Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Ludicrous != 2.8 sec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using 576 kW from a 102.4 kWh battery, a 77 kW battery should be able to output 433 kW. Assuming 70% efficiency, that means 303 kW on the wheels. I think the Model 3 will weigh approximately 1950 kg, including 75 kg for the driver. And the Model S can accelerate at up to 1.2G, if we say 1.1G for the Model 3, that probably isn't far off.

Using this information, we can calculate the time used on 0-60 mph (or 0-26.8 m/s).

First, we need to know at what speed the car is no longer traction limited:

v = P / ma = 303 kW / (1950 x 10.8 m/s^2) = 14.4 m/s

The time taken to do this acceleration is:

14.4 m/s / (1.1 x 9.8 m/s^2) = 1.34 seconds

Below 14.4 m/s, power is slowly building, as the car struggles to put down the power without spinning the wheels. Above this speed, all 303 kW go into accelerating the car. Going from 14.4 m/s to 26.8 m/s, additional energy needs to be inputed:

E(14.4) = 0.5 x 1950 kg x (14.4 m/s)^2 = 202.2 kJ
E(28.6) = 0.5 x 1950 kg x (26.8 m/s)^2 = 700.3 kJ

The difference is: 700.3 kJ - 202.2 kJ = 498.1 kJ

And the time taken to supply this additional energy is:

498.1 kJ / 303 kW = 1.64 seconds

The complete 0-60 mph acceleration will take 1.34 s + 1.64 s = 2.98 seconds.

BUT, the US method of measuring acceleration uses 1 ft rollout (30.5 cm). The above calculations do not take this into account. The time to accelerate through 1 ft is:

s = 0.5at^2

t = sqrt(s / (0.5a)) = sqrt( 0.3045 / (0.5 x 1.1 x 9.8)) = 0.23 seconds.

The time for 0-60 is thus 2.98 seconds - 0.23 seconds = 2.75 seconds.

I think the likely official number for the Model 3 is 2.8-2.9 seconds.

It's been thrown around that the Model 3 is 20% lighter so I'm going to suggest the weight of the Model 3 P75DL is closer to 1725 kg or less.

I'm sticking with 2.6 seconds 0-60.

Model 3 P75DL
2.8s 0-60mph
$60K fully loaded before taxcredits.

then I am sold, I really do wish it turns out that way.

Just like others Model 3 Ludicrous has got to be sub 3.0s car at launch without easter egg. It just has to.

Reactions: DaDr00
I expect 1650 kg for the base version, but add in 100 kg of extra batteries, 125 kg for a front drive unit and a 75 kg driver and you've reached 1950 kg.

The current 75D weights 2107.8 kg * 80% = 1685.6 add 51kg for the P rear motor and you're at 1736.6 add a 75 kg driver and you're only at 1811.6 kg.

...and again you'd be at 2.6 seconds with your math minus rollout.

Last edited:
My guesses are here: Attempting to price out options for Model 3 (Part 2!)

42k USD for the 75 kWh Model 3, and 60k USD for the P75D, but that includes 8k worth of options on top of the 75 kWh Model 3. That works out to 10k USD for two seconds less on 0-60 mph, or 5k USD per second. ;)

I predict the base 3 with no extra options and the smallest battery (60kwh?) will start at $42K. I predict a Ludicrous base 3 loaded with all options will approach $90K.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I could well be. But...

I thought I wanted Ludicrous when I imagined it was just a name for a faster trim line. But I think I read (with regard to the Model S) that Ludicrous is actually a special mode that requires the car to do special preparation, and cannot be repeated sooner than 10 minutes between runs.

This is of no interest to me because I'm not going to take my car to the drag strip. What I love about my Roadster is that when I floor it from a stop it throws my head back and leaves all other cars way behind. Once there was a hot-rod Ford next to me, with open wheels and no top and no muffler, and I smoked him. My Roadster is a non-Sport and was in Standard mode. I test-drove a P85D Model S (no Ludicrous), and it was even quicker. It didn't just throw my head back; it pushed my entire body back into the seat. But the Model S is way too big a car for me.

I didn't buy my Roadster for being a sports car, or for being fast. I bought it because at the time it was the only EV I could get to replace my massively under-powered Zap Xebra. But now I'm spoiled by all that torque. I want my Model 3 to be at least as quick as the Roadster. But I don't want to have to put it into a special mode to do it. I want the dual-motor, performance trim line, and I want it to be quicker off the line, in normal driving in standard mode, than my Roadster. I see no point in Ludicrous mode, if I understand correctly what it is, unless you're going to race the car at the drag strip.

I thought I wanted Ludicrous when I imagined it was just a name for a faster trim line. But I think I read (with regard to the Model S) that Ludicrous is actually a special mode that requires the car to do special preparation, and cannot be repeated sooner than 10 minutes between runs.

This is of no interest to me because I'm not going to take my car to the drag strip. What I love about my Roadster is that when I floor it from a stop it throws my head back and leaves all other cars way behind. Once there was a hot-rod Ford next to me, with open wheels and no top and no muffler, and I smoked him. My Roadster is a non-Sport and was in Standard mode. I test-drove a P85D Model S (no Ludicrous), and it was even quicker. It didn't just throw my head back; it pushed my entire body back into the seat. But the Model S is way too big a car for me.

I didn't buy my Roadster for being a sports car, or for being fast. I bought it because at the time it was the only EV I could get to replace my massively under-powered Zap Xebra. But now I'm spoiled by all that torque. I want my Model 3 to be at least as quick as the Roadster. But I don't want to have to put it into a special mode to do it. I want the dual-motor, performance trim line, and I want it to be quicker off the line, in normal driving in standard mode, than my Roadster. I see no point in Ludicrous mode, if I understand correctly what it is, unless you're going to race the car at the drag strip.
It doesn't matter, lately ludicrous isn't an extra charge on top of the performance version.

What you are thinking of is not "Ludicrous", but "battery pre-heat" I think. Yes, you need that to get the fastest possible acceleration, but it will not be a slow car without. It may be 0.1-2 seconds slower? Maybe 0.3? So you will still be able to leaves all other cars way behind - except Teslas with "Ludicrous" that has prepared with "battery pre-heat" ;)

There is no 10 minute limit between runs even in Ludicrous Plus mode but if the stater or battery gets too warm it will reduce power.

I've been seeing banner ads on this site for the "new" Porsche Panamera and 911. Both of these have power and performance numbers that are not as good as baseline Model S. (0-60 in 4.4 vs Tesla 4.2). Prices are comparable to Teslas.
It will be hard for them to sell their premium performance sports cars against offerings from Tesla.

The only two facts currently known are

1. It will have a Ludicrous mode
2. Elon answered a question that mentioned an 11s 1/4 mile this way:

fyIOdcr.png

My personal belief is that Ludicrous is a relative merit (compared to base performance), not an absolute one. As an example Ludicous X was originally equivalent/worse than Insane S.

I expect something like the following:

55: 5.8s
75D: 5.0s
P75DL: 3.5s

[And, if it's any faster, I'll be happy]

Reactions: favo
The only two facts currently known are

1. It will have a Ludicrous mode
2. Elon answered a question that mentioned an 11s 1/4 mile this way:

fyIOdcr.png

My personal belief is that Ludicrous is a relative merit (compared to base performance), not an absolute one. As an example Ludicous X was originally equivalent/worse than Insane S.

I expect something like the following:

55: 5.8s
75D: 5.0s
P75DL: 3.5s

[And, if it's any faster, I'll be happy]

Oh so little faith :p

• Love
Reactions: Model 3
You were being facetious, right? ;) Nobody actually believes it will be end up actually being $35K for the base model, right? The Model S and X, and even the roadster all cost more than promised. Heck, the price of the roadster was raised after most placed their initial orders but before production began.

The price has been listed on the website as "$35,000" for the base Model 3 for the entire year since the reveal. Suggesting it will change in a couple months when the launch happens is nonsensical IMO.

Since the target for the Model 3 is the BMW 3 series, we can reasonably expect the Model 3 to beat the BMW in at least a couple performance metrics (namely 1/4 mile ET and 0-60mph). That gives us upper and lower bounds in the form of the P100D and BMW M3, between which the Model 3 should fall somewhere in between.

0-60mph: 2.5 / ?? / 4.0
1/4 mile: 10.6 / ?? / 12.2

I'm betting the first iteration of the Mod3 PXXDL will nudge up closer to the Model S numbers than the BMW.