Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 - Permanent Dashed Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying that if you’re plugged in, but not charging then 7.4kW of that demand would be taken from the charger?

Yes. So watch the electricity tarrif if conditioning.

Personally, I'm not a fan of everyone drawing several kW of power from the grid to warm their car/batteries just around the time of the start of peak daily electricity demand. Hopefully this may be where smart charging can help, by curtailing the rate of charge to allow the energy to be used for more important things.

Last edited:
19ºC is plenty warm enough, Bjorn had had his down to -17ºC and gets all regen back after a bit of spirited driving.

Preheat (turn on climate remotely) and you wont notice it.

Here's last winter early morning preheat. outside roughly -1ºC, it took about 35 mins for it to fully heat up cabin & batt (when the power use dropped from 9kW to about 2kW )

It wasn't plugged in so all the energy came from the battery and reduced the range. Plugged into a standard 7.4kW home charger and you'll lose a lot less

20200121.jpg
How did you produce that graph?

I often do early-morning journeys during winter to places where chargers are scarce or non-existent. The comfort of a nice, toasty cabin aside, I understood that the increased efficiency that pre-heating gives makes quite a bit of difference to the effective range in the cold too?