Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog TMC Member Offers Tesla Model 3 First Look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]TMC Member Joseph Torbati is now showing off the second Model 3 to land in his Fremont, Calif.-based detailing shop.

In a video posted to YouTube, Torbati gives us a full walk around a red Model 3, showing off its keycard unlocking system, door handles, backseat, trunk and a perspective from the driver’s seat.[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxchT5sSOE” video_title=”1″][vc_column_text]Torbati says the face of the Model 3 has a “Porsche-like feel,” while the rear of the vehicle “looks like it’s meant to hold people.”

“I’m fairly convinced this car was meant to drive people around by itself,” Torbati said.

Torbati said he was a big fan of the view provided by the Model 3’s glass roof, but was not pleased with the finger-print attracting piano-black trim for the center console.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: CTreast
I don't like the fact that you need to take the key card out and touch it some place for the doors to unlock. Even in my lowly Nissan Leaf, I can keep the keys in my pocket and simply open the locks with a press of a button in the handle. Same goes for starting the car. No need to take the keys out of the pocket. It seems in M3 you need to touch the keys in a specific spot for the car to start..

I don't like the fact that you need to take the key card out and touch it some place for the doors to unlock. Even in my lowly Nissan Leaf, I can keep the keys in my pocket and simply open the locks with a press of a button in the handle. Same goes for starting the car. No need to take the keys out of the pocket. It seems in M3 you need to touch the keys in a specific spot for the car to start..

Normally you'll be using the Bluetooth on your phone.

TMC Member Joseph Torbati is now showing off the second Model 3 to land in his Fremont, Calif.-based detailing shop.

In a video posted to YouTube, Torbati gives us a full walk around a red Model 3, showing off its keycard unlocking system, door handles, backseat, trunk and a perspective from the driver’s seat.

[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/10/02/tmc-member-offers-tesla-model-3-first-look/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Nice!

I can see the rollers on the steering wheel being multifunction. When it's raining you press some button on the screen and for the next x minutes, the right roller controls the wiping speed. Or something. Am I being too optimistic thinking that a company from California will understand how to handle rain at some point?

Are the rollers just up-down, or do they have some left-right function too? Can you also click them down like the roller on a mouse?

That method is meant to be used in emergencies if your phone is dead, or as a convenience to loan a key to a valet, friend, or family member.

The primary method is to use your phone as the key and when doing so it won't have to be in a specific spot as the range of that signal is longer.

The catch is Tesla hasn't enabled the primary method yet. That may take a few weeks or months and then a software update will be available.

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
Am I being too optimistic thinking that a company from California will understand how to handle rain at some point?
Well, perhaps you should be optimistic. Last season (2016-2017) California got 87 cm (34 in) total rainfall average across the entire state. Some of the highest snowfalls in the US occur near Donner Pass on the route between Fremont, CA and the Gigafactory in Sparks, NV. Rainfall near Donner Pass totaled 301 cm (119 in).

Nice!

I can see the rollers on the steering wheel being multifunction. When it's raining you press some button on the screen and for the next x minutes, the right roller controls the wiping speed. Or something. Am I being too optimistic thinking that a company from California will understand how to handle rain at some point?

Are the rollers just up-down, or do they have some left-right function too? Can you also click them down like the roller on a mouse?
I can see left and right arrows next to those wheel buttons as well.

He didn't look that comfortable to me in the back seat. His knees were awfully high. That's what stood out for me the most.

Yeah it was the first time that I actually questioned the "roominess" of the M3. He did mention that he had the seat back a bit because it was set to how he would sit in the drivers seat, but it still didn't look much farther back than the passenger seat.

I read that Tesla had initial owners sign some sort of a non-disclosure agreement (can't recall the exact term).
I can understand that with the very early vehicles released to employees ......
I wonder how long that policy will remain?
I'm thinking that when everyday buyers start taking delivery there is no way that Tesla can continue to require silence.

Reactions: cwerdna
I read that Tesla had initial owners sign some sort of a non-disclosure agreement (can't recall the exact term).
I can understand that with the very early vehicles released to employees ......
I wonder how long that policy will remain?
I'm thinking that when everyday buyers start taking delivery there is no way that Tesla can continue to require silence.
Shop owners aren't Tesla employees.....so they don't have NDA's. They can say and show anything.

Tesla can't block that.

He didn't look that comfortable to me in the back seat. His knees were awfully high. That's what stood out for me the most.

In previous video he mentioned that he is 6 ft 3 inches tall, and in this video he mentioned that front seat is adjusted as for him to be comfortable in driving position. I think if you try that with one of the competitors, say BMW 330i, you likely change your opinion on Model 3 roominess.