TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TMC Wiki test page

Discussion in 'Wiki' started by doug, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#1 doug, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by 21miDay: Sep 11, 2016
    Here's one

Two

This is a test wiki page.

Feel free to edit.

OMG wiki editing with revisions! :smile: Me likey.

So we are all supposed to edit each others posts? But my prose is perfect!

Wikis evolve over time - it is awesome to condense information that flows in the forums into references we can all easily find. It is valid and healthy to do contributions in directions that 'scratch your own itch'

My question is what would we write here that wouldn't be better off in Wikipedia? I think the world would win more if we maintained wikipedia's page with the same attention to detail we would these.

An answer from Slackjaw: With a Wikipedia page we lose control over the content, both for hosting and editing. If we have the wiki here, I suppose we can limit editing to trusted individuals. But yours is a good point.

Tesla Vehicle Models:

[WIKI]Roadster[/WIKI]
    [WIKI]Model S[/WIKI]
    [WIKI]Model X[/WIKI]

The Homer

homer-car.jpg <- doug

guy standing on his seat

1342610155000_01_tesla_19_4418672698x698r.jpg
    Why is the car wet? Where is his umbrella? (adding/editing text -easy enough)
    And what's with the yellow hat?

Place to link to another page

A fast Smart Car vid

a table

This

is

a table.
    added a row via ipad is easy too

cat

[​IMG]

The world needs more Krazy-Kat pictures.

[​IMG]

yea….
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

This section appears like a separate article

This is a main title

This is a sub title

Post the last observed Model S:

Reservation #
    Finalize Data
    Delivery Data
    (cite source & insert data on a top page banner)
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Test Header

Test by Francis

Want to test if it where possible to set up various links for additional equipment for the Model S as lights, camera, speakers etc.... Move if it works...:confused:

Test

Attached Files:

2. doug

test comment

3. loganss

loganss Spaceman

I like this addition the forum. The formatting looks very familiar. Is it powered by MediaWiki?
    I noticed this is different from the embedded Wiki Post used in the Model S First Drive Reviews post. Is this format going to replace that or are we keeping both? I'm guessing this implementation can't be intertwined with the regular forum posts like the other one.

4. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Looks perfect, easy to handle from mobile platforms, well iPad anyway.

5. doug

I spent a lot of time researching, installing, and testing various wiki solutions for the forum on a dev server. I decided on VaultWiki. Implementation wise it's rather different from MediaWiki. There exist several hacks to make a bridge to MediaWiki, but they were rather cumbersome. There are also wiki products that require a separate login, and those were clearly a no-go. I like VaultWiki because the wiki is stored essentially like a forum, the comments are basically a thread, and the editor uses the basic BBcodes seasoned forum users should be familiar with. There are also a few special BBcodes that only work in the wiki page.

This is a Lite version of the software. The full version costs money, but does have some nice additional features. If this wiki gets good usage, then we'll spring for the full version.

We'll try to keep both. The wiki-post thing is more of a hack. Basically a rework of the existing editpost.php to allow multiple users access to the edit feature. I have't seen any serious bugs yet, but it hasn't been really tested on a large scale. It does have a kind of version history, but that's only available to admins.

So I think this Wiki and the smaller wiki posts both have their appropriate places. For example, I think the wiki posts are more for thread summaries and updating changing info (like the highest Model X reservation number, etc). I see these Wiki Pages as more for references (e.g., history, how-to guides, FAQs, etc) and less about the discussion, though the discussion is still there.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Doug, speaking of wiki and money, has there ever been a Wikipedia/Jimmy-Wales-ish fundraising drive for TMC? Don't know anything about TMC's funding, but, would like to contribute my bit for such a great site...

7. loganss

loganss Spaceman

Thanks for the quick reply and implementing this. I've never used VaultWiki before. All these wikis start running together to me and it's hard for me to remember which is which. Might've been the BBCodes integration that made me think I've used it before.

8. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

+1 here.

9. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Love the addition of a wiki. It provides a great opportunity to condense information that otherwise flows in the forums and needs to be crosschecked against future overrides and corrections.
    However, having stated I love that we can collaborate on a wiki, I want to posit a question I also posted on the page: why not place the same dedication to maintain wikipedia pages? Seems the whole world would benefit more from the attention to detail.
    Some pages may be better off here (reservation tally + projection summaries; drivers/clubs/meetups pages etc) but maybe we can encourage people to keep pages about cars and company updated on widely-consumed media? Just a thought.

10. doug

There are plenty of interest specific wikis out there. Not everyone has to be Wikipedia. I'd think that other than Tesla's own website, we're a primary source for info on the company and its cars. The problem is a lot of that info is buried in threads and hard for both new and old folks to find. Would be nice to set this space as a reference section of the library with pointers to specific posts in threads for further reading. The other thing is place like Wikipedia has certain standards that we wouldn't necessarily want to adhere to. For example, Wikipedia doesn't allow original research, where as our primary value may actually be based on original research (i.e. personal experience).

We haven't in the past, but I think it would be nice to setup something for supporting members. Thing is we already give everything away, which I see as a good thing, but that doesn't leave many perks to offer. I suppose we can disable ads and add a "supporting member" badge or something.

11. spleen

spleen Active Member

+1 to this doug. I've gotten so much out of this forum, I'd be happy to contribute to operating funds. I'm a member of other forums that do something similar and it works out well.

12. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

I wouldn't mind contributing and keeping the ads, which can be a source of entertainment.

Are you taking suggestions for wikis?
    1. Standardized tests, like range and MPG (stopcrazypp has some good info), crash testing (IIHS, NHTSA), 0-60 with and without launch control, etc
    2. Charging standards (what does Avcon, SPI, LPI, J1772 mean?)
    3. EV comparison. which car has what kind of motor (induction, permanent magnet), motor power rating, battery chemistry, battery capacity, total HP/torque, range, charger capability, etc
    4. Charging info, including apps, about commercial networks, pricing, general location (nationwide vs NW, etc), capability

thanks

13. doug

You should already be able to make whatever articles you want. Just be extra careful with the titles. Normal threads have leading thread numbers that they carry around and that's all that showthread.php cares about. So changing a thread title doesn't matter that much. These wikis are handled a little differently and don't have those thread numbers. So having to change the title at some point in the future can have SEO and DB ramifications. Not a huge deal, but make an effort to get it right the first time.

14. doug

Ok, I added a modest Support TMC link on the main Forum page.

15. spleen

spleen Active Member

16. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Me too. Glad you were able to add this feature.

17. thedonald

thedonald Member

How do we add a new sub page? I see how to create a new topic at the root of the wiki, but not how to create a new sub-page.

18. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

#18 jhs_7645, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    From what I can tell, you add a sub page by the following:
    [noparse]
    [wiki=SubPage]Sub Page[/wiki]
    [/noparse]

-- edit --
    Scratch that, that just creates new top level pages.

19. doug

Sorry. Right now we're using the lite version of this wiki software (VaultWiki) which has limited features, but is still useful. I have been planning on buying and switching to the full version, but they've been almost done with the next version of the software for a while now. So I've been waiting a bit for that, hoping to upgrade once instead of twice.

20. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Another question for Doug, is there any reason why the table of contents is not autosizing based on the contents? It seems to be growing very tall, but the narrow width makes it unusable

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.