Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC going down for maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the work on the new site, Doug.

I don't know if this is an option you would be able to enable, but it would be helpful right now to be able to mark all messages within a group of selected threads as read. As far as I can tell, the option exists to mark all forums as read, and options exist with respect to managing threads, but there does not appear to be an option to allow all messages in a thread to be marked as read. It can be done one thread at a time, of course, by simply reading the last message in the thread, but that is quite time consuming.

Since somehow the settings for the last viewed messages did not manage to transfer (not a complaint) a work-around would be to simply find all of our watched threads that have posts that are not newer than Saturday, and mark all messages in those threads read. So if this is an option that you could enable, that would be great!

Thanks again!

Is there still a place, or will there be, to search for new posts for me. I see mark forums read, but I don't see a place to read unread threads.

The "new posts" at top menu bar will do that.

Actually not, it just goes to recent activity, and starts at post #1, not following the post where you read last.
Well, using "watched threads' works, once you actually have the correct message set as the last read post in each thread.

The problem is that it appears somehow, either intentionally or unintentionally, that information did not make the transition from the old site. I have a post upthread that would pretty much help get us to the point where we could identify new posts in our watched threads pretty quickly, but it relies on an option that may not be available in this software.

Having to search through thousands of posts in a long thread to find
your first unread thread ... Is a MAJOR pain in the finger, and WAY
Time consuming.

Also, pages appear to be 20 posts per page now, which makes
all the old links to page numbers no longer work correctly. I was unable
to find a setting to return to 10 posts per page.

We'll be going down for planned maintenance tonight 2016/3/12 at 8pm PST (2016/3/13 at 4am UTC).

If all goes well, we'll be back up by Monday morning. During most of the "down" period we'll have a read-only version of TMC up, so you should be able to browse but not post.

Cheers!

This wasn't maintenance Doug - it was a complete re-build and re-design of the forum with no input from your users (that I know of - maybe I missed the usability testing and focus groups that you did beforehand). And you knew it wasn't merely maintenance - I hesitate to go so far as to call you a liar but you definitely hid the truth of what you were doing by simply calling it "forum maintenance."

Then you give us a new forum with much lower information density and a less logical layout - and just pop it back online with no comprehensive explanation sticky as to why you did it.

WE YOUR USERS ARE THIS COMMUNITY - without us the forum is worthless. You owe us the courtesy of a detailed explanation of why you sacrificed usability - what we are gaining in return.

Lastly - I'm clearly not alone in my judgment as to the quality (or lack thereof) of the new layout - I'm simply the most vocal about it. Please give us an explanation.

XenForo is way way way better than vB....

Can you explain why XenForo is better? On my screen it looks dumbed down compared to the old Tesla Motors Club forum. There is less information on screen, and forum categories are not given in a logical nested list the way they used to be. There is no function to this form as far as I can tell. I'm all for sleek design but not if it doesn't serve a purpose.

If you click on 'New Posts' it lists all the posts that have been updated since your last visit. Clicking on the little blue dot will bring you to the first unread post.

The problem with using the blue dot, at least for me, and it sounds like for others too, is that the last read post information did not accurately transfer in the move to the new software.

I am subscribed to almost 1000 threads, so finding the last post in each thread and "reading" it is not an option.

A work-around that seems to be working is using the "watched threads" selection, and clicking on the last page of the threads at the top of the list, and then looking for any posts made after Saturday (I was up to date on my subscribed threads when the site went down for maintenance.) The problem with this is at some point in the future you'll be used to just clicking on the blue dot again and some old thread will be updated, and you may not realize that you're reading posts you've already read.

There are options to manage settings for groups of threads, but they seem limited to turning email notifications on, turning email notifications off, and stopping watching the threads. (These options are at the bottom of the "watched threads" list.) If there was an additiona option to "mark all selected threads as read" that would completely solve the problem.

Still working out wrinkles. Thanks for your patience. :)
Thanks Doug
I'm loving all the new stuff that's in this platform. The responsive design, the article navigation at the top of the page, simple watched thread and forums, fresh new look etc - great start for a new site.
Looks like a bunch of folks are really resistant to change (understatement of the decade) but some folks just don't seem to have even a few minutes patience :D

Well, using "watched threads' works, once you actually have the correct message set as the last read post in each thread.

The problem is that it appears somehow, either intentionally or unintentionally, that information did not make the transition from the old site. I have a post upthread that would pretty much help get us to the point where we could identify new posts in our watched threads pretty quickly, but it relies on an option that may not be available in this software.

I have marked everything "read" but I still start at post #1 and have to go through all the pages to find where I left off.

I have marked everything "read" but I still start at post #1 and have to go through all the pages to find where I left off.

The method I was suggesting did not involve marking everything as read first. That would prevent it from working.

Your "Watched Threads" are sorted by the time of the most recent post. So if you start at the top of that list, find your last read post, read the rest, etc., that thread won't appear in your list at the top again until there is a new post in it, and then clicking on the blue button will take you to the new posts.

In my case I worked through all my watched threads that had new posts Monday, since the site came back up with the new software. So for any of those threads, clicking on the blue button works. The problem is the first time there is a new post in an old thread I'll have to find where I left off. It is this problem that would be avoided if there was an option to mark all posts in a group of threads as read. I have sent this suggestion to both Danny and Doug via a "Conversation", as Danny requested in another thread.

It appears that the notification in a watched thread doesn't work unless you unwatch a thread and then set a watch again. All the threads I was subscribed to before the change show up in the watched list, but the alerts only appear to work for newly watched threads since the cut over.

I've been going through and viewing the last page of all the old threads that are watched to set the last viewed flag, but it can be time consuming when you have 14 pages of watched threads.

I do miss the reputation system, which was nice chrome, but ultimately it isn't necessary. The new format is going to take some getting used to. It took me a bit to find that subscribed threads are now called watched and where the link was (in plain site, but I never said I could spot the obvious!).

Can you explain why XenForo is better? On my screen it looks dumbed down compared to the old Tesla Motors Club forum. There is less information on screen, and forum categories are not given in a logical nested list the way they used to be. There is no function to this form as far as I can tell. I'm all for sleek design but not if it doesn't serve a purpose.
It seems like it's set up bare bones right now for some reason. The ability to "like" posts isn't there which is very odd. It looks this way because of the theme he is using... I"m not a huge fan of the theme either. Hopefully he can take out suggestions and add to it.