-202228257c.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 2022-06-26-062722  Wellsprint Spa Charging (NEMA 14-50, but 40a.jpg
    2022-06-26-062722 Wellsprint Spa Charging (NEMA 14-50, but 40a.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 47
TJLLEW at the Jul 2, 2022 Pacific Raceways. Super fun. Friend at work (Frank) was racing, but you can also get your car in the Car Parade. Three times around the 2.25 mile track, just freeway speeds but fun anyway.

That white Lotus ahead of me was a kick. He "cheated" and slowed down a few times so he could punch it a few times (forbidden, supposed to stay in the pack). I did my duty though and also punched it so I could "stay with the pack". Another friend from work (Lynn), took the GoPro video.

Attachments

• 2022-07-02-001  Welcome Race Fans.jpg
    2022-07-02-001 Welcome Race Fans.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 2022-07-02-002  Pacific Raceways, Jeff Mateo Teresa TJLLEW.jpg
    2022-07-02-002 Pacific Raceways, Jeff Mateo Teresa TJLLEW.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 2022-07-02-1689c  Lynn at Go Pro.jpg
    2022-07-02-1689c Lynn at Go Pro.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 55