Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Data analysis capture (using data captured by @RjbT3) for Model Version, Body Colour, Interior Colour & Vin in Source :

Data so far.PNG

RjbT3

Could you add the actual vins to the sheet? Maybe one under SC and another under agreement or something similar..

5YJ3F7EB6KF4xxxxx
Isuggest x’ing out the last 5 digits..

That way we can see if we can figure out some more of the Tesla Model 3 VIN structure... e.g digit 5 “F” I suspect is “5 door sedan (model 3, RHD)” as “E” is the LHD

5YJ = Tesla manufacturer
3 = Model 3
F = 5 door sedan (model 3, RHD)
7 = Type 2 manual seatbelts (Front, Rear*3) with Front Airbags, Side Inflatable Restraints & Active Hood
E = Lithium Ion Battery
B = ??? (Motor/Drive unit)
6 = check digit for VIN structure
K = 2019 (year of manufacture)
F = Fremont (manufacturing facility)

Would be interesting to see the digits for :
Vehicle type (digit 5) and,
Motor/Drive unit (digit 8)
for the different model 3’s

RjbT3

Could you add the actual vins to the sheet? Maybe one under SC and another under agreement or something similar..

5YJ3F7EB6KF4xxxxx
Isuggest x’ing out the last 5 digits..

That way we can see if we can figure out some more of the Tesla Model 3 VIN structure... e.g digit 5 “F” I suspect is “5 door sedan (model 3, RHD)” as “E” is the LHD

Currently, I am only distinguishing between a VIN in the Source Code and an actual VIN for the purpose of establishing who is likely to get a car delivered next.

We could include the VIN, but that would be dependent on members willing to share a large chunk of their VIN. Also, why? How will knowing the structure help? Are you thinking of being able to use the published VIN lists to figure out what spec RHD cars are on the way?

We could include the VIN, but that would be dependent on members willing to share a large chunk of their VIN.
There is nothing unique or personal about the first 11 digits

Also, why? How will knowing the structure help? Are you thinking of being able to use the published VIN lists to figure out what spec RHD cars are on the way?
to confirm digit 5 and to see the different digits (digit8) are for SR+, LRAWD, P-, P+

But if there are differences in Digit 8, and we can confirm digit 5, *and* we can get the list of newly assigned VINs then one could see:
- How many are RHD,
- And potentially a breakdown of models

Well I didn’t have a VIN at the start of this week but after calling to modify my order from a P- to a LR AWD to take advantage of the new pricing, it appears I now do have a VIN. This seems like progress to me! Some web research on how to decode the VIN helped me confirm that is does seem to be a genuine one:

VIN Assigned = 5YJ3F7EB1KF42xxxx (I’ve removed the last 4 digits)
Digits 1-3 = manufacturer = 5YJ = Tesla
Digit 4 = model = 3 = Model 3
Digit 5 = body type = F = RHD (no online VIN identifier decodes this but web research suggests F = RHD)
Digit 6 = restraint system = 7 = European config (as above)
Digit 7 = fuel type = E = Electric
Digit 8 = motor / drive unit = B = Dual Motor Standard (apparently this applies both to LR AWD and P models which goes to prove that the P is just a software difference)
Digit 9 = check digit assigned by manufacturer = 1 (no idea what this means, I think it’s irrelevant)
Digit 10 = model year = K = 2019
Digit 11 = manufacturing plant = F = Fremont, CA
Digit 12-17: Unique serial number = 42xxxx

Digit 8 = motor / drive unit = B = Dual Motor Standard (apparently this applies both to LR AWD and P models which goes to prove that the P is just a software difference)
Not necessarily - it depends what *exactly* they use it for - it could merely be to indicate single or dual motor.. and there may still be different dual motors...

Digit 9 = check digit assigned by manufacturer = 1 (no idea what this means, I think it’s irrelevant)
This is called the CheckDigit - you can think of it as a checksum - once the complete VIN is compiled all the values of each digit are used to calculate this check digit (checksum)

Status
Not open for further replies.