Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TMC Navigation Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggest adding a "go to last unread" selection like the desktop version, or quite honestly, moving both mobile and desktop to always navigate to the newest post. I mean, who ever wants to start over?
I'll look into this and see what @doug thinks. You are right. The threads that I tested were not ones that I participated in so I didn't realize it was doing that. Adding a 'go to first unread' button into mobile is just a matter of figuring out where to put it. Changing the stock behavior, as per your other suggestion, of course is more complicated.

In case you're still interested in feedback...

Current
Top.png

Better
TopModified1.png

Best
TopModified2.png

There are still some minor issues to address, but we did just update navigation and it now includes the option to turn of the sliding mechanism such that only the 2nd row follows you down the page. In addition, the alerts/conversation/etc icons jump to the 2nd row when this happens so you still have access to them. To turn this on please follow these instructions:
preferences.png
real sliding option.png

Please report any bugs/issues.

Thanks.

There are still some minor issues to address, but we did just update navigation and it now includes the option to turn of the sliding mechanism such that only the 2nd row follows you down the page. In addition, the alerts/conversation/etc icons jump to the 2nd row when this happens so you still have access to them.

That seems to have cured my disappearing nav bar issue. Thanks.

Ok, but I think people mentioned this before... the intuitive thing to do to open threads is click on the thread title, especially on mobile since it's large and easy to "click". But I don't know ahead of time if a thread "last unread" flag has timed-out. So how would I know to click there, instead of the obvious place being the thread title to get to the last unread post?
So wait, I don't get it then.. if the avatar icon always takes you to the last unread post (even if it timed-out), why doesn't the thread title do the same thing? What's the purpose of the time-out then?
Why would anyone, ever, want to go to the first post if they haven't read a watched thread in 30 days or more?

I have the same situation as @HankLloydRight on mobile. Tapping the avatar to the left brings up my profile "popup", it doesn't take me to the latest unread - at least as far as I can tell. Maybe those are threads that I've read within the last 30 days? If so, that's inconsistent and a little confusing.

I can't find any threads I haven't participated in. ;)
You've got it right. This definitely seems to be a strange aspect of the interface, and since @danny doesn't typically participate in the vehicle threads, might explain why he couldn't reproduce it.
I suggest adding a "go to last unread" selection like the desktop version, or quite honestly, moving both mobile and desktop to always navigate to the newest post. I mean, who ever wants to start over?

Ok, I'm going to continue to bring this up, because it's extremely frustrating on mobile whenever I hit a watched thread that I've participated in, that has the main title link "timeout".

Danny and Doug -- you keep saying that you aren't making changes just because "you want them that way"... but I continue to fail to see any logic in the thread title "30 day timeout" to go to the first post in the thread. If there is logic behind this decision, which seems universally unpopular, PLEASE explain it. As I said above, "Why would anyone, ever, want to go to the first post if they haven't read a watched thread in 30 days or more?"

As demonstrated:

• One can not tell looking at the Watched Threads list which threads have timed-out
  • Clicking on the avatar doesn't work if you've participated in the thread
  • Clicking on the "little red dot" is impossible on mobile
  • It's extremely unintuitive and inconsistent for the Thread titles to not always go to "last unread post" and change behavior based on some arbitrary 30 day limit
  • Adding a "Go to first unread" on mobile clutters up an already crowded page
  • Adding a "Go to first unread" link still means one has to click twice to get to the last unread for threads that have timed-out, but only once for newer threads (still inconsistent)
  • If I'm already looking at the "Watched Threads (unread posts)" page, why would anyone, regardless of thread age want to go to the first post?
For example, on mobile, if I click the thread title on a thread that has timed out, I have to then:
  • Click on the tiny number link for the last page of the thread (and it's very hard to do this)
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page
  • Start scrolling backwards looking at the date/time of EACH POST to find the post that revived the thread
  • If there were a lot of new posts, I get to the top of the last page, and then have to repeat this exercise going backwards one page at a time, and continue searching bottom up for the "last unread post"
  • When I finally find the "first unread post" I can start reading the thread
Compared to threads that have not timed out:
  • Click on thread title, takes me directly to the first unread post

When Xenforo was first installed, this 30-day timeout was explained that the high-water marks were only temporary, and/or stored in cookies, so it was a limitation of the software. But as already demonstrated by the "red dot" and the "avatar" (as long as you didn't participate), neither of these hold true -- the forum keeps track of "last unread post" just fine.

So once again, I ask that the thread titles always go to "last unread post" regardless of thread age.

And if you can't or don't want to do that, PLEASE explain why leaving it this way makes any sense at all.

Thanks.

p.s. Tapatalk would be a dandy fix for this problem

Reactions: ohmman
we did just update navigation and it now includes the option to turn of the sliding mechanism such that only the 2nd row follows you down the page. In addition, the alerts/conversation/etc icons jump to the 2nd row when this happens

That's an excellent feature. I think "Disable navigation slide out" should be selected by default for all users. This feature is far superior to the current default setting. I love how the rarely used top menu items (Groups, Vendors, Conference) disappear when you scroll down and the 4 icons on the top right move to the second row. Excellent implementation!

@danny / admins, I believe TEG may have brought this to your attention but just wanted to make sure you were aware of a navigation request that we were discussing over in the Roadster forum. Thx in advance for your assistance.

Looks like "Roadster" is also missing in the slide out modal menu after clicking the hamburger.
Bumping this request. @danny, can your Roadster brethren get some site nav love pls?

I can't imagine the two have anything to do with each other.

Is anyone else experiencing something similar in Firefox?

Yup, there's a thread about it. For me the only way I can post is to use the reply button at the bottom of a post, which doesn't let me enter text, but posts the quoted post, and then I go back and edit the post to type in. Been happening for a few days.

Firefox not showing message entry box