Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TM3 Weak WiFi Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the added problem that this is a lease car and they have not yet transferred the car to my Tesla Account, so it makes the dealings with Tesla a bit awkward too.

I have also realized that the 3G/LTE connection is not great either, most of the times I have no connection and have to use the phone as satnav...not great for a £40k car. While driving even in Motorways, no signal received from the 3G/LTE, which is weird.

Its quite possible that your car has been disconnected due to old firmware. This, pre covid 19 times, was promised for early may. It may explain your issues. First case I have seen if it is that. Once you get on more up to date firmware, hopefully your connectivity issues will resolve themselves. Hopefully you can follow up on here with any progress.

As for being awkward dealing with Tesla due to lease. It can be a bit like that irrespective of lease or not o_O Sometimes you get a good-un, like I had today, sometimes a bad-un, like I had Friday.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
More news:

I called Tesla Service and explained the issue. A few hours later, I received a text saying that they had forced an update and that I had to install it asap.
I am downloading the update right now, connected to my 1-bar wifi...but it actually IS downloading! Version 2020.20.17 (the frozen one was 2020.20.12)

They also said this should resolve the 3G/LTE issue, I will check that tomorrow as I have some driving to do.

Well, I’m happy it is updating finally. Let’s see if it improves the connectivity issues overall.

Attachments

• 21606089-0CA2-4E73-ADEB-EADC4C05C393.jpeg
    21606089-0CA2-4E73-ADEB-EADC4C05C393.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: Rustybkts
I have found a soloution for the weak signal in an M3

Someone else posted a similar soloution so this is not my idea and is using a similar product listed here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL...p/B073TSK26W/ref=psdc_430579031_t2_B00TACCPUW

This product is also at a similar price does the same/similar and about the same size (might be smaller).

I have purchased a small TP-Link TL-WR802N (£21 + P&P) and is very easy to setup. It is powered by USB and connects really well to my home wifi even when parked across the road.

TP-Link TL-WR802N - 300Mbps Wireless Nano Router | Ebuyer.com

Setup:

1. Plug in via USB
2. Connect phone/Laptop/Tablet to the TP-Link via wifi.
3. go to 192.168.0.1 using a web browser.
4. Enter Username & Password ("admin" for both to start with).
5. Setup using the WISP Mode settings.
6. Scan for Wifi connection and connect to the one you want.
7. Enter the PW details for your home/office WiFi
8. Create your own SSID and Password settings.
9. Reboots on Save
10. Connect Tesla to new wifi in car.

Thats it, everytime you pull up in your car and select park. This then connects to your WiFi.

Trying to find an alternative Firmware for it so i can have multiple Connections (ie Office/Home/Other)

Last edited:
Having issues with this all of a sudden. Car right now is parked 2.5 mtrs away from the router only glass between. Car only on 1 bar but that keeps dropping. Soft (scroll wheel) reset and restarted the router but no change. Odd as its only started about a week ago.

Check your wifi channel. If its at either end of the channel numbers, chose one in the middle. Worth trying a different channel anyway if you have near by neighbours. Wireless Access Points seem to be getting stronger and stronger so you may be seeing the effects of spillage from a neighbour.

Reactions: Anfieldgaz
Trying to work out if this is the norm...

My router is about 4 meters away from the car, separated from the car by a double glazed window. Can't pick up the network from the car, can just about connect on my phone although the signal is weak, especially with the car doors closed.

Bought a deco home mesh system so now have an access point about 0.5m from the boot of the car. Router is now in modem mode only. The mesh access point supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

I can now get a very weak signal in the car but fluctuates between 1 and 2 bars on the WiFi icon in car, meanwhile my phone shows full bars.

Anyone else experiencing the same? Just seems the range is super weak, especially for 2.4Ghz. Was tethering previously but would prefer not to have to leave the phone in the car whilst downloading updates.
My new 2022 M3 is 1 week old. I have 5GHz WIFI only after Tesla reboot the car.
Now I have the same problem as you: any cellphone inside the car show full signal 2.4GHz and 5GHz but the car barely show a few tiny notches. My routers are 5 meters away.
I think there is no connection from WIFI radio module out to antenna (that is most likely feed on windshield heater together with the AM-FM radio). It could be some unconnected connector toward some kind of combiner to share same antenna.

This comment didn't ring true to me so I tried shifting the AP that covers my model 3 to channel 13 and it works just fine. WiFi chipsets are likely to be global, with software determining what channels they're allowed to use based on location. In my case the car will happily connect to channel 13 on 2.4GHz (and also DFS channels on 5GHz).
WIFI standard covers all bands. WIFI chip standard scan all bands for clean channel and lock on. But it seems if the channel become noisy it does not move on. 2.4HHz band are popular, longer range, but noisy. 5GHz band has much shorter range but clean even when weak.

I think there is no connection from WIFI radio module out to antenna (that is most likely feed on windshield heater together with the AM-FM radio)
It is in the door mirror and is a dedicated antenna. Try parking the other way around in case the door motor/glass/car body is blocking the signal.

The antenna is poor quality and the coax used between it and the Wi-Fi module attenuates the signal quite a bit so you will never see a great signal level.

My new 2022 M3 is 1 week old. I have 5GHz WIFI only after Tesla reboot the car.
Now I have the same problem as you: any cellphone inside the car show full signal 2.4GHz and 5GHz but the car barely show a few tiny notches. My routers are 5 meters away.
I think there is no connection from WIFI radio module out to antenna (that is most likely feed on windshield heater together with the AM-FM radio). It could be some unconnected connector toward some kind of combiner to share same antenna.
I have exactly this and can only pick up WiFi from my phone hotspot inside the car.. makes nav updates very difficult as they're so big, but maintain WiFi in drive means I can download other updates fine. Irritating though and it doesn't feel as if there's any antenna at all

In my case, the car picks up a feeble signal my home router a couple of metres away on less than 50% of occasions but at least I could look through the window once the car was awake if I needed wifi for a pending update. Usually I just unplug, go through the rigmarole of driving off the drive, turning round and driving back facing the window so the router on the windowsill is as close as possible to the wing mirror (2 or 3 bars rather than none or 1).

This probably explains why LFT/WiFi no longer appears on the top bar as we were previously reminded just how weak or non existent the signal is on every occasion we entered the car on the driveway etc. Tesla must realise its shortcomings so hide the evidence away rather than resolve the issue - "out of sight out of mind" is the easiest way to do this.

Now I will need to physically enter the car and tap the screen a couple of times to see if wifi is connected prior to a potential about-face. Annoying & unnecessary when there is no other reason to hide this.

(...by the way I have used all three of the recommended 2.4 gHz bands on my router - 1, 6 & 11 as well as couple of others. It makes no difference except that the router often crashes within a few days when I force a channel other than 'auto'. Also, is there evidence that the car can even use 5gHz?)

Reactions: candida
Also, is there evidence that the car can even use 5gHz
Yes it does but given that the 5 GHz signal gets attenuated more than 2.4 GHz through objects (walls etc.) then the 2.4 signal will almost always be stronger and therefore preferred, if the 5 GHz signal is even strong enough picked up by the poor antenna in the vehicle.

You need to have your router/AP very close to the vehicle for 5 GHz to work.

I thought it was in the driver's mirror? Like, pretty confidently so!

Tesla 3 WiFi/Bluetooth antenna is on driver's side for US/Canada cars. LTE antenna on passenger's side. Tesla S WiFi is passenger's side. I don't know for UK.

So many threads with bad information, Tesla service must be fell up of all the people telling them my router is next to passenger's mirror. Exactly what I did just earlier after complaining and trying to do troubleshoot with them over "chat".
😁😄😃😀😄😆😂☺️🤣😅

M3 has diverse LTE antennas, one in each mirror. Wi-Fi is only on RHS mirror (when sitting in vehicle) so driver’s side in the UK. The position doesn’t change whether the vehicle is LHD or RHD.

OMG!! How many times does this come up. Please check the facts before posting ‘facts’.

Go and look at the EPC parts catalogue and check the UK part numbers. Passenger mirror has 3 connectors. Drivers side has 2. Wonder why? Parts on eBay - look at the smaller outer antenna.

WiFi in the UK M3 is on the *passenger side*.

807E4A2A-4F3C-4451-AF67-BE4DCC3ACFD6.jpeg
735A7AE0-7588-424A-BDE6-5D08BAB8BA76.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: MrT3