Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Connect 2014 - Save the Date - July 18-20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bummer! What are the chances you'll actually be empaneled? Around here, it's less than 50/50...

Same here, but it can take a couple of days to go through the selection process. I've been summoned probably 4 or 5 times in my adult life, but on all but two I was excused because the summons came too close timewise to my last summons. On one occasion, I spent two days in the selection process only to be excused when they decided not to go to trial (probably some plea deal was struck). The second time I was on an "secondary" panel, but was excused when they were able to select a jury and alternates from the first group.

I'm writing a letter to see if I can get out of it, but don't know how well "because I want to go to California" will fly!

Same here, but it can take a couple of days to go through the selection process. I've been summoned probably 4 or 5 times in my adult life, but on all but two I was excused because the summons came too close timewise to my last summons. On one occasion, I spent two days in the selection process only to be excused when they decided not to go to trial (probably some plea deal was struck). The second time I was on an "secondary" panel, but was excused when they were able to select a jury and alternates from the first group.

I'm writing a letter to see if I can get out of it, but don't know how well "because I want to go to California" will fly!

Oh come on! How can they deny you the chance to join an extended "family reunion" and celebration that has been planned for almost a year!

At least in California you can choose the box that requests one time delay of 3 months (no excuse needed), but after 3 months you have to at least go and see if you are chosen. Also in the US, the lawyers like to relieve MD's and PhD's, so if you have an advanced degree you show up, lawyer asks you 2-3 questions and excuses you, then you are good for a while.

At least in California you can choose the box that requests one time delay of 3 months (no excuse needed), but after 3 months you have to at least go and see if you are chosen. Also in the US, the lawyers like to relieve MD's and PhD's, so if you have an advanced degree you show up, lawyer asks you 2-3 questions and excuses you, then you are good for a while.

It also helps to be very opinionated about things ;)

Aargh... Right in the middle of a fully-booked vacation for me. Will miss this :( Have fun, everyone!

So... this long-planned, month-long vacation fell through owing to work commitments for my wife and I :(

But, that does open up the chance to attend some part of TMCConnect! Just wondering if it's possible to join all the cool kids and the gang just for the Sunday breakfast?! Or, does the a la carte registration start with the Saturday conference as the baseline?!

If possible, I'll see you all that Sunday morning and at REFUEL for sure!

"Well if the police arrested him, he must be guilty!"

Or if that doesn't do the trick, try this: "I'm an engineer, and there's two sides to every story." The attorney with the weaker case will be tempted exercise his red pen at this point.

OTOH: the last time I was called, I ended up serving as jury foreman on a federal drug trafficking trial. YMMV... :biggrin:

My wife was called to jury duty last fall. Turned out to be a murder trial, would take months. She told the judge, "I'm co-owner of a small business." That's all she had to say - excused immediately.

I know we're getting a bit off topic, but the first time I was called, a sole proprietor of a small business pleaded that he could lose his business if he had to serve and the judge refused to excuse him. Later a retired woman who said they had travel plans to go to Europe was excused. The room was blown away by the inconsistencies between who were excused and who were not.

My problem is the day I have to report is July 14th and if I am excused, it might take a day or two of selection process, and last minute flights are usually way to expensive. I've written to the courts and asked for a quick reply from the trial judge.

Out of ~6 jury duty notices, I've only been in a courtroom once. Was going to be a 3-4 week trial. Turned out that I recognized the name of one of the attorneys (his brother had been my brother's soccer coach a decade or so before that trial). The attorney said he knew my family also, and the judge asked him if he'd be comfortable having me on the jury -- the attorney said no and I was the first person excused!

...and I think I'm screwed. They called and want proof of travel plans faxed to them, but I haven't actually booked the flight yet. If I do now and send that in, they'll see I booked after receiving the summons.:crying:

Not even the hotel or conference registration? You could simply tell them you were planning on driving.

Last edited: