Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC members enjoy arguing about the color of the sky for reasons unknown to the rest of the membership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the sky is blue - on earth.
Actually it’s red.

1635725053154.jpeg

Don't confuse the issue.

I was explaining the difference between trim & options, as per industry norms. If you want to think they are the same - you are welcome to do so.
You were asserting the difference. It doesn't matter what you call a collection of options (trim), the residual is still determined in the same way, what that collection of options sells for at auction.

It’s red. Even at night

I guess sometimes it is grey.

View attachment 727916

I imagine if you live in Seattle it is mostly grey.
That's only at the horizon, which is a small part of the night sky. Plus that looks purple, mostly blue with some red. And that's a long exposure, so it's really dark and doesn't add much to the average color of the sky. Gray is neutral so wouldn't affect the average color of the sky. It would only darken and desaturate it.

That's only at the horizon, which is a small part of the night sky. Plus that looks purple, mostly blue with some red. And that's a long exposure, so it's really dark and doesn't add much to the average color of the sky. Gray is neutral so wouldn't affect the average color of the sky. It would only darken and desaturate it.
Nope.

Sooo. How about those Elon tweets? 😅😅
I suggest when two people are going back and forth with a disagreement, take it off line, hash it out, and the come back to the forum and let us know if you've come to an understanding and what that understanding is, or that you can't agree on the points and leave it at that.

I suggest when two people are going back and forth with a disagreement, take it off line, hash it out, and the come back to the forum and let us know if you've come to an understanding and what that understanding is, or that you can't agree on the points and leave it at that.
Are we still talking about the color of the sky or???

Back and forth is fine.

Conversations flow into subtopics, also fine and often interesting.

Back and forth and back and forth and back... become thread spoilers.

Reactions: Nvbob
Me? It was qdeathstar who took exception to my statement that the sky is blue. I can only assume he was making a statement that anything can be argued in court? Or maybe he just likes to argue for argument's sake.

What color is your shirt?

I posted evidence it wasn’t blue though. And you wanted to go off on tangent about how grey is really just a sad version blue. Please.

I posted evidence it wasn’t blue though. And you wanted to go off on tangent about how grey is really just a sad version blue. Please.
I posted this. The night sky looks blue to me.
klemen-vrankar-lct_p8klcsc-unsplash-jpg.727922

And when you say red, that is a cognitive description; it's a response our eyes and brain have to a particular distribution of wavelengths; it's something we sense. When the light levels are as dim as they are at night, we don't see color, so a "red" that dim would just be shade of gray.

I wasn't saying that gray is blue, I was saying that if you average the various colors over the hemisphere of the sky and over time, that average would be a blue color. This would give use a single color that was representative of the sky's color. And in this context of an average, whenever gray clouds were in the sky they would not shift the average hue. They would make the average color both darker and less intense.

But now that you mention it, the color temperature of an overcast sky is between 7500K to 10,000K. If you check the image below, you'll see that is a pale blue color. That's also the color temperature of a blue sky, the clouds are just less intense in color.

512px-Color_temperature_black_body_800-12200K.svg.png

Also, I would argue that clouds are in the sky, and are not the sky proper. Therefore a red sunset is not the color of the sky, but the color of the sun and the clouds at the horizon. They appear red because the blue light has been scattered as the beams of light pass through the longer path of the atmosphere to our eyes. The sky above the clouds is still blue.

As for the first picture you linked, those are usually taken just after sunset when the sky appears dark to the eye. The purple color is due to the outer dim parts of the sun being refracted over the horizon. So this is direct light that makes it to our eyes just like at sunset, as opposed to the scattered light that make the sky blue.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I posted this. The night sky looks blue to me.
klemen-vrankar-lct_p8klcsc-unsplash-jpg.727922

And when you say red, that is a cognitive description; it's a response our eyes and brain have to a particular distribution of wavelengths; it's something we sense. When the light levels are as dim as they are at night, we don't see color, so a "red" that dim would just be shade of gray.

I wasn't saying that gray is blue, I was saying that if you average the various colors over the hemisphere of the sky and over time, that average would be a blue color. This would give use a single color that was representative of the sky's color. And in this context of an average, whenever gray clouds were in the sky they would not shift the average hue. They would make the average color both darker and less intense.

But now that you mention it, the color temperature of an overcast sky is between 7500K to 10,000K. If you check the image below, you'll see that is a pale blue color. That's also the color temperature of a blue sky, the clouds are just less intense in color.

512px-Color_temperature_black_body_800-12200K.svg.png

Also, I would argue that clouds are in the sky, and are not the sky proper. Therefore a red sunset is not the color of the sky, but the color of the sun and the clouds at the horizon. They appear red because the blue light has been scattered as the beams of light pass through the longer path of the atmosphere to our eyes. The sky above the clouds is still blue.

As for the first picture you linked, those are usually taken just after sunset when the sky appears dark to the eye. The purple color is due to the outer dim parts of the sun being refracted over the horizon. So this is direct light that makes it to our eyes just like at sunset, as opposed to the scattered light that make the sky blue.
If you are serious saying you can’t include clouds then you can’t include any of the other particles in the sky that reflect light. Therefore the sky must be black.

I’m pretty sure Elon agrees with me. I will tweet him and we will have our answer.

If you are serious saying you can’t include clouds then you can’t include any of the other particles in the sky that reflect light. Therefore the sky must be black.

I’m pretty sure Elon agrees with me. I will tweet him and we will have our answer.
Obviously, I'm saying the sky is made up of the things that make it blue--follow; the particles that strongly diffract the light, not reflect it. The sky would not be black if there was nothing that reflected an appreciable amount of light. The amount of light the sky reflects would look black to us.

Are birds part of the sky, or are they in the sky? The sky is what's left when there is not a cloud in it. It's the stuff that's always there.

Just because some wispy, thin layer of condensed water vapor blocks your view of the sky, doesn't mean the sky's not there.

What color is the sky when you put your hands over your eyes?

Last edited: