Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Latest Update bricked my car, any thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I’m reaching out here to get any advice beyond Tesla’s suggestion to schedule a service appt.

Last night I approved a software update, I had 2019.5.4 previously, so I’m guessing I got 2019.5.25 or 5.15. This morning my app couldn’t reach the car, and I jumped into it and the screen was not working. Driving functions worked, so I tried resetting the screen with the up-to-this-point faithful two steering button reset, held for 10 seconds, nothing on the screen, held for 30+ seconds still nothing. I read online to try having the door closed and foot on the brake and then resetting (10 seconds and 30+ seconds again) and still nothing.

The phone support suggests that it needs to be brought in for a service appt but the first available isn’t for a week, does anyone know of any other self-service options to try to recover?

Thanks!

I ran into the same issue this morning after upgrading last night to 2019.5.15.

This morning when I got into the car, the screen didnt turn on and couldnt move the car (Put it in reverse but didnt move). I tried the two button reset a few times and it worked third time around. Not sure if this issue will come back ...

This probably doesn't apply to you if you are in the San Diego area, but just in case 6 months ago I had an update fail to install in part because I live in a remote area without cellular reception for the car (I can't even wake it up with my phone despite it being hooked in and close to the router of my wifi).
Something about this caused it to lock up, and eventually run the 12v battery down. Ended up being towed to service center.

NOW I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, DO AN UPDATE UNLESS THE CAR IS IN AN AREA WITH A CELLULAR SIGNAL (AT&T NETWORK I BELIEVE).