Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019/20 Orders and Deliveries [closed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard from Tesla that my vehicle has been allocated to somebody else due to some confusion between ports that has led to some collections due for the north being cancelled. I’d imagine this explains those flurry of lost VINs the other night.

At the moment I am back to square one, and I’m afraid the other guys who lost their VINs the other night may be too.

I’m afraid I don’t have a lot of confidence in getting a car any time soon.

• Informative
Reactions: RjbT3
I just heard from Tesla that my vehicle has been allocated to somebody else due to some confusion between ports that has led to some collections due for the north being cancelled. I’d imagine this explains those flurry of lost VINs the other night.

Okay I was thinking how a better UI can be built using existing data...but looks like they really need to figure out their own system first. Maybe use Confluence? Jira? :eek:

At the moment I am back to square one, and I’m afraid the other guys who lost their VINs the other night may be too.

I just had an update via email (I'd sent the request), definitely person and not computer generated. I also spoke to someone this morning who said that the volume of cars coming in the next few weeks is very large (which we all know). I'd figure they'll sort you out fairly quickly, will keep fingers crossed for you.....

______

Morning Mark,

Thank you for your email and for your patience whilst we have worked to come back to you at the earliest opportunity. You have been assigned to a vehicle that is due to be ready for delivery during the last week of September/Very early October, we have everything ready for you so, as soon as your car is closer, we will provide you with your final invoice and confirm your delivery window.

We are pleased to read that you are eager to move into your Model 3 and you can be assured that we are just as eager and so are doing everything we can to get you into your car at the earliest opportunity.

We look forward to introducing you to your Tesla!

I suppose once they assign a VIN / Car to you, then I would have thought they could keep you more updated to a point. It is at what point do they assign a VIN

I had a VIN, a registration number, a confirmed appointment, they took my payment and even finalised the paperwork while I was at my bogus collection appointment.

They just emailed me and followed up with a call. More of the same though... "It's a priority... not here yet... at the port and not being loaded... Not scheduled for delivery yet..."

If I had to move a car urgently from A to B today I could get it done within a few hours and I'm not a multibillion-dollar company. It might cost a few hundred pounds but I am having to shell that out anyway now, in terms of car hire or cancelling the sale of my current car.

They are telling me there is only 1 company handling the whole of the UK transporter logistics and they are managed from The Netherlands. Tesla UK can only speak with someone in Tesla in The Netherlands who handles the transporter logistics for the whole of Europe. This is not a good set-up but a typical one for a fast-growing corporation. I have been in that scenario before and all it takes is a senior person to step in to make an exception. Whoever the company is, they have the entire business for Tesla in the UK and so should make exceptions from time to time or allow another party to manage exceptions when they arise.

Someone with some authority could arrange another company to grab the car as an exception. Everything is possible it just takes some willingness to solve it. It just feels like the problem is being pushed back onto me...

"Oh, OK, that's fine, just deliver it whenever you can, keep my £11k in your bank and save some expense yourselves. I am away for 10 days now, in my hire car. What's that, you need to give the car to someone else now?" I can feel it coming!!

Reactions: Yev000

See, I saw that coming. I phoned about my 30 September delivery and was told the boat would arrive in Southampton on 30 September and my car would be ready for delivery on the same day in Edinburgh. It's logistically impossible imho.
I think someone didn't consider the distance between ports and service centers.

I think the whole process is haphazard and for Tesla that's fine because at the end of the day everyone gets a car and is happy.

• Funny
Reactions: Mulprs and RjbT3
Slightly off topic but my neighbour who just spent £55k on a Jaguar 300 Sport Edition (limited numbers) had his brand new factory car "lost" for 5 days last week. It was supposed to be delivery on Wednesday - he turned up at the garage with all the documents, payment and his wife, to be told......sorry we've lost it somewhere in the system.

Took them 5 days to "find it" again - and then a re-arranged visit to pick it up. Can happen anywhere I guess but Tesla not helping themselves much at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: RjbT3
Slightly off topic but my neighbour who just spent £55k on a Jaguar 300 Sport Edition (limited numbers) had his brand new factory car "lost" for 5 days last week. It was supposed to be delivery on Wednesday - he turned up at the garage with all the documents, payment and his wife, to be told......sorry we've lost it somewhere in the system.

Took them 5 days to "find it" again - and then a re-arranged visit to pick it up. Can happen anywhere I guess but Tesla not helping themselves much at the moment.

Similar experience with buying a Prius Plus this year. The promised delivery date was weeks different to the actual delivery date. I had to keep dealing with the sales guy at the dealer. Got no information about the movement of the car. Took about 3 months.

Having been through that I'm less stressed with waiting for the Tesla.

TLDR: I am not getting my car anytime soon.

Here's the final part of the story for the time being...

I've just been informed my car is not an exception – in Birmingham alone, I am one of 22 on that site they are missing.

So no sign of a delivery date this weekend or even next week for that matter.

They have created a major logistics issue for themselves by placing all their vehicle movements in the hand of one company. I suppose to save pennies. They absolutely do not care about the customer experience right now because they are incapable of communicating like any normal human beings (with the notable exception of one person in my personal experience).

Their logistics team are in the Netherlands and they handle all transport moves with a single UK third party. They have had issues all week which has caused a knock-on effect… Even when the UK team tries to arrange a different third party to move some missing cars, that haulier discovers they have been collected already, when in reality the contracted company has applied and placed them in lockdown until they can get to them. Then they get reprimanded for booking a different haulier in the first place.

Sounds very much like the haulier is protecting its revenue stream by ringfencing every last car movement, come what may. Not great for customer service, but what do they care about that? All they are interested in is working within the boundaries of their contract. Of course, ultimately this is Tesla's fault, but at a very senior level.

If it were any other car I would have cancelled my order whilst talking to Ellie earlier, I was sooooo close, I had to bite my tongue hard. Although it would have made me feel better at the time, next week I would most likely regret it.

I do hope Tesla manage to sort this mess out because I personally know a good number of people who are walking away from orders, or from ordering in the first place because of this. Whilst not a problem for Tesla now it will quickly become a problem. It's 80% comms and 20% logistics.

I am not cancelling my order, but it would be nice for someone at Tesla with the authority to recognise the pain with a gesture at some point. If anyone knows a contact for this that would be great?

If the car doesn't show up on Monday, I will most likely not be able to take it, for the time being anyway.

I almost feel like I just want to walk away. For the vast majority of people in this price bracket, buying a car isn't just another consumable item. It's expensive, requires arranging finance or moving money, finding the right insurance, selling the current car, timing it all perfectly so as not to be even more expensive, painstaking research for fear of making a mistake (most of that was enjoyable but fruitless), lots of ducks to line up. So when it falls apart it feels pretty devastating. I keep having to remind myself, it's only a car!

I phoned about my 30 September delivery and was told the boat would arrive in Southampton on 30 September and my car would be ready for delivery on the same day in Edinburgh. It's logistically impossible imho.
I think someone didn't consider the distance between ports and service centers.

If things had not sound as they are being handled in the Nederland's, I would not have been surprised.

I once was part of a delegate of visitors to a UK manufacturing plant. It was organised by members of a UK user forum, but the special guest was an American chap who created and ran the forum. Unfortunately he failed to turn up by lunch time, having made a 'last minute' decision when booking flights night before when he realised that getting from one side of Atlantic to the other, then half way up the country then back home again was rather more than a day trip. We may be a small country (or three) by some standards, but we are not that small, or that remote.

I got a similar call a few days after submitting order. A few people seem to have had a text reply for the same check point. Time will appear to go more slowly from now on ;)

If that wasn't bad enough, I see others that ordered around the same time as me are getting delivery dates and/or VINs, which makes me expect that there's likely to be progress soon, particularly as there seems to be a lot of shipping activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.