TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TMC Navigation Update

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by danny, Nov 19, 2016.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Doug, Danny --- any comment on this?

This still remains to be a pain point on both mobile and desktop when I hit a thread more than 30 days old.

I still can't see the logic of going to the first post of a watched thread just because 30 days has elapsed.

If there is logic to this, can you please explain it?

thanks.

• Like x 4
  2. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Hey, it just happened with this thread for me. And I had to click "Go to First Unread." Again. Because, well, I've already read the other posts.. ;)

• Like x 3
  3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Sorry for the slow response on this. Extra busy with event stuff lately.

So I can't explain any logic to the software behavior. Appears to be a core function of the platform. There is an option to set how far back to remember the first unread. A little while back I had changed to to 60 or 90 days (don't remember which). I figured we could afford the extra overhead. However, when I made the change we immediately got a bunch of complaints about being brought to months old locations in a thread instead of first unread, so I changed it back.

4. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Hi Doug, thanks for your reply. TMC is the only XenForo forum I visit that has this timeout behavior.

Other forums, even with threads that are years old, the main thread link goes to the last post in the thread (for watched threads).

What you mention here with the 60 to 90 day thing seems strange, since that's not really the expected behavior for what I'm talking about. When people were being taken to "old locations" in threads I think was due to the initial database transfer and the last read index not being full updated. I know in another forum that upgraded to Xenforo, until you opened up a watched thread to the actual last post, the "last unread post" flag was totally wrong. It eventually corrected itself once you visited all watched threads.

If you changed the unread timeout to 60 or 90 days, it would just mean that the thread link takes you to the first post after 60 or 90 days, not to random placed within the thread. So I think that's a different setting you changed.

I don't run or admin Xenforo anywhere, but I'll look into it to see if I can find the right setting to change.

5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

#105 HankLloydRight, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Oh, I think I figured it out.. The "red dot" link does exactly what I want, every time. It always goes to "First Unread Post".

So the core forum functionality is there, and works perfectly.

It's just after 30 days, the main thread title link drops the "/unread" which is normally appended to it.

For instance, the thread title, for this thread once it times-out would be (goes to first post):
    HTML:
      https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tmc-navigation-update.81126
    But for the "red dot" and only threads that don't timeout (less than 30 days) it's always (goes to first unread post)
    HTML:
      https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tmc-navigation-update.81126/unread

So to fix this, just make the thread titles always have the "/unread" suffix -- which will always take the user to their last unread post for any thread they've ever visited.

I'd guess something in your custom code is resetting the main thread title to drop the /unread suffix, and not a Xenforo setting (that's just a guess, but I'll still look into it).

I can't see anyone complaining about the thread title always taking them to the first unread post, can you?

thanks.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

So as I've mentioned quite a few times now, I have the avatar (to the left of the red dot) set to always have the /unread at the end. So click on the thread starter avatar instead of the thread title and that should give you what you want.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

But that's only if you've participated in the thread. That doesn't work for threads you're just watching/sub'd.

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

#108 HankLloydRight, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Hi Doug, I'm not going away... take a look at this.

Here's an old thread that I've participated in, but has definitely "expired".

upload_2017-4-24_12-22-25.png

The thread title link goes to the first post.

The 'red dot' goes to /unread (impossible to click on mobile)

You say the 'avatar' goes to /unread, but it doesn't. It goes to my profile.

But if you dig deeper, you have two overlapping A HREF links in the SPAN, the profile link taking precedence over the /unread link.

upload_2017-4-24_12-23-59.png

They look like this (goes to profile):

upload_2017-4-24_12-24-29.png

and this (goes to /unread but not clickable unless you tap that 16 pixel wide grey area to the left of the avatar.. try that on an iPhone)

upload_2017-4-24_12-24-42.png

But my overall question remains, why does the main title link revert back to the first post after 30 days, while the "red dot" always works as desired? Why can't the main link just always link to /unread for every thread: never read, read, subscribed, and/or participated like every other Xenforo forum does? What do you lose by reverting the thread title back to /unread all the time?

And I also need to repeat, just looking at the thread list, there's no way to tell expired threads from current ones. So the intuitive thing is to click on the thread title (especially on mobile), and only then do we find out that uh-oh, this is an expired thread.. I now need to hunt down the first unread post. It requires several more clicks or taps on mobile or desktop.

This inconsistency makes using the site on mobile very frustrating, especially since you refuse to enable Tapatalk.

-Hank

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1