TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TMC Members Recreate NYTimes "Failed" Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Blog Archive' started by doug, Feb 16, 2013.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

BDPQ1hsCAAAsUKv.jpg

Tesla Motors Club (TMC) members are currently retracing the New York Times’ East Coast Supercharger test drive that over the past week has hit the headlines worldwide. You can follow their real time progress via the map and @TeslaRoadTrip twitter feed below.

For those that have been living under a rock, on February 8th John Broder from the New York Times published a story where, while testing Tesla's East Coast Supercharger route, he managed to run a Model S out of energy and had to be recovered by flatbed truck.

In the controversy that followed, Tesla CEO Elon Musk accused the review of being "fake" and published log data from the car showing discrepancies between the NYT account and what the car recorded. Mr. Broder claims these logs are inconclusive.

Inspired to prove what the Model S is capable of, seven (or more) TMC Members are retracing Mr. Broder's route. This time by getting a full 100% charge at the Milford, Connecticut Supercharger, they plan an overnight stay in Groton, CT (like Mr. Broder) before returning to the Milford Supercharger which the NYT journalist failed to reach.

<iframe src="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/TeslaRoadTrip/roadtrip-map.html" width="100%" height="540" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    <iframe src="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/twitter/Roadtrip-twitter-feed.html" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="border: none; max-width: 100%; min-width: 220px;" width="520" height="490" title="Twitter Timeline"></iframe>​

Related Forum threads:
    NYT article: Stalled on the EV Highway
    Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - We're on This Weekend!

2. atlg8or

atlg8or Model S 2x

Love it guys. Giddy up!

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

WOW, up to 10 so far!

4. Seegem

Seegem Member

Email this to the nyt! Well done guys, I'd have joined if my tesla arrived in time (next week!)!!

5. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

This is just awesome. Live coverage is a hoot! Happy Motoring!

6. dtich

dtich #P708

i hope you all got to contact tm and enable vehicle tracking and telemetry. would love to see a graph of all the cars stats overlaid for the whole trip, the charge state, the speed, etc. would be bitchen as they say out here...

kudos to you all for taking this on! hell hath no fury like a model s owner scorned..

BRODER-FREE ZONE!

7. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Tesla owners rock! A lot of happy people riding w you from afar. ML

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

It's awesome you guys are doing this. Hope you guys all make it to Boston w/o any issues. At least it'll be more ammo about the trip being totally doable, besides the CNN reporter.

9. pme

pme Member

Brilliant! Will be very interested to see NYT's take on this.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

The fault, dear Broder, is not in our cars,
    But in ourselves.

11. Thumper

Thumper Member

Bite it Broder!

12. Slackjaw

Slackjaw Member

Nice! Next time I go scuba diving, I might just intentionally half fill my tanks and drown halfway through the dive. That's Extreme Brodering.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Love the video! Great work guys!