Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Trunk VS Dog!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Since my 31.3.2016 reservation I have had always only one issue with TM3 and till this day I am still not sure :

Can I transport my dog (medium sized dog - 18kg/38 pounds) in the trunk of TM3?

Everyone focuses only on the opening and how deep the trunk is etc. but never discuss whether this trunk will be suitable for transporting animals without folding down the back seats. What I need to know is wheter the upper part of the trunk ( the part between the seats and the back windshield which is normally removable in a hatch car like the S is) is also removable/openable in TM3. Because I cannot lock my dog in a sealed black hole which usually common sedan trunk actually is. You know it is a living organism and it needs an oxygen and sunlight.

Anyone have any idea how this could work on TM3?

Thanks!

Hi everyone. Since my 31.3.2016 reservation I have had always only one issue with TM3 and till this day I am still not sure :

Everyone focuses only on the opening and how deep the trunk is etc. but never discuss whether this trunk will be suitable for transporting animals without folding down the back seats. What I need to know is wheter the upper part of the trunk ( the part between the seats and the back windshield which is normally removable in a hatch car like the S is) is also removable/openable in TM3. Because I cannot lock my dog in a sealed black hole which usually common sedan trunk actually is. You know it is a living organism and it needs an oxygen and sunlight.

Thanks!

It's a trunk, you cannot remove the rear deck. THere's a mesh section but it's not really appropriate to do that for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that your dog should be safely restrained so he has a chance of living through a crash.

Thanks!
There's a hole in the top of the trunk, but you can't remove it.
You'll get some light in there, not sure about the oxygen though, but short journeys should be OK.

I'm planning to transport my golden retriever in the M3, but no way he's going in the trunk. Too small, too dark, too scary. I'll let him sit at one of the back seats. For the fur and dirt we'll put down a cover for him to lie on. I bet two adults can sit beside him. He'll probably like that 'cause he's a people's dog.

If one seat was down, and he would be happy lying down and looking forward, that’s an option. But that’s all dependent on the dog and his size and demeanor. (Assume male dog, no offense to female same :D .)

As for without folding things down, it is a TRUNK, not a hatchback, or an S without the shelf. Not sure why any other interpretation would be possible. Is there a pic that is giving some other impression?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It seems I am in troubles now. I like TM3 so much but the trunk thing is such a shame :( I would exchange those few inches of headroom at back for a hatch any day. From videos the passengers in the back will have plenty of head room now but their thighs will float in the air without any support so it will not be comfortable ride anyway :(
TM3 is still a great car and I know there is no way how to satisfy everyone needs. I guess I will have to wait for Y in the end.

Reactions: lukex4
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It seems I am in troubles now. I like TM3 so much but the trunk thing is such a shame :( I would exchange those few inches of headroom at back for a hatch any day. From videos the passengers in the back will have plenty of head room now but their thighs will float in the air without any support so it will not be comfortable ride anyway :(
TM3 is still a great car and I know there is no way how to satisfy everyone needs. I guess I will have to wait for Y in the end.
Fortunately in Europe there are some more offerings of EVs (which Czech Republic should have access to?) where in North America the options are more limited. Maybe the new Leaf would be better for dogs but the Tesla Model 3 is such a cool car. I would go with the car seat cover for the back seats and put my dog in the back seats.

Wait, are you worried that your dog will fall off the seat into the foot well or that their legs will be hanging off the edge of the seat? If so you should consider a dog hammock for the back seat: Windowed Dog Hammock Car Seat Protector / Windowed Hammock Seat Protector -- Orvis
Or a backseat extender: Dog Travel Accessory / Solid Foam Microfiber Backseat Extender -- Orvis

I have that hammock in my current car and it's perfect. Keeps my seats protected and my two dogs are secure and happy.

Reactions: ölbrenner
Ours will be a dogmoble although we always use a small crate. (15-20 lbs terriers). Because trunk, we are assuming that a seat will be folded down the day we pick up the car and remain so forevermore. Prefer hatch for loading/unloading but that’s not what’s on offer and not sure I’ll live long enough or have money left by the time the Y is a realistic option.

IMG_7362.jpg
IMG_7364.jpg
IMG_7361.jpg

Wel, as far as I know TM3 have 60/40 split so you will not fit 2 ppl on just 60% of back seats. Also It is always nice to keep my dog in trunk of my hatch so the fur/dirt etc. is not all over the cabin :(
Normally, the 60% side includes the entirety of the nominal middle seat, and that appears to be the case in TM3. Whether an adult wants to sit there is one thing, but the seat belt and seating surface should be available.

Yeah, I see this as a downside switching from the Model S to the Model 3. The dog will just have to go on the back seat (which will make my son happy, he prefers the dog in the back seat over the rear anyway). We more often take my wife's SUV when we have the dog anyway.

Yeah, I see this as a downside switching from the Model S to the Model 3. The dog will just have to go on the back seat (which will make my son happy, he prefers the dog in the back seat over the rear anyway). We more often take my wife's SUV when we have the dog anyway.
I make multiple trips to the beach a week with the dog, and the dog in the backseat is very inconvenient. The backseat area is so sandy :(