TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TMC Chat Room?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Bardlebee, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

So there have been plenty of times where I have had questions that could be answered quicker and cause less clutter on the board if I could pop into a chat room on TMC. Would it be possible to do a chat room on TMC? This could be used to talk about short term TSLA stock too or whatever we wanted. As well it may divert people with small questions that can't find it via search to the chat instead.

Thoughts?

2. DRM

DRM Roadster #619

Anything that would reduce the thread-clutter here would be a welcome addition.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Moderation would be the issue. We already see people to after each other in threads. Not a bad idea at all but might just be a free for all.

4. Zextraterrestrial

how about a Question/ answers wiki.

there are some TMC users that have their own pages that contain some FAQ's (sorry no links

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The main problem with a chat room is that if you're asking questions, the responses are limited to those who are on line at the time--and interested in chatting. A question/answers FAQ/wiki or better searching capabilities would be better.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I like this idea. I'd like to hear whether the moderators have any opinions on it.

7. Zextraterrestrial

maybe a new forum that contains FAQ wikis

there should be instructions stating that answers are only to be added if they are factually know for questions that are factual in nature

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

10. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I don't know. I feel like we are all on this site 24/7 anyway. Chilling in a chat room could also be a fun alternative for the community to talk about EV's in general and would bring down the content in the forum.

I don't know that you necessarily have to monitor a chat room 24/7 to be honest. People can leave a chat room if it gets too snippy.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@dsm363, @Doug_G - Please reread the part I quoted, rather than just the thread title. Nigel understood. :)

13. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

#Tesla on FreeNode

KillerByte (MTOman on TMC) was apparently the only one there until I showed up. Now it's the two of us plus a couple hopeful future owners. More Tesla fans and owners would be great. However, it's not associated with TMC or any other community beyond the fact that a couple active members are there. IMHO, the casual and instant nature of IRC adds a lot to the sense of community.

14. Pilot_51

Pilot_51 Member

Thought I'd give a happy status update. #Tesla now has over 10 regulars! About half are Model S owners.
    Since Freenode owns #Tesla for some reason and refuses to give us control, we also have ##TeslaMotors, though it's not used quite as much.