Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Iceland Meetup 2020!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Karen, do you know of a fisherman who would be able to take us out for a day' fishing in salt water or should we just arrange it when we get there?
Thanks,
Winston.

Followup question: what type of fishing are you thinking of? E.g. are you talking about assisting a commercial fishing boat, or are you talking a private longline fishing trip?

Additionally: if you're into fishing, Iceland is also famous for its salmon fishing. Also arctic char and some other species.

Karen , Thanks for the replies,

I would probably have to start off with simple part boat type of a trip , if there are others in the group who are interested maybe we could organize a small private charter close inshore with around a minimum of 6 people maximum of 10.

Are there packing houses around that would smoke our catch or can or freeze the fish for us?

If we catch anything we could probably donate it to the TMC picnic that you are organizing , I would cook it and smoke it others wanted smoked fish.

Also would Iceland Air take the properly packed catch on as luggage and if the Iceland government will allow us to take the fish with us?

My age would not permit me working on a long line boat, those days of being able to withstand the rigors of multiple days at sea are gone for me.

What I am considering doing is to come over to Iceland for Sjómannadagurinn and exploring the fishing options and stay for the TMC meet-up.

Karen , Thanks for the replies,

I would probably have to start off with simple part boat type of a trip , if there are others in the group who are interested maybe we could organize a small private charter close inshore with around a minimum of 6 people maximum of 10.

Are there packing houses around that would smoke our catch or can or freeze the fish for us?

If we catch anything we could probably donate it to the TMC picnic that you are organizing , I would cook it and smoke it others wanted smoked fish.

Also would Iceland Air take the properly packed catch on as luggage and if the Iceland government will allow us to take the fish with us?

My age would not permit me working on a long line boat, those days of being able to withstand the rigors of multiple days at sea are gone for me.

What I am considering doing is to come over to Iceland for Sjómannadagurinn and exploring the fishing options and stay for the TMC meet-up.

Heh, these are interesting questions to ask a vegetarian ;) Here's what I do know:
  • You need to apply early for salmon (and I think char?) fishing permits, but not as early for other salmonids. The sooner the better. Salmon fishing is expensive, char mildly expensive.
  • Lake fish just require a card (veiðikort)
  • You can fish from the shore in the ocean for free
  • I know there are companies that offer angling tours at sea, though I can't name them off the top of my head. ;)
  • Your fishing gear has to be disinfected at customs when you arrive in the country (they just spray it; I think there's a minor fee)
  • I have no clue whether there's services for smoking / canning / freezing fish. Probably? I know there's a place out of town where they dry (commercial-scale) fish.... it's kind of creepy to see so many dead fish hanging there ;) That place is mainly for export, but dried fish jerky (harðfiskur) is quite popular here; you can even get it as a snack at gas stations.
  • I don't think airline regulations would be a problem, but your customs when you return might be. But I can't say for sure - you might want to ask your airline. :)
  • I don't have a grill (again, vegetarian here ;) ), but some of the Icelandic Tesla group locals likely do :) Some of the rented houses might as well? I'd have to check...
Anyway, if you want to take a survey of people here (such as with Google Forms), you can figure out who's interested in fishing trips and what kinds, so I know what all to ask about :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
Heh, these are interesting questions to ask a vegetarian ;) Here's what I do know:
  • You need to apply early for salmon (and I think char?) fishing permits, but not as early for other salmonids. The sooner the better. Salmon fishing is expensive, char mildly expensive.
  • Lake fish just require a card (veiðikort)
  • You can fish from the shore in the ocean for free
  • I know there are companies that offer angling tours at sea, though I can't name them off the top of my head. ;)
  • Your fishing gear has to be disinfected at customs when you arrive in the country (they just spray it; I think there's a minor fee)
  • I have no clue whether there's services for smoking / canning / freezing fish. Probably? I know there's a place out of town where they dry (commercial-scale) fish.... it's kind of creepy to see so many dead fish hanging there ;) That place is mainly for export, but dried fish jerky (harðfiskur) is quite popular here; you can even get it as a snack at gas stations.
  • I don't think airline regulations would be a problem, but your customs when you return might be. But I can't say for sure - you might want to ask your airline. :)
  • I don't have a grill (again, vegetarian here ;) ), but some of the Icelandic Tesla group locals likely do :) Some of the rented houses might as well? I'd have to check...
Anyway, if you want to take a survey of people here (such as with Google Forms), you can figure out who's interested in fishing trips and what kinds, so I know what all to ask about :)

Karen,
Thanks for providing the answers to my questions I appreciate it.

The other members of my party who were thinking of coming with me are having second thoughts and planing to go to warmer climes or not flying.

I am still planing to be there arriving a few days early and staying for the events, early days will be spent checking on ocean fishing, fish processing and the like.

I will check with my buddy Rick in California if he is allowed to fish these days , we have fished in Kenai Peninsula Alaska and Langara Island British Columbia.

Thanks again.

Reactions: KarenRei
Karen,
Thanks for providing the answers to my questions I appreciate it.

The other members of my party who were thinking of coming with me are having second thoughts and planing to go to warmer climes or not flying.

I am still planing to be there arriving a few days early and staying for the events, early days will be spent checking on ocean fishing, fish processing and the like.

I will check with my buddy Rick in California if he is allowed to fish these days , we have fished in Kenai Peninsula Alaska and Langara Island British Columbia.

Thanks again.

What, warm climes in the summer? Why would you do that? Warm climes are for the winter, cool climes for the summer! ;)

Karen , could you check from your end who owns this lodge in Iceland in the West Fijords for
COD AND HALIBUT SEA FISHING | FLATEYRI | ICELAND.
Fishing in Iceland | Sea Fishing Holidays | Sportquest Holidays
There is a tour company out of the Norfolk UK offering 10 day trips.

There are probably other companies that offer these types of multiday trips to other towns in the West Fijords.

Well, they don't give much info about the cabins, just that they exist ;) Not much to go on. Are you wanting me to just send the tour operator an email?

ED: Hmm, wait, 9 fishing cabins in Flateyri, you don't say? ;)

Google Maps

upload_2020-2-26_16-29-39.png

Iceland Pro Fishing
[email protected]

Last edited:
Hi Karen! @KarenRei

Are there any changes given the Coronavirus outbreak?

None right now. Right now Iceland is primarily a case importer, with limited domestic transmission (at least that we know about). The vast majority of our confirmed cases have been from people who went to Italy on skiing holidays, although there have been some cases of secondary transmission from them.

The global situation is evolving pretty quickly right now so I'd personally advise just sitting tight and seeing how things change. It's not like it'll be hard to get cheap last-minute tickets or reservations for things in this current geopolitical environment.

Regardless of what happens, whoever comes, we'll make it a good time. :)

None right now. Right now Iceland is primarily a case importer, with limited domestic transmission (at least that we know about). The vast majority of our confirmed cases have been from people who went to Italy on skiing holidays, although there have been some cases of secondary transmission from them.

The global situation is evolving pretty quickly right now so I'd personally advise just sitting tight and seeing how things change. It's not like it'll be hard to get cheap last-minute tickets or reservations for things in this current geopolitical environment.

Regardless of what happens, whoever comes, we'll make it a good time. :)
@KarenRei
Please stay, you are an educated voice of reason and facts.