Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 new range for LR AWD car: What about us with 3 months old cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two days ago mine showed 298 P3D- of rated range, which is higher than it has showed in months. Now today with 32% charge (not sure if that matters), it shows a rated range of 288. What the hell? I think I’m going to ignore this rated range silliness.
That is wise. I've given up and set my display to energy instead of distance.

You are confusing rated range with projected range. The projected range is basically a random number generated by the formula:

Rated miles remaining * 245Wh/rmi / (Last 5/15/30 efficiency in Wh/mi)

I would just switch to miles instead of percentage if you want to see a more accurate estimate of your energy remaining (and ignore the Energy Consumption screen). But if you prefer % that is cool.

Regarding the OP - good that they did not update the Performance. Probably with a low take rate they technically could have. Good that the rated range improvements (which are presumably real) are coming to AWD vehicles. I would assume there will also be an increase in rated range with the Performance. Presumably this will be implemented as a change in the consumption constants, and a corresponding actual real improvement in efficiency. Energy available will presumably remain the same as always, but I guess we will see if they changed the discharge minimum/maximum voltages.
Alan - Do you where Tesla includes the "wheel size" variable in their calculations? When you change the wheel size in the service menu it specifically states it will affect estimated range. It then proceeds to reboot the MCU when you confirm the wheel size change. I tested it out in the garage by changing my 18's to 20's, let it reboot, and noticed the remaining miles didn't change immediately. I then changed it back. Not sure what this variable actually affects.

That is wise. I've given up and set my display to energy instead of distance.

The only downside to using % vs rated range is you might not spot a module going bad. The % will be the same happy number, but if you are using rated range your miles will decrease precipitously over a short time and keep going down. A few S owners have caught bad modules that way.

The only downside to using % vs rated range is you might not spot a module going bad. The % will be the same happy number, but if you are using rated range your miles will decrease precipitously over a short time and keep going down. A few S owners have caught bad modules that way.
I do occasionally (once every couple of weeks) switch it back to distance just to make sure I haven't lost 30 miles of range all of a sudden. For day-to-day, the energy setting keeps my blood pressure lower :)

Reactions: Az_Rael
If you leave it on % and have stats or teslafi, I’d say you get the best of both worlds. I can see degradation, if significant, via those apps, and still keep my % on my display.

Alan - Do you where Tesla includes the "wheel size" variable in their calculations? When you change the wheel size in the service menu it specifically states it will affect estimated range. It then proceeds to reboot the MCU when you confirm the wheel size change. I tested it out in the garage by changing my 18's to 20's, let it reboot, and noticed the remaining miles didn't change immediately. I then changed it back. Not sure what this variable actually affects.

The wheel configuration affects the predictions on the Energy Trip page (the predictions about arrival %). 18” is most optimistic, followed by 19”, followed by 20”.

I am not aware of anything else this variable affects. I have not seen any effect on the battery gauge rated miles (nor would I expect that).

It doesn’t affect the estimated range calculation on the Energy Consumption page, because as I have said previously, that calculation always uses the charging constant (which is a value that is 5Wh/mi less than the position of the “rated” line on that page - or can be calculated accurately after a large charging session - values are posted elsewhere of course).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
I’m confused. Is the RWD still available?

No, but plenty of us still have LR-RWD versions... and sometimes they go for sale on Tesla's website. In past experience, stuff on Tesla's website gets updated with the 'latest' specs (0-60 time, range, etc) even if it sold as less originally, so I imagine if they did update the EPA range to be higher it would be reflected on a used one.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I use Stats, and it has the calc just like teslafi of the rated range. I am aware of estimated, and that is not what I’m quoting above. My rated range fluctuates daily from 292 to 295. A couple days ago it finally went to 298 now 288.

View attachment 472070

Holy crap that is a huge image. Sorry about that.
The Stats app will show Estimated Range in the upper left circle, is exactly the same as the 30 mile AVG figure on your Energy Consumption screen. The Rated Range in the upper right circle will match what the car shows, if you toggle your graphic from % to Range. The only difference occurs when there's a lag between %SOC at the top of the screen on Stats, and what the car shows. I call it rounding errors, but if you run the Stats app while you drive, you'll see the Rated Range figure change in a 7 mile range, up and down.

The Stats app will show Estimated Range in the upper left circle, is exactly the same as the 30 mile AVG figure on your Energy Consumption screen. The Rated Range in the upper right circle will match what the car shows, if you toggle your graphic from % to Range. The only difference occurs when there's a lag between %SOC at the top of the screen on Stats, and what the car shows. I call it rounding errors, but if you run the Stats app while you drive, you'll see the Rated Range figure change in a 7 mile range, up and down.
At 100% charge it shows 298 now. While it was charging it would jump 10 miles from 282 to 292. Anyway. I’m not going to get hung up on rated range. Just was curious.