Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor TLC Auto Detail | Tesla Model 3 SunTek Wrap and Modesta Coatings | Northern, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dave@TLC

Former Vendor
Jul 30, 2013
Dulles, VA
Hey everyone! I wanted to make a new thread for this awesome Tesla Model 3 that we had in the shop a couple weeks ago. We ended up performing a full paint correction, wrapping the entire exterior with SunTek Ultra Paint Protection Film, coated the body with Modesta BC-04 Nano Titanium Paint Coating, and then coated the wheels with Modesta BC-06 High Temperature Wheel Coating.

After a full paint correction we started the task of custom wrapping every exterior panel, and the interior piano black for that matter, in SunTek Ultra Paint Protection Film.

All of the trim was removed, along with the emblems to allow us to wrap and tuck ever edge of the film. This not only leads to a better looking wrap, but will prevent having exposed edges that will catch dirt and peel over time. Here are some up close pictures of the finished film work.

GardnerEdge01.jpg

GardnerEdge02.jpg

GardnerEdge03.jpg

GardnerEdge04.jpg

GardnerEdge05.jpg

GardnerEdge06.jpg

After all of the film was laid it was coated top to bottom with Modesta BC-04 Nano Titanium Glass Coating. This will provide unrivaled chemical protection to help prevent etchings in the film from acid rain, bird droppings, and other environmental hazards. It is also incredibly hydrophobic which leads to a self cleaning effect that will keep the vehicle cleaner longer and make it easier to maintain overall.

Finally the wheels were removed, decontaminated, polished, and then coated with Modesta BC-06 High Temperature Wheel Coating to help protect them from corrosive brake dust and make them a breeze to keep clean.

Gardner304.jpg

Gardner301.jpg

Gardner303.jpg

We had a blast working on the newest model in the Tesla line up, and as you can see from the second to last picture, there are plenty of Teslas left for us to protect! Thanks for taking the time to check out our write up, and we would love to hear your feedback and answer any questions anyone may have.

‘Performing full paint correction”. What was wrong with the paint before? Can you clarify? If there was an issue with paint job, why wouldn’t owner have factory correct before taking delivery? BTW my model 3 paint job was perfect on delivery

‘Performing full paint correction”. What was wrong with the paint before? Can you clarify? If there was an issue with paint job, why wouldn’t owner have factory correct before taking delivery? BTW my model 3 paint job was perfect on delivery
In over 10 years of working with paint I have never seen a paint job come from the factory perfect. There are always swirls, left over sanding marks, and/or rotary holograms. This is because most people, including dealerships, owners, and QC people at the factory, don't actually know what they are looking for. For many years, it has just been a accepted fact that paint will have swirls in it. That is just not the case, and should have never been the case. Below is a before photo and an after photo of a brand spanking new Tesla that was picked up from the dealer and driven directly to us. No one else touched it. As you can see it is far from perfect, and this is pretty much the norm these days. While I'm sure that your Model 3 didn't have deep scratches, runs, bubbles etc, I'd be willing to bet that an improvement could still be made. If not, then that is a first for me. Hope the before and after pictures and my description helps show why even new vehicles need paint corrections prior to adding protection.

HughesS02.jpg

HughesS04.jpg

• Love
Reactions: linkster
Maybe you can zoom out and show up what part of car that is. If the top part of photo is interior of model 3 it does not look like one. Also the blue look too light can we see it in sunlight
Both of the paint correction photos are a door on a Model S, notice the door handle on the upper right corner of the photo.

have you sen any issues with doing a suntek protective wrap and issue with model X door sensors?
There are no issues with Model X door sensors and SunTek Ultra PPF. We have wrapped dozens of X's with no issues at all. For the AP/parking sensors we do always hand trim around them to make sure nothing interferes with them, but the door sensors are no issue.

There are tons of discussions in the forums regarding the need/desire for paint correction. Many people feel that the factory paint is flawed. Personally, i did not have any issues with either one my teslas. However , there are many other people that do.

So why did you pass it off as model 3
I don't believe I did, I figured people would be able to easily see the handle and figure out what vehicle it was. Never in my post of those photos did I say it was the same car as above or a Model 3 at all, I only called it a Tesla. Not really sure what you are trying to get at. Sorry for the confusion.

Wow, that wrap looks amazing! I had suntek ultra installed on the front of my M3, but using the pre-cut kits from suntek, so I can still see the edges up close, other than on the hood, where they rolled them. Looks good, but obviously what you did here is next level (and I’m sure so was the cost!).

Question: what would you recommend for a safe wax or sealant on top of suntek ultra? I know ceramic coating is the best, but I can’t justify the cost of that, so I’d like something that I can apply myself, that won’t hurt the ppf, and can also be applied to the rest of the car. Thanks!