Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Iceland Meetup 2020!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Lycanthrope Lol, do I need to post daily updates for the next five months? ;)

Unless anyone anyone has any objections, I'm going to go ahead this weekend and book apartments for the people who expressed an interest in sharing an apartment, using the number of people in each group times the probability of them coming, as per the RSVP page. :) I didn't want to do this too soon as there were still more RSVPs coming in.

Okay, so I've started working on shared apartments for the people who expressed interest in it. Based on a probabilistic weighting of the likelihood of people coming based on their RSVP status and who need a private room, plus an extra 20% we'll need 14 private rooms rented for 2 nights (any excess will go to the people who said they don't need a private room, if there is any excess :) ), 4 for 3 nights, and one for a week, on the assumption that 30% of those in Iceland for longer will want to remain based around Reykjavík

I'm looking around and I haven't been happy with the pricing on most of them (I'm trying to keep it down for you!). However, I'm thinking about going ahead and reserving this 3-bedroom (free cancellation) as one of them, which works out to $105/€95 per bedroom per night in downtown. Any objections?

GreenKey Apartment G4, Reykjavík, Iceland

The next cheapest multi-bedroom apartment on my initial search works out to $191/€172/bedroom/night (3x bedrooms) - and after that, $308/€279, $334/€302, $355/€321, etc. :Þ Since we're going to also have cars, I may expand the search beyond my original constraints of having to be in town; I mean, why constrain the search like that, right? :) It's not a huge city, after all. I can also try AirB&B rather than booking.com, although I'm not sure if they have free cancellation (I don't want to get stuck with personally having to pay for a lot of apartments that don't get used ;) )

ED: Expanded the Booking.com search. Adding these to the list of possibilities:

$166/€151 per bedroom per night (4x bedrooms)
Family apartment in Reykjavik, Reykjavík, Iceland

$191/€172 per bedroom per night (3x bedrooms)
Family apartment in Reykjavik, Reykjavík, Iceland

$211/€191 per bedroom per night (2x bedrooms)
https://www.booking.com/hotel/is/family-aparmtment-in-reykjavik.en-gb.html?aid=357026;label=gog235jc-1DCAMY9gMocDjqA0gJWANocIgBAZgBCbgBGcgBDNgBA-gBAfgBAogCAagCA7gCs9jW8QXAAgE;sid=360bf810e5ded5be43a2ca294ad9ca42;all_sr_blocks=502835301_171923926_5_0_0;bhgwe_cep=1;checkin=2020-06-26;checkout=2020-06-28;dest_id=-2651804;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=5;group_children=0;hapos=3;highlighted_blocks=502835301_171923926_5_0_0;hpos=3;nflt=fc=2;oos=1;concise_unit_type=2;;no_rooms=1;req_adults=5;req_children=0;room1=A,A,A,A,A;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=price;sr_pri_blocks=502835301_171923926_5_0_0__38000;srepoch=1580581009;srpvid=9add80887ca4004a;type=total;ucfs=1&#tab-main

Will check AirB&B's cancellation policy next, and if it's acceptable, do a search there.

ED2: Finding lots of more reasonably priced options at AirB&B. Still need to figure out the cancellation policy.

ED3: Awesome, looking like about half of them have very favourable cancellation policies. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, good news - I seem to have been misinterpreting the Booking.com prices as per-night, when they were total prices for 2-night bookings. At least I think so. Need to check better. I was cued in when D&E apartments was listed in both Booking.com and AirB&B, and it appeared to be half the price of the latter ;)

ED: Yep. Bookings.com confused me because a number of sites were for two separate properties, and it was selecting them both, listing the price on the right which was double the price on the left... so I was interpreting left-prices as per night and right-prices as total. GOOD! I was worried about those prices :)

Okay, I've got a spreadsheet of possible locations. Your feedback would be welcome - e.g. feel free to insist on certain ones, insist against other ones, etc:

Tesla Iceland Meetup - Shared Apartments

I'll do bookings tomorrow evening. Where places are similar, I'd prefer Bookings.com to AirB&B because apparently AirB&B will immediately charge me half of the total cost on my card (even though it's refundable). But both are acceptable. :)

Remember that it currently looks like we'll (statistically) need ~14 private rooms in shared apartments (including the ~20% increase as a precaution)

There's public EV charging in town, but obviously I'll ask the property owners if it'd be possible / allowable to charge at their place. One could always crossreference properties with public chargers on plugshare f they wanted ;) I included a comments section in the above spreadsheet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Christine69420
@KarenRei Have you tweeted this to "he who shalt not be named" yet? You never know, he is known to show up at quirky little events like this, wouldn't that be something! It would be the New Reykjavik Summit!

Also, thank you for all the work you are putting in to get this going. You never half-ass anything in your life do you?!

It's not in my nature. ;)

I'll slip subtle invites into replies on Twitter every now and then ;)

So, I was planning to reserve this evening, but since there's so many possibilities, I decided to go ahead and narrow it down by asking the owners about charging access. I've heard back from 5 so far (I've been updating the spreadsheet above with the info):

* 1 EVSE (strangely, this page no longer looks to be bookable, at all in 2020... yet the owner seems to have thought it is... will contact her again)
* 3 sockets near parking
* 1 with no access

AirB&B annoyingly blocked me from sending more info requests when I still had seven left to contact; I guess they thought it was spam, even though it really wasn't that many messages.

Booking.com let me send to everyone. Or at least I thought so. In my email account, I only got one "Your request for more information has been sent..." notification, so I *hope* they all went out.

• Helpful
Reactions: riverFox
I have an account with AirBnB. If you PM me the questions and recipients I could PM you back any answers I get.

Awesome! :) I was just sending them:

-----
Sæl <name>. Ég ætla að leigja húsnæði fyrir gesti fyrir Tesla-samkomu í seinni hluta júní. Áttu hleðslustæði fyrir rafbíla, eða innstungu nálægt bílastæði? Takk :)

- kv, Karen-----

(Two "l"s on Sæll if it's a man). But you could just write it in English:

-----
Hi <name>. I plan to rent space for some guests for a Tesla get-together in late June. Do you have a charger for EVs, or a plug near a parking space? Thanks :)
-----

The ones that hadn't been contacted thusfar are:

The Great Trip - Apartments for Rent in Reykjavík, Capital Region, Iceland
Luxorious ocean view villa near Reyjavik center - Houses for Rent in Kópavogur, Iceland
The Old Bicycle Shop, Reykjavik - group bookings - Houses for Rent in Reykjavík, Capital Region, Iceland
Close to Reykjavík, Comfort & Relaxation - Houses for Rent in Mosfellsbær, Capital Region, Iceland
Beautiful 3 Bedroom Downtown Apartment - Apartments for Rent in Reykjavík, Iceland

ED: Huh, it's now letting me again. Yeay! :)

ED2: Finished. :) Now I just have to hope that all of the Booking.com requests *actually* went through, even though I only got a confirmation mail from the first.

Only just saw this. What a great initiative, well done Karen for making it happen.

If I am still without job come June then who knows, maybe I’ll be given a pink slip at home to go last minute.

Eek, sorry to hear about the job :(

I've now heard back from about half of the places under consideration about charging. Only the one from Booking.com that I got an automated response to sent a reply back; I think that's the only one that went through, for some reason. Will send new requests to them again.

I figure that by tomorrow I should have enough charging info to make choices. :) But anyone who wants to offer feedback... there's a column in the spreadsheet for that! :)