TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TMC Iceland Meetup 2020!

Discussion in 'EVents' started by KarenRei, Jan 13, 2020.

1. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

BTW, here's what you're missing by choosing summer instead of winter ;) This is our current wind map, in meters per second (multiply by 2,24 for mph, 3,6 for kph). Sustained wind speeds, not gusts.

upload_2020-1-13_22-35-27.png

Summer is usually calm and sunny. Well, by our standards at least. :) June especially.

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 2
  2. gcmak

gcmak Member

I might re-visit your beautiful country in August of this year - would be neat if times and paths crossed!

• Like x 1
  3. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Any clue when in August?

4. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

I love photographing your beautiful country. This would be a great excuse to come back and thank everyone for their contributions in person. Will look into it :)

[​IMG]

• Love x 4
  5. HG Wells

HG Wells Active Member

Planes to and from Europe to Iceland are super cheap.

Look for bargain fares USA to Europe here, when we know dates.
    Cheap Flights & Error Fares from the US | USA Flight Deals - Secret Flying

Three years ago I did iceland to england for $50 one way.
    London to Rome $48.
    Rome to Switzerland $56.
    Then Switzerland back to Iceland $65.

Use a backpack (small) to avoid ridiculous baggage fees.
    Do laundry once week.

Bus to Reykjavik is more than one day car rental.
    Be sure to reserve car well in advance. Not many automatics available.

• Informative x 4
  6. FrankSG

FrankSG Supporting Member

I'm sold! I would love to join if the timing works.

• Like x 1
  7. Intl Professor

Intl Professor Active Member

May I suggest a date in moderation of the equinox (or some such lameapun): Fiftieth Earth Day, April 22, 2020?

Earth Day 2020 | Earth Day

We probably couldn't make it to Iceland as my wife will be in school then.

What about another idea, on the same day at Iceland, Alaska, Fremont plant, Sparks plant, Buffalo plant, Lathrop, GF5, Tilburg, and other sites connected by a Google or Skype connection for a group chant of "All we are saying, is...give Earth a chance?" to the tune of the song about peace? And, of course, there to celebrate employees and investors.

We can make it to Fremont.

Make it so, cap'n Karen or surrogate(s).

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. Yuri_G

Yuri_G Member

I visited with family in May 2018 and driving back from the North Coast, we got caught in a windstorm. That was a "holy sh*t" experience. Iceland left a permanent impression on me after that display of otherworldly power.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. NicoV

NicoV Supporting Member

My wife and I did an organized group photography trip to Iceland last februari, and will do another one in februari 2021 focusing on the north of Iceland. Iceland is such an addictive place for landscape photographers.
    Ideally I’d love to do a long road trip during the summer, with our Model S. The biggest problem is finding 3 or 4 weeks of free time in our schedule. We’ll probably postpone this untill there is more supercharger coverage in Iceland (maybe summer 2021).
    A short trip (long weekend) by plane during the summer should be possible, but I’d prefer the longer roadtrip, as it would provide more photographing opportunities.

I’d also like to do the road trip during winter, but then I’d have to find a place to rent studded winter tires, as my regular winter tires probably won’t be sufficient. We saw cars that had slid off the (ring) road every day on our first trip, I don’t want that to happen to us.

• Like x 2
  10. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

As neat as Earth Day would be, overwhelmingly requests were for this to be in the summer, when the weather is best. :( Earth Day is AFAIK usually near or on what we call Sumardagurinn Fyrsti (First Day of Summer), where people usually do "non-winter" outdoor activities for the first time (even though it's still fairly cold (~6°C daily high in Reykjavík, vs. ~15°C in mid July) ... but things are usually starting to grow around then, and the waves of winter storms have usually died down). Another day of note in Iceland is Dagur Íslenskrar Náttúru (Day of Icelandic Nature, 16 September)

Another day of note: 28 June. Musk's birthday :)

I love the power of nature here :) Fire, Ice, Air, Earth, Water, all on display with tremendous might.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  11. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

(Wind was insane last night. Woke up at one point to a gust that sounded like a bomb blast. Gusts elsewhere in the country were measured at 58m/s / 130mph / 209 kph)

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. FrankSG

FrankSG Supporting Member

That sounds great to me! I love storms. Can roll yourself up under 2-3 layers of blankets. I miss winter living in SEA.

If I manage to attend this meetup and I like Iceland, good chance I'll return in winter one day.

You must have amazing hot springs to keep you warm during the winter?

• Like x 1
  13. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Yeah, there's nothing like settling into a 40°C+ geothermal hot tub while a storm is raging outside :)

• Love x 3
  14. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Following. It's on my bucket list and I'm sure I owe Karen a couple beers for all the info.

• Like x 2
  15. Lessmog

Lessmog Active Member

Got a particular individual in mind? :cool:

• Funny x 1
  16. Lessmog

Lessmog Active Member

Must have been a blast!
    Speaking of, I understand that when renting a car it is wise to buy extra insurance for sand-blasting damage from storms. That can quickly ruin all glass on a car, which is expensive, as well as the paint. :eek:

17. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

• Funny x 1
  18. Lessmog

Lessmog Active Member

• Funny x 1
  19. Intl Professor

Intl Professor Active Member

To match the rest of us.

• Funny x 1
  20. Lessmog

Lessmog Active Member

So you're only 81? Can't be 100 for sure! ;)

• Like x 1