Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Iceland Meetup 2020!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Invites set on a couple other Tesla sites / groups. I went and offered Gali and Rob a personal invitation on Twitter. If you think of anyone else you'd like to offer personal invitations to, let me know. :)

If you can get "you know who", I'll bring a cake for the 28th. He may follow you or somebody you know on twitter.

I doubt he’d come to Iceland, but what if we did an officially sponsored major TMC Investor’s Club meetup in Fremont or Los Angeles? Seems like it could be a big hit, but of course would also require tons of effort. BTW, Thanks so much @KarenRei for the effort you’re undoubtedly putting in for the Iceland get together!

Sure would be nice to schedule bi-annual (or is it semi-annual?:)) meetups. Summer in Iceland, Northern Europe, Canada... and winter ones in warmer climes.

Invites set on a couple other Tesla sites / groups. I went and offered Gali and Rob a personal invitation on Twitter. If you think of anyone else you'd like to offer personal invitations to, let me know. :)

My other current faves are Dave Lee and Stephen who does the Solving the Money Problem series.

edit: Forgot Zach of CleanTechnica:)

Last edited:
I am up for this. Will try to persuade the wife to come, but she's scared of flying, so unlikely, plus she's pretty sick to death os Tesla vie me, so a room full of Tesla people, talking about Tesla, might give her a stroke...

I don't fly much either - any advice on how to find a cheap flight?

Heh, that's the last thing I want to talk about.

My primary ficus for this trip is other ppl's journey and diving between the 2 continents.

• Love
Reactions: KarenRei
Heh, that's the last thing I want to talk about.

My primary ficus for this trip is other ppl's journey and diving between the 2 continents.

Speaking of diving between the two continents: anyone who has interest may want to consider getting at least basic diving experience in advance. You can get dry-suit qualified during your dives at Silfra (all diving in Iceland is dry suit), although you may need to do some training before going out there - you'd have to contact a local dive operator.

diving-silfra-iceland-2.jpg

Silfra is an underwater (freshwater) rift at Þingvellir, the old parliament site:

thingvellir-99-26186.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ModelX and kbM3
So we need to nail-down some dates and agree it so we can start making arrangements.

Dates are nailed down - 26-28 June, plus any extended time you want. Are you and the spouse in? :)

For those not handling their own vehicle arrangements, I'll try to make sure that a rental vehicle or ride is available at the airport for everyone (otherwise, there's FlyBus, which goes from the airport at Keflavík to the bus station near downtown Reykavík). :)

Last edited:

Awesome! See you this summer!!

After a couple weeks, once I think we've gotten most everyone whos going to RSVP to do so, I'll reserve shared apartments for the lodging-pooling people. And once the Q1 Tesla deliveries are done (e.g. rental agencies will have theirs, if they booked them), I'll work on booking pooled cars. :)

Final dates are June 26-28. No ambiguity, no alterations. :) Optional extra time after the event for people who want to do stuff together, e.g. road trip and whatnot.

I’m definite now. I’ve got a friend there, so will probably stay 5-6 nights or so.

Are you planning to book us in downtown Reykjavik? I have no problem renting a car, but one time in Denmark, I found it very intimidating! Not knowing what different traffic signs meant, not knowing the language and the gazillion cyclists, made it stressful to drive. Hopefully Iceland is easier?

Driving is no problem. No significant differences.
If you want an automatic (they prefer stick shift) reserve early.
I am from Georgia and in my sixties.

Just avoid downtown at rush hour.
I would not drive in any major city in Denmark.
Best way to drive is use GPS on your phone. Get a local sim.
Be sure your phone is unlocked before leaving US.

Last edited:
I’m definite now. I’ve got a friend there, so will probably stay 5-6 nights or so.

Are you planning to book us in downtown Reykjavik? I have no problem renting a car, but one time in Denmark, I found it very intimidating! Not knowing what different traffic signs meant, not knowing the language and the gazillion cyclists, made it stressful to drive. Hopefully Iceland is easier?

@Troy provisionally revising his estimates for Q1 based on unconfirmed reports about GF3 production ramping timeline:

View attachment 502584

If you're one of the people looking to book a pooled car, I'm going to try to make sure they're all Teslas :) Can't make any promises, though. Have to wait until after deliveries start, which should be March. Going to try to allocate one Model 3 per 4 expected people in the rental pool, so we'll have a little extra buffer if more people show up for the pool than expected. It's too soon to know what the price will be per person; all rentals in Iceland are expensive . I expect rental companies would probably charge something about $90/€80 per day for a Model 3 LR, so ~$22/€20 per person per day. Time will tell. Might be able to get private rentals for cheaper.

Iceland is not a big cycling country, like Denmark. Roads are also wide, like in the US. Drive on the right, too. The reason is that the US built the first proper roads in Iceland during the occupation in World War II (long story short: the British believed that the Nazis planned to take over Iceland, which they had considered but rejected; launched a laughably incompetent "invasion"; then ultimately handed the country off to the US so they could focus their manpower elsewhere. Iceland took advantage of the situation to get its independence, sending Denmark a "Since you're so busy being occupied by the Nazis..." letter ;) )

Last edited: