Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Iceland Meetup 2020!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a number of "maybes", but the majority have cancelled. My main concern this whole time has been worries about people who had already made reservations to come - I don't want them losing out on cancellations or whatnot.

I think that this point we should just say that there's no plans for "a meetup" due to COVID-19, but if anyone plans to come, let me know and I'll make sure that we still "meet up" :) Does that sound good? And I'll try to reach out to the remaining people on the group house booking list and see if they're okay with cancellation (it's easy to make your own reservations right now).
So nice to see new posts from you here even if they are only related to the trip so far. As much as I would love to go, it is impossible unfortunately.

I have no doubt you have been making oodles of krona on Tesla's volatility and recovery :)

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP and Robertj
Okay, let's make plans for "loosely a year from now".

Yes, AirB&B did hit me with hundreds of dollars in "fees" for their "fully refundable deposits", and even though they're ostensibly waiving all cancellation fees due to COVID, because they're only applying it to COVID-related cancellations that happened after mid-May for some reason, and two of the four houses were cancelled before then :Þ But, don't worry about that... I took the risk when I made the reservations, that's on me.

See you all next year (or if any of you do happen to come this summer, earlier :) )!

@KarenRei it’s great to see you back on TMC. Sounds like you had an awful experience with Audobon as did I. Audobon suspended me about 6 months ago for 10 days over some ridiculous little thing, then a few months later, probably the same week he came after you, he summoned me to this insane PM kangaroo court with like 5 mods, demanding to know why he should not BAN me outright, forever, for the heinous crime of . . . rating one of his posts Disagree. Literally! That was it! It was nuts. I think the other mods realized Audobon had lost his marbles and they stayed quiet. I was on the verge of quitting TMC in disgust when you and @FactChecking left and my own kangaroo court thing was going on, but then suddenly there was the mod purge and Audobon, the Wicked Witch of the West, seemed to have vanished.

Anyway, very glad to see you here again.

Well, my flight got cancelled anyway, so even if I was planning still to come I wouldn't be able to.
upload_2020-6-5_18-33-52.png

I received the same. Now I don't know what to do since I was going to reschedule to meet my daughter in Iceland in August. Are all IcelandAir flights cancelled?

They'll give you a code for the price of the cancelled flight that you can reuse.

I have no idea on the cancellation policy, but I could imagine it's based on how many request a voucher in place of a flight, so maybe by August this will have calmed.

They'll give you a code for the price of the cancelled flight that you can reuse.

I have no idea on the cancellation policy, but I could imagine it's based on how many request a voucher in place of a flight, so maybe by August this will have calmed.
I know. But has something happened in Iceland that they have taken this action to cancel almost all flights in June?

If a flight is cancelled and you are offered a credit, you might be able to get a refund if you push for it. SAS is refunding the ticket for my trans-Atlantic flight they cancelled.
Yes, Icelandair is offering the credit voucher but on the website they say you can apply for a refund. I may do that and book a new flight in August which browsing the schedule is cheaper than my current flight.

Okay, let's make plans for "loosely a year from now".

Yes, AirB&B did hit me with hundreds of dollars in "fees" for their "fully refundable deposits", and even though they're ostensibly waiving all cancellation fees due to COVID, because they're only applying it to COVID-related cancellations that happened after mid-May for some reason, and two of the four houses were cancelled before then :Þ But, don't worry about that... I took the risk when I made the reservations, that's on me.

See you all next year (or if any of you do happen to come this summer, earlier :) )!
@KarenRei, let me know what the fees are, I want to contribute to it, not fair you have to shoulder it alone.

Yes. :) Hopefully will be getting a new batch later this week or next week. I think I'm ready to switch from fence work to new planting. First need to build a "inner pen" to hold all the trees (a second line of defense just in case sheep find a way in), but that's really easy. Also need to move all trees from the trailer into the pen, and see what fraction of them are ready to go into the ground vs. need to wait longer (since a lot of them last year were held back either because they were unhealthy or because they'd been uppotted and needed time for their roots to grow out).

Also might soon be starting work on a research project with some state funding (crossing fingers!) about using wastewater from our hot water system to allow plants to grow faster and enable cultivation of crops here that otherwise wouldn't be possible / existing crops to have higher yields on a smaller footprint.

We are potentially visiting Iceland next month and would like to rent a Tesla or similar EV, if possible. We've checked Turo and other sites but haven't been able to find anything yet. If anyone can provide any info on Tesla rentals, please reply here or feel from to PM me.

Thanks!