Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Weak WiFi Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the version from this

I thought an image would be worth a thousand words so here we go:

Firmware update to 2020.20.12
Theoretically connected with 1 bar, sometimes 2
Been like this for 3 days and the green progress bar doesn’t move
I have left the car locked

Frustrating

6FB9DDEF-538C-4F91-8A5A-9AEF094F92FE.jpeg

Hi,
I have only had my car for 3 days now...still getting used to it. But this update thing it's annoying me. What other options do i have? should I go to a supercharger and update the car there?
I have also changed the channel in the 2.4GHz setting to channel 6, just in case. It was previously in channel 1.
Thanks

@joanfa where did your car come from if you have only had it for a few days as the software is many versions old and certainly needs a service booking via the App. as it will not update as described above and in this link Tesla requiring cars to update to new firmware

yeah a pity there's no RJ45 Ethernet socket to hardwire the Model 3 into your own network...
In fact, Tesla could add a simple device to extract the Internet signal from a power line.

Let me explain it:

I have my car parked in the garage of my building and I cannot access my own WiFi.

To solve this issue, I installed a WiFi extender which consist of:
- a device injecting the Internet signal into my power line at home.
- another device extracting the Internet signal in my garage, and sending the signal to a WiFi transmitter.​

Then I just need to connect my car to this WiFi transmitter.​

So it would be even simpler to have inside the car the device extracting the Internet signal, thus skipping the need of the WiFi.

However this solution would work only if the car is plugged. So using a WiFi extender is more flexible.

WiFi Extender .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rotor2k
I find that RCD's and split fuse boxes significantly attenuate the signal from powerline adaptors, to the point that it becomes unusable. Given that a charge port will (in UK) have at least one RCD upstream and possibly more between another powerline unit if in its own fuse box, I think that idea will be as much benefit as a weak wifi signal. imho.

I find that RCD's and split fuse boxes significantly attenuate the signal from powerline adaptors, to the point that it becomes unusable.
Given that a charge port will (in UK) have at least one RCD upstream and possibly more between another powerline unit
if in its own fuse box, I think that idea will be as much benefit as a weak wifi signal. imho.
Well, my flat is 3 floors (10 m) above the garage and my EV charger is 50 m from the main panel.
I have a circuit breaker and I have an extension cable with power strip protection (something that was not recommended).
The plug in the garage where I plug the WiFi extender has also GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupter) protection.

The WiFi range extender is on the driver side of the car, but the WiFi antenna is in the passenger side exterior mirror.
So far the WiFi reception was not a problem. I can also connect my phone from inside the car.

I even try plugging my WiFi extender using different utilities plugs in the garage.
Those utility plugs are located on another circuit, so the Internet signal has to pass through my main circuit breaker and electrical meter.
Then pass through in reverse order another electrical meter, a main circuit breaker and a dedicated circuit breaker.

I guess, all depend of the signal power sent into the power line and the radiation power of the WiFi antenna.
I was able to connect my phone to the WiFi extender from the street, while I am not able to detect my home WiFi rooter from outside.

I use a NetGear PowerLine PLW1010.

Last edited:
Is you circuit breaker a fuse or RCD? An RCD can severely attenuate the powerline signal. I have witnessed this across several installations and appears to be the normal rather than the exception. I really hope its not the case as I'm about to get another fuse box installed, but the powerline signal will be passing through 2 RCD's, and I'm expecting marginal signal at best.

Is you circuit breaker a fuse or RCD? An RCD can severely attenuate the powerline signal. I have witnessed this across several installations and appears to be the normal rather than the exception. I really hope its not the case as I'm about to get another fuse box installed, but the powerline signal will be passing through 2 RCD's, and I'm expecting marginal signal at best.
It's an older building, build in the 70's, the breakers are thermal magnetic circuit breakers, not the arc-fault and ground-fault circuit breakers.

@joanfa where did your car come from if you have only had it for a few days as the software is many versions old and certainly needs a service booking via the App. as it will not update as described above and in this link Tesla requiring cars to update to new firmware

Hi,

I collected the car from the Heathrow branch, on Tuesday last week, 30th June.

I have called the Tesla Service and they say they will call back as try to do something over the phone.

I have the added problem that this is a lease car and they have not yet transferred the car to my Tesla Account, so it makes the dealings with Tesla a bit awkward too.

I have also realized that the 3G/LTE connection is not great either, most of the times I have no connection and have to use the phone as satnav...not great for a £40k car. While driving even in Motorways, no signal received from the 3G/LTE, which is weird.

I am not happy about the wireless connections of the car at all.

Hi @joanfa
It is an oddity how your firmware is so old but Tesla can push an update out or do it with a Ranger visit so will not be a problem for future updates when sorted.
The LTE connection should be pretty solid as I rarely lose it unless out in the sticks and then it falls back to 3G or lower. Its only voice commands that require immediate response that fail.
Satnav should certainly not fail so my guess is that an antenna connection is loose as mentioned by another in the forum some time ago. Push the buggers to sort it pronto.

Hope the rest of the car is ok as mine has been pretty fault free luckily.