Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Connect Snippets / Gems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were playing their cards very close to their chests. :mad:

Yeah, I was really hoping that they would give you guys something to chew on for a bit. A sneak peak at 6.0 would have been perfect. We already have some pretty fair guesses as to which new features will be unveiled (video, trip planner, etc.) that it seems the least they could do for a bunch of passionate enthusiasts who travelled across the country is give a little tease. I mean really, what's the harm? We're all going to get it eventually.

Now I really regret not speaking further with the factory guys. I figured they'd rather be left alone in their gloriously-shaded tents (I got so sunburned). Did they let you poke around at all, or was it just a "We have v6.0 and you can't have it"? :wink:

I should have too! I tried to send my wife over there (because I really wanted to!) and she was just sitting in the sun by our stuff frying all day! too many valuables to just leave in a pile :(
Sadly she didn't want to crash their party. I would looove to do test driving /engineering for Tesla. Kinda a new dream I guess (since I have a Tesla, check) Doing something for Tesla more than just selling cars would be amazing. really should have met the kids over there. next time can't come soon enough.

Be careful of this guy
Rolos.gif

The Bay is interesting. IMO, there are far fewer Model S on the east side than in So Cal. People always say the Bay is crawling with Tesla's but they must be referring to the west side as I visit family often near Pleasanton and don't see even close to the density as I do down here.

The Bay Area is indeed crawling with Tesla's but Pleasanton, where I live, has its fair share of them. 3 Model S's and 1 roadster on my street, and at least 6 more Model S's that I am aware of within 5 blocks of where I am. And I recently bumped into someone taking test drives at the Fremont location, and after some Tesla talk we both found out that we live within 0.5 mile from each other - he has an order in for his Model S now :smile:.

A) Interesting. So the P+ might employ a different cooling system than those on most of our cars? Otherwise, I don't see why Tesla would not create a performance mode on the UI that would increase the duty cycle of the coolant pumps.

This might explain why my car was sooooo much louder when the cooling kicked in at the supercharge test we did. It clearly had something different going on with the cooling.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have too! I tried to send my wife over there (because I really wanted to!) and she was just sitting in the sun by our stuff frying all day! too many valuables to just leave in a pile :(
Heh, my wife even borrowed one of their helmets to go for a ride on one of the races (thanks to that gentleman who took her with, I believe it was Gizmotoy). I went over to ask for it, but again, I didn't want to feel like I was encroaching.

I don't know why I felt that way, the SC people are so friendly. All the employees I've met out and about driving the cars for testing/vacation purposes have been friendly... oh well.

This might explain why my car was sooooo much louder when the cooling kicked in at the supercharge test we did. It clearly had something different going on with the cooling.

It could also be that most of us had the updated cooling system bracket and sound-deadening blanket installed, which substantially decreases the volume of the cooling system. Or a combination of the two.

Heh, my wife even borrowed one of their helmets to go for a ride on one of the races (thanks to that gentleman who took her with, I believe it was Gizmotoy). I went over to ask for it, but again, I didn't want to feel like I was encroaching.

It was. I still owe you guys some pictures of the run, I'll try to remember to get those passed along ASAP. There were quite a few that were very good.

My car was the newest of the 3 of us that did the supercharger 'A' battery test at Vacaville. Mine was noticeably louder than the other two, but it was also a P+
The Tesla rep at the track told Nick Howe that the cooling systems were all the same, but that the algorithm used to determine when to start cooling the batteries was different in the P+, so cooling would kick on sooner. At full tilt, then, they should all be the same volume. I don't know that we've independently verified any of this, and I don't think we've even heard a rumor that the P+ has a different cooling system, though, just a more aggressive software algorithm.

I don't know when you got the car vs. when they started shipping with the additional noise deadening, but there are other factors at play as well, including the temp of your batteries as you pulled in to Supercharge vs the others.

So there are a couple possible explanations: the other cars had the acoustic blanket/bracket installed and yours doesn't, your batteries started hotter and required more cooling, their cars had already started to taper and thus required less cooling, or the P+ has a different cooling system. Or some combination of the above.

The Tesla rep at the track told Nick Howe that the cooling systems were all the same, but that the algorithm used to determine when to start cooling the batteries was different in the P+, so cooling would kick on sooner. At full tilt, then, they should all be the same volume. I don't know that we've independently verified any of this, and I don't think we've even heard a rumor that the P+ has a different cooling system, though, just a more aggressive software algorithm.

Huh, so in that case it would be nice of Tesla to include a 'high performance' mode selectable in the UI for all cars. If selected, then the cooling system would be more aggressive and mitigate the power limiter. Sounds like they already have the software for it coded, so it would be as simple as adding a setting. Maybe 6.0?

Huh, so in that case it would be nice of Tesla to include a 'high performance' mode selectable in the UI for all cars. If selected, then the cooling system would be more aggressive and mitigate the power limiter. Sounds like they already have the software for it coded, so it would be as simple as adding a setting. Maybe 6.0?
That was our hope earlier in the thread, yes. Something like BMW's selectable M Sport mode. Some setting that says "I'm going to do my best to overheat this battery now, please start cooling it ASAP." Track Mode, or something like that.

Given all the other stuff on their plate, I wouldn't expect much, though. I'm sure this is WAY down the list.

I don't know when you got the car vs. when they started shipping with the additional noise deadening, but there are other factors at play as well, including the temp of your batteries as you pulled in to Supercharge vs the others.

So there are a couple possible explanations: the other cars had the acoustic blanket/bracket installed and yours doesn't, your batteries started hotter and required more cooling, their cars had already started to taper and thus required less cooling, or the P+ has a different cooling system. Or some combination of the above.

If that's only in the plus variant that's pretty stupid. The non-plus performance should also use the same algorithm...